Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 02:51 PM

47,140 posts, read 26,290,770 times

Advertisements

Greatday, have you stopped to ponder the fact that every single of your arguments (such as they are) were used to fight desegregation in the armed forces?

"You can't change military culture". Well, actually, yes. It's been done before.

"They won't be safe." That was of course the argument leveled against having mixed-race unit - that the white soldiers couldn't be expected to manage their emotions and would somehow hurt, actively or not, their fellow servicemen of a different race.

I have a much higher opinion of the US armed forces than that. If you're going to do anything less than your duty towards a comrade-in-arms, you're a poor excuse for a soldier. (Not great shakes as a human being, either.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2009, 02:52 PM

4,788 posts, read 5,929,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
"Watch my 6" is military "speak" for, you watch my back I'll watch yours.
Roger. ten four.

Old 10-11-2009, 02:53 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,777,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Greatday, have you stopped to ponder the fact that every single of your arguments (such as they are) were used to fight desegregation in the armed forces?
I was thinking the exact same thing. I already know what the response will be:

"Yeah, but this is different."

Old 10-11-2009, 02:54 PM

20,342 posts, read 37,459,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
Nope, no military. And yes, that is the issue, isn't it? You're the one who brought it up about the consequences of being gay in the military. Like I said, they are the ones w/the problem if they can't handle serving w/a gay man. They don't deserve to be in the military, perhaps they should get discharged if the concept of team is hindered by their homophobia.
You have no idea of what you talking about, because you are thinking emotionally. Unless you have served in the military you can't understand why the military rules haven't been removed. Why should a majority of the military members be discharged for being heterosexual?

The military rules are very clear, just like donating blood. For example, anybody visiting or spending time in certain parts of the world are restricted from donating blood, and the same for anybody participating in homosexual sex.

Old 10-11-2009, 02:56 PM

4,788 posts, read 5,929,254 times
I find it ironic that people feel the soldiers are somehow "threatened" in some way by gays in the military. I would think hand grenades would be far more intimidating. Other countries have gays in the military, and they don't seem to be popping their fear corks. Maybe the US should ask them how it's working out ?

Old 10-11-2009, 02:57 PM

9,802 posts, read 16,288,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
Nope, no military. And yes, that is the issue, isn't it? You're the one who brought it up about the consequences of being gay in the military. Like I said, they are the ones w/the problem if they can't handle serving w/a gay man. They don't deserve to be in the military, perhaps they should get discharged if the concept of team is hindered by their homophobia.

Maybe we should have 1 boot camp--------men,women, gays, bisexuals---------all together.

All dressing ,showering,and using the same communal bathroom.

If anyone objects------"They don't deserve to be in the military"

Aye, Karfar ?

Old 10-11-2009, 02:58 PM

8,994 posts, read 14,841,616 times
Why the use of the word homosexual?
I know very few gay and lesbian people who refer to themselves as "homosexual."

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
You have no idea of what you talking about, because you are thinking emotionally. Unless you have served in the military you can't understand why the military rules haven't been removed.
The same was said when the idea of integrating blacks was first introduced.

And why do you think every other military in the modern world has been able to allow everyone to serve openly regardless of sexual orientation? What is it about the American military that makes sexual orientation different?

Quote:
The military rules are very clear, just like donating blood. For example, anybody visiting or spending time in certain parts of the world are restricted from donating blood, and the same for anybody participating in homosexual sex.
I fail to see what that has to do with allowing people to be open about their sexual orientation in the military. We're not talking about sharing body fluids here. All that's going to happen is that a guy or girl will be able to say that he or she likes the same sex without having to fear being discharged.

Once this happens, I swear, we're going to look back and wonder, "What was all of the panic about?"

14,100 posts, read 28,651,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
You have no idea of what you talking about, because you are thinking emotionally. Unless you have served in the military you can't understand why the military rules haven't been removed. Why should a majority of the military members be discharged for being heterosexual?

Though I haven't been overseas since 1996 I'm still to this day forbidden from donating blood. I hand over a written list of countries I've been to and how long I was there. They go to the office and check the list off a manual they have and come back telling me I still can't give blood. I do this every year. I use to donate about three times a year. Places I've been to are Spain, Gibralter, Monaco, France, Italy, Malta, Greece, Romania, Bulgaria, Ukraine, Turkey, Israel, Egypt, Tunisia, Morocco, Saudi Arabia, Baharain, Dubai, and Cuba (GITMO).

Old 10-11-2009, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Maybe we should have 1 boot camp--------men,women, gays, bisexuals---------all together.

All dressing ,showering,and using the same communal bathroom.

If anyone objects------"They don't deserve to be in the military"

Aye, Karfar ?
In a mature world, I don't think there would be anything wrong with that.

The goal is to let everyone serve openly, however. I would even rather see separate living quarters for non-heterosexuals than to ban them altogether. There's no reason why anyone should be fired from a job for simply saying that he or she likes the same sex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies