Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2009, 08:14 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,678,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Go to a rape counseling session and tell the victims of date rape,..."stop getting drunk and stupid. Problem solved...geeze lady, take responsibility for yourself!"
Imagine a male judge telling a rape victim something like that. I had started drinking after Desert Storm. My drinking got worse after I'd decided to divorce my wife. It was at that time that these two guys tried to take advantage of my condition. I take responsibilty for my condition, I don't take responsibility for their actions. That's like blaming a rape victim for dressing a certain way. I did give up drinking and haven't gotten drunk in close to 15 years. Your callous disregard for their actions shows your lack of respect and concern for such behavior. Guess it's perfectly fine for gay men to try to date rape another man but heaven help the straight man who tries the same thing with a woman.
While I am not trying to excuse the behaviour of those two men, I think it might be helpful to you to just think of them as PEOPLE who tried to take advantage of you rather than demonizing homosexuals. Had they been female friends who you feel as violated and be biased against women forever? I TOTALLY agree they shouldn't have done what they did...but your reaction seems a bit over the top IMHO considering nothing happened. Its very unfair to lump gays (or any group) all together just because you happened to run across a few bad apples.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2009, 08:26 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,552,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
While I am not trying to excuse the behaviour of those two men, I think it might be helpful to you to just think of them as PEOPLE who tried to take advantage of you rather than demonizing homosexuals. Had they been female friends who you feel as violated and be biased against women forever? I TOTALLY agree they shouldn't have done what they did...but your reaction seems a bit over the top IMHO considering nothing happened. Its very unfair to lump gays (or any group) all together just because you happened to run across a few bad apples.
I can tell myself that and you can tell me that but that's how I feel. It's better now than it was then. The only reason why nothing happened the second time was because the base police arrived to stop him. I wasn't able to fight him off. I'd never drunk that much booze before. I realized what he was trying to do but couldn't stop him. The base police saw him and stopped him.

I don't want to go into any more detail on that incicent.

Old 10-11-2009, 10:31 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,665,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
It is likely to cause some serious problems within combat units.
Only those units reputed to be intolerant of gays within them.

Old 10-11-2009, 11:02 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,665,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
The logical side of me knows that these were probably two isolated incidents and because of the four gay guys on my first ship, I know that not all gay men act that way. But that doesn't change how I feel inside after those incidents. Those incidents changed me in a bad way. I felt that this was my fault and maybe I might have sent them the wrong signals. I went out of my way to be girl crazy and it led me on a downward spiral of prostitutes, broken relationships, and serious trust issues. There were thoughts of jumping ship in the middle of the Atlantic and hope they never find me. I'm better now but I do still feel the trust issues. I would never have lasted these five years with my wife if I hadn't worked through these issues and talked with her about them. You can say not all gay men do this, I can realize not all gay men do this, but it still haunts me all these years since spring 1993.
Then maybe you speak for thousands of straight guys, whether ever in the military, or not. And maybe your unfortunate experiences explains where so much of this hatred against gays come from. A gay guy comes on to a straight guy. And so as a result, the straight guy suddenly feels less straight or not a real heterosexual anymore. And so resents the gay person for making him feel the way he does and hates gays from then on.

Old 10-11-2009, 11:11 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,693,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Then maybe you speak for thousands of straight guys, whether ever in the military, or not. And maybe your unfortunate experiences explains where so much of this hatred against gays come from. A gay guy comes on to a straight guy. And so as a result, the straight guy suddenly feels less straight or not a real heterosexual anymore. And so resents the gay person for making him feel the way he does and hates gays from then on.
It shows how strongly our society favors heterosexuality over homosexuality.

From a recent Pew Research study:
More than six-in-ten Americans (64%) say gays and lesbians face a lot of discrimination, more than any other group asked about in the August 2009 survey. Gays and lesbians are seen as facing more discrimination than Muslims (58%), Hispanics (52%) or blacks (49%). Even fewer say there is a lot of discrimination against women (37%), evangelical Christians (27%), atheists (26%) or Mormons (24%).
Majority Continues to Support Civil Unions: Overview - Pew Research Center for the People & the Press (data at the bottom of the page)

Old 10-11-2009, 11:20 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,678,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
GOOD GRIEF...in reality probably 95% of "this hatred" comes from IGNORANCE!!!

Old 10-12-2009, 02:28 PM

597 posts, read 1,299,189 times
I might agree with homosexual in armed forces, under certain conditions, for them to work as cooks, nurses, housekeepers, office-boys, etc.. Unlike warriors.
Even so, they should behave in a decent military rules.

Old 10-12-2009, 02:29 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,576,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAZILIAN View Post
I might agree with homosexual in armed forces, under certain conditions, for them to work as cooks, nurses, housekeepers, office-boys, etc.. Unlike warriors.
Warriors? LOL, ok.

Old 10-12-2009, 03:35 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,693,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAZILIAN View Post
Oh my. Your stereotyping is so absurd to me - I think it's funny.

If those are your opinions, however, I would expect you feel the same way about women in the military, right?

Old 10-12-2009, 03:41 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,576,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Oh my. Your stereotyping is so absurd to me - I think it's funny.

If those are your opinions, however, I would expect you feel the same way about women in the military, right?
I suspect he'd feel that the women could learn cooking from the gay men. After all, even though they may be gay, they are men & as we all know, men are better at everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies