Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 04:10 PM

3,036 posts, read 5,914,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
ya she just might have joined to get on the gravey train to reap the benifits... but chickened out and got pregnant on purpose, to avoid killing plucking and cleaning the chicken
Remember a few years back when the Iraqi insurgents mortared a mess hall in Balad (I think)??? Not too safe deboning a chicken in a warzone. I think that probably qualifies as the "Dumb Post of the Day".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2009, 04:25 PM

3,036 posts, read 5,914,986 times
Another segment from USA Today. Good video interview with her..like..ya know...her mom. "ya know, she has a good job, making good money....." Sounds like she enlisted for all hte right reasons. Who needs all that responsibility stuff?

Lawyer: Soldier mom not using baby to shirk duty
Updated 11/18/2009 10:14 AM
By Alan Gomez, USA TODAY
Lawyer: Soldier mom not using baby to shirk duty - USATODAY.com

Old 11-25-2009, 04:39 PM

17,523 posts, read 24,772,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
The Army now will separate mother and child to get bodies to deploy. IMO this is nothing short of an outrage!!!

"Army has mom, Alexis Hutchinson, arrested and 11-month old son put into county foster care system. Alexis has now been ordered to deploy to Afghanistan on Sunday, November 15, where she will be court martialed."

Courage to Resist - Army sends infant to protective services, mom to Afghanistan (http://www.couragetoresist.org/x/content/view/789/1 - broken link)

(one a personal note: the response's to the topic might just tell us all what kind of country we have become. )
If the question is

Is this any way to treat a SOLDIER

A SOLDIERs first duty is to follow orders.

This person is by definition, not a soldier. If she had already done a tour I might feel different

Old 11-25-2009, 04:58 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,105,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
It's not as if the army stopped in midstep and "focussed" on this soldier. And mistakes in the military cause casualties. The army has folks (JAG, legal services, etc) that CAN sit and look at problems like this. And by the sound of this NYT article from the AP that is what they have been doing. It is not cut and dry from either side of everyones political agenda. But that doesn't make for good controversy so I' stop talking like that.

Soldier Mom Refuses Deployment to Care for Baby

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Published: November 17, 2009
Filed at 1:08 a.m. ET

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2009/11/17/us/AP-US-Soldier-Mom-Deployment.hml?_r=1&scp=2&sq=Alexis%20Hutchinson&s t=cse (broken link)

No one said the Army stopped and focused on this soldier. My point was that this situation, regardless of capacity, is fixable, and there are much bigger fish to fry.

I've tasted the uselessness and foot-dragging of the groups you mention. People may be looking at this type of case, but, like cops, they have other cases flying across their desks as well. Regardless of this soldier's situation, this would be stupid to end with the child in foster care and the mother in prison.

You are correct, it is certainly not cut and dry. That's why I don't know how people can so quickly sign-off this soldier when the details and report are sketch.

Old 11-25-2009, 05:16 PM

17,523 posts, read 24,772,710 times
OK all in favor of attacking that hill raise your hands.
Does everyone have day care?
Does anyone need to be excused?

DUH

Old 11-25-2009, 05:21 PM

2,404 posts, read 3,958,643 times
Default word is bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
The Army now will separate mother and child to get bodies to deploy. IMO this is nothing short of an outrage!!!
When she enlisted and got all her perks, salary, etc; how long did it state her maturnity leave was? 11 months seems an awful long time to be on maturnity leave. As a soldier, they should honor their agreements. I jest with the maturnity thing, it sounds like she got knocked up and no longer wanted to honor the terms of her enlistment.

Old 11-25-2009, 11:34 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,357,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66nexus View Post
I love when people try to act like the Army is a huge organization that runs very simply. And that you can't challenge anything they do. I can only imagine how bad my experience would've been with the Army if I had took everything they said for face value. Suddenly, it's not hard to imagine that you're a civvy contractor.

This woman in the wrong doesn't put the Army in the right. (again, both her and the Army could have done better with this situation) what I DO care about is the reaction to it, and the unwillingness for people to accept a MISTAKE.

The Army has so much energy to drag out what I would call a fixable situation, but meanwhile: suicides are up, soldiers are getting sent with medical problems...but yeah, let's focus on this soldier.

If there's one thing I've learned in the Army it's that: THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A FAIL-PROOF PLAN.

-Your seemingly cold and unforgiving nature is a testament to your character and your willingness to judge a person completely based on an article. Cold, callous, unfair.

PRAY: you never get caught up in a situation that goes flat (regardless of how 'prepared' you think you are). Perhaps you are the type of person that thinks it just 'doesn't happen to you'.
Apparently you enjoy making things up.
Off to the twit filter, I can't argue with an unarmed man.

Old 11-25-2009, 11:39 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,357,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mossomo View Post
When she enlisted and got all her perks, salary, etc; how long did it state her maturnity leave was? 11 months seems an awful long time to be on maturnity leave. As a soldier, they should honor their agreements. I jest with the maturnity thing, it sounds like she got knocked up and no longer wanted to honor the terms of her enlistment.
Then she should have applied for discharge.

Old 11-25-2009, 11:45 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,620,723 times
The problem is all of you are judging this situation based upon only what we read in the article. The military would not have gone to this extreme a step for only this one issue. More likely, there is more to this woman's story than is being talked about in public. The sense I'm getting is that she's been a problem long before this and she caused things to get to this point. I knew a guy who claimed he got kicked out the Navy because he got into an argument with his first class PO. What he neglected to say was that he'd already been busted once for stealing and a few months later, during the argument, he pulled a knife on the PO1 and it was the PO1's personally engraved knife.

Old 11-27-2009, 08:40 AM

2,881 posts, read 6,105,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Apparently you enjoy making things up.
Off to the twit filter, I can't argue with an unarmed man.
If you say so...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies