Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2009, 11:43 AM

1,780 posts, read 2,355,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarlilesiu View Post
She understood that the military is a deployable force. She was provided adequate information that she will probably be deployed. She voluntarily signed the paperwork, collected half the signing bonus, could have begun using the benefits of being a soldier, and then when the deployment came... she "couldn't go".

Too bad. I feel sorry for the child, but the mother made a conscience decision to sign a contract which includes deployment possibilities.

Why would anybody feel sorry for her?
I seriousl hope more people do not think like this. So cold and heartless of a comment, I dont understand how anyone could say such a thing. She was trying to do the right thing. Why cant any of you see that? I am assuming none of you are single parents that have had to sacrifice anything for your child. That is just what this woman did, she knew what could happen, she knew she could get a court martial, but she still did it. Why would any sane person choose to risk their entire life and risk being reported as AWOL, tossed in prison, dishononably discharged and have the rest of your life ruined? The answer is simple for a child.

Think about it, we have all seen the pictures of soldiers carrying a lifeless body of a child or hearing stories of soldiers who got in the line of fire to save some child(ren) they dont know. It is a natural instinct that normal healthy minded people have, to protect the young and weak. This can include Children, Women, men, the handicaped, special needs and the elderly. We are supposed to protect the weak it is our duty no matter if you are in the military or not. This woman, was doing just that. There comes a time when human nature kicks in and does what it was intended to do. The woman was doing what came naturally to her, the duty to protect her young. All of you would be pissed off and disgusted with her if she had said screw the kid I have a duty to my country. I dont care what you say, you would. Either way this woman loses, she is not the winner in either scenario. Lose her kid or lose her career and possible go to jail. No matter how I set the scenario up...I would still do the same and bet she would as well.

Imagine, your a single parent in the military. You have a family plan that you think is solid and have no reason to doubt it. All of a sudden your called to duty and your plan falls through. Immediatly you scramble to find someone who can take the kid, you tell your CO what has happened and he gives you an extension. Your releaved because you have more time to find a decent healthy place for your child to stay. The next day, your CO calls and says he has cancelled your extension and you need to report immediatly. Your only option is to abandon your child and go to war or risk everything you have to protect your child.

I think I know the outcome...atleast to those of us who have a heart, soul, and sense of humanity left. We would choose to protect that one child. Risk everything in our life to protect that child.

Only a brainwashed military minded, cold hearted, (insert choice word) could abandon that child and choose their "duty"(job) over what is natural. Sorry, but the military brainwashes soldiers to think the military and govenment is never wrong and even when they are you still do what your told. If you dont think they brainwash, then why do they work so hard to break you down into nothing in boot camp to build up a soldier. They make it so you depend on them 100%. For a few, this brainwashing doesnt work and for some the brainwashing works and they arent even in the military.

If you dont think they brainwash you think again. But I understand if you cant think that way...your probably a soldier. Think about it...it doesnt take much to be a soldier...learn to fight, shoot, and military tactics...that should take no longer than two weeks maybe three.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2009, 11:55 AM

2,059 posts, read 4,210,726 times
[quote=fracturedman;11678227]
Quote:
Think about it...it doesnt take much to be a soldier...learn to fight, shoot, and military tactics...that should take no longer than two weeks maybe three.[/
QUOTE]

well if you think its so easy then join.
with two or three weeks of training you'd be the perfect point man.
the bottom line is she knew what she was in for before she joined and the army all ways tells you to have a back up plan.

Old 11-18-2009, 12:04 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,257,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fracturedman View Post
I seriousl hope more people do not think like this. So cold and heartless of a comment, I dont understand how anyone could say such a thing. She was trying to do the right thing. Why cant any of you see that? I am assuming none of you are single parents that have had to sacrifice anything for your child. That is just what this woman did, she knew what could happen, she knew she could get a court martial, but she still did it. Why would any sane person choose to risk their entire life and risk being reported as AWOL, tossed in prison, dishononably discharged and have the rest of your life ruined? The answer is simple for a child.

Think about it, we have all seen the pictures of soldiers carrying a lifeless body of a child or hearing stories of soldiers who got in the line of fire to save some child(ren) they dont know. It is a natural instinct that normal healthy minded people have, to protect the young and weak. This can include Children, Women, men, the handicaped, special needs and the elderly. We are supposed to protect the weak it is our duty no matter if you are in the military or not. This woman, was doing just that. There comes a time when human nature kicks in and does what it was intended to do. The woman was doing what came naturally to her, the duty to protect her young. All of you would be pissed off and disgusted with her if she had said screw the kid I have a duty to my country. I dont care what you say, you would. Either way this woman loses, she is not the winner in either scenario. Lose her kid or lose her career and possible go to jail. No matter how I set the scenario up...I would still do the same and bet she would as well.

Imagine, your a single parent in the military. You have a family plan that you think is solid and have no reason to doubt it. All of a sudden your called to duty and your plan falls through. Immediatly you scramble to find someone who can take the kid, you tell your CO what has happened and he gives you an extension. Your releaved because you have more time to find a decent healthy place for your child to stay. The next day, your CO calls and says he has cancelled your extension and you need to report immediatly. Your only option is to abandon your child and go to war or risk everything you have to protect your child.

I think I know the outcome...atleast to those of us who have a heart, soul, and sense of humanity left. We would choose to protect that one child. Risk everything in our life to protect that child.

Only a brainwashed military minded, cold hearted, (insert choice word) could abandon that child and choose their "duty"(job) over what is natural. Sorry, but the military brainwashes soldiers to think the military and govenment is never wrong and even when they are you still do what your told. If you dont think they brainwash, then why do they work so hard to break you down into nothing in boot camp to build up a soldier. They make it so you depend on them 100%. For a few, this brainwashing doesnt work and for some the brainwashing works and they arent even in the military.

If you dont think they brainwash you think again. But I understand if you cant think that way...your probably a soldier. Think about it...it doesnt take much to be a soldier...learn to fight, shoot, and military tactics...that should take no longer than two weeks maybe three.
I was in the Army for three years and I never felt brainwashed...Or maybe they brainwashed me to think I wasn't brainwashed..

"Think about it...it doesnt take much to be a soldier...learn to fight, shoot, and military tactics...that should take no longer than two weeks maybe three."

Are you telling me I wasted three years of my life training?
You mean I could have gone home for all but 2 or 3 weeks of that time...Man did I ever screw up...I let them keep training me for 3 years and I only needed 2 or 3 weeks, live and learn I guess.....

Old 11-18-2009, 12:05 PM

3,036 posts, read 5,898,703 times
Quote:

You take an AWFUL lot for granted in this story. And you have a terrible misconception of the military. It is more than mindless robotic following of orders. I can't speak for the rest here but I'm not trying to change your opinion. My point is to simply get you to glance at another point of view; which you seem unable and unwilling to do. I just hope you're a person trying to get people fired up and angry and not as biased as you sound.

Old 11-18-2009, 12:08 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,257,541 times
Quote:
Instantly a few thought come to mind...none of which are polite. How do we know your not just some punk kid who pretends or fantisizes about being in the military? You certainly sound like one. "...your familiy consists of those on your Squad, Platoon, Company etc etc. Your family consists of those on your left and right." this is a load of crap. Your Family is of the same bloodline as you, they are your brothers, sisters, mothers, fathers, sons, daughters, aunts, uncles, grandparents, etc, etc. But this country has found a way to forget that. The family unit is a joke in America becasue of people like you. People who put friends, and work before family. Do me a favor and DONT BREED. That goes for anyone who does not see the actuall issue in this subject. If all you see is a woman who went AWOL for no good reason...please have your tubes tied or get it snipped. The last thing we need is more people like that....actually second though...go ahead and breed your children can be raised to KILL...KILL...KILL AND "Die for their country"...dont make me laugh(too late). People who think they are serving their country are full of it. I have never met anyone who signed up because they want to serve their country. They signed up for the money or the perks, or they got drafted.

Forgive me if I dont just take orders without questioning their reasons first. I once thought like you and others on this thread...but I grew up and got informed. We didnt end slavery...we just made it volentary.

Dont get me wrong, I am not anit-troop, I support our troops in all their decisions. It takes alot to give up your life for no good reason and to die for people who will never know your name or that you even existed. Where you are only famous because your dead. Sorry, but no sympathy from me..you died knowing that is what could have happened. Why should I simpithize with someone who knowingly signed their own death certificate?

Sorry, but i have no sympathy for those that choose to die in the service of their country...sound terrible doesnt it?

Well so does having no sympathy for a woman who was just trying to make sure her CHILD was cared for. But your right, she should have just said screw the kid, I can always have more. Right? I mean whats the lose of one child when there are millions in the world today. I mean whats one more kid in the foster system? Those kids are never screwed up or scared because their own parent abandoned them. And the Mom would be fine as well, knowing that she has a kid out there being raised by god knows who? The kid could be on the steets or worse...dead. But she shouldnt care about that. Nope she should just ignore NATURAL MATERNAL INSTICTS she has and go die for glory and counrty, am I right?

Again I have to ask...if the Government can hold us to our oaths, why cant we hold them to their? Oh, thats right they are here to protect and serve us....lol. No, we are their minions we are to do as we are told or suffer the consequence. Arent we supposed to be the one that controls them? They are there because we put them there. In the military your word is your bond, you say your going to do something and you hold to it, right? Like the woman should have? Like our government should have when they told her she had more time to find care for her child?

Hey, maybe Im wrong. But so far no one has proven it and like most of you have said...we dont have all the story. I am sure there is alot more to it, but I can assure you there is alot more to both sides of this story.
"Sorry, but i have no sympathy for those that choose to die in the service of their country...sound terrible doesnt it?"

Yeah it really does !!!!!!!!!

Old 11-18-2009, 12:19 PM

3,036 posts, read 5,898,703 times
It was worth saying then and worth saying now:

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. (They have)... no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

John Stuart Mill

English economist & philosopher (1806 - 1873)

Quote Details: John Stuart Mill: War is an ugly... - The Quotations Page

Old 11-18-2009, 12:28 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,909,020 times
Quote:

and why can't you understand, 90% of the people don't agree with you, so maybe you need to sit back and think this thing out..For someone who claims to know so much about the military you know very little about basic training and what is involved. It is a little more than learning to shoot a gun and fight..

As for her having a plan she thought was solid, did you read the history and the circumstances? Of course it wasn't solid..You mentioned she would lose her kid, why would you think or say that?

Obviously your mind is so closed on this issue you can't even see the other side of the coin..I don't know why any of us, me particularly are bothering to answer your responses...

Nita

Old 11-18-2009, 12:31 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,909,020 times
[quote=RANGER.101ST;11678442]
Quote:
QUOTE]

well if you think its so easy then join.
with two or three weeks of training you'd be the perfect point man.
the bottom line is she knew what she was in for before she joined and the army all ways tells you to have a back up plan.
I don't think Fracturedman really cares as much about the family, I think there is a hidden hatred for the military..Thank God not all Americans feel that way.

Nita

Old 11-18-2009, 12:33 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,953,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I don't think Fracturedman really cares as much about the family, I think there is a hidden hatred for the military..Thank God not all Americans feel that way.

Nita
Hidden? No, it's not hidden at all. It's right out in the open where we can all see it.

Old 11-18-2009, 12:43 PM

2,229 posts, read 1,689,732 times
Quote:

Wow.

Your true colors are shining through.

Your motivation here isn't for the child, its for anybody that opposes the military and their obligation to serve in it as agreed. The child in this story is nothing more than a pawn.

Its quite apparent that you have no understanding or concept of the military. You don't even know what they are training about, or hell.. that they have alot more people than grunts running around shooting guns.

I feel sorry for your ignorance... but I still don't feel sorry for this women.

SHE SIGNED THE CONTRACT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies