Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2009, 09:48 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,081,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
I'm going to San Antonio. I'll be visiting my daughter in the Army and I have a feeling she could get them cheaper for me at the PX but she is also a smoke nazi and won't help me. So if you know any place in that area I'd be happy to find out. Misty cigs are cheaper than most brands but even they are now almost $50 a carton. I'm retired. I can't afford this. But I know after 50 years of smoking I probably can't stop either.
OH man! From what I saw today, even the name brands here are about $40/carton and the off-brands are $30-36 so, yeah, you will save money. When I lived in South Texas, I bought my ciggies at a chain called Circle K -- they were everywhere. BUT I think they changed the name on their stores to Stripes. (Stupid name, don't know why they did it.)

Anyhoo, look for Circle K or Stripes. They had their own brand called Austin cigarettes, which were good and quite cheap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2009, 09:50 PM

1,019 posts, read 2,765,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
We all know that smokers tend to be less educated and lower income
You mean like President Obama?

Anyways...If we're going to set precadent by taxing things that unhealthy and 'obnoxious' we need to do a strait tax on calories. A human should consume roughly 2000 calories per day, and daily tax of $2.00 isn't that outrageous, so that works out to a tax of 0.1 cent per calorie. A Big Mac meal has something like 1000 calories, but even something that unhealthy would only have its price raised by a dollar. Not terrible really. Also, consider that it already has a family tax credit built in: children eat less!

But, assuming 2000 calorie diets for every American (some are more, like fat people, and some are less, like the anorexic or children, or anorexic children), you'd raise an additional $219 billion a year! We could have all the free health care we could ever want! The best part is, once people get used to the tax, we can easily raise it by pretending that our goal is really to encourage healthy eating! People complain about paying the tax, just tell them to get off their lazy asses and eat healthier! It's brilliant!

Old 03-12-2009, 09:51 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,146,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
OH man! From what I saw today, even the name brands here are about $40/carton and the off-brands are $30-36 so, yeah, you will save money. When I lived in South Texas, I bought my ciggies at a chain called Circle K -- they were everywhere. BUT I think they changed the name on their stores to Stripes. (Stupid name, don't know why they did it.)

Anyhoo, look for Circle K or Stripes. They had their own brand called Austin cigarettes, which were good and quite cheap.
Thanks a bunch. I will certainly be doing some "shopping" in Texas. Heck, if Wisconsin doesn't want to be reasonable, I'll just give my tax money to Texas.

Old 03-12-2009, 10:06 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,979,945 times
Quote:
I'm retired. I can't afford this. But I know after 50 years of smoking I probably can't stop either.
My cigs average about $1.00 a pack. On April 1, that number will increase to about $2.00 a pack.

Old 03-12-2009, 10:09 PM

620 posts, read 1,778,136 times
Quote:
My cigs average about $1.00 a pack. On April 1, that number will increase to about $2.00 a pack.
Seriously? What brand is that?

Old 03-12-2009, 10:13 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,979,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Samadhi View Post
Seriously? What brand is that?
LOL. Various one's. It depends on what i'm in the mood for. Here's a link for you to check out that will explain things more: RYO Cigarettes | Roll Your Own Cigarette Tobacco | RYO Revolution. Happy Savings!

Old 03-12-2009, 10:18 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,113,440 times
Quote:
That's odd. Most of my college professors smoked pipes or cigars.

Nope, smoking is just the current "boogeyman." I'm rather looking forward to what/who the libs will form lynch mobs about next. My bet is on fat people. Aren't the lib cities/states starting to put BMI scores on kids' report cards now or has that been struck down?

New York is now taxing non-diet sodas, I believe. That's really bizarre because those artificial sweeteners are super-bad for people and they're sneaking the stuff into everything. I'm highly allergic to it and I have to read labels carefully or I get really sick if I mistakenly ingest it. It would truly suck to have to pay more for products with a NATURAL sweetener but oh well!
By the way, I am far from being a liberal. I'm extremely conservative but even us conservatives enjoy breathing.

Old 03-12-2009, 10:22 PM

Quote:
LOL. Various one's. It depends on what i'm in the mood for. Here's a link for you to check out that will explain things more: RYO Cigarettes | Roll Your Own Cigarette Tobacco | RYO Revolution. Happy Savings!
Actually, they're hammering the bulk, loose tobacco with taxes, too. I read folks complaining on another forum. Heh, they've decided to grow their own tobacco.

Old 03-12-2009, 10:25 PM

620 posts, read 1,778,136 times
Quote:
LOL, it sounds naughty, but...you definitely excited me with the whole "2 dollars" thing. You made me happy!

Quote:
Actually, they're hammering the bulk, loose tobacco with taxes, too. I read folks complaining on another forum. Heh, they've decided to grow their own tobacco.
And then teatime made me sad...

I still won't stop myself from checking out that link, though.

Old 03-12-2009, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Thanks a bunch. I will certainly be doing some "shopping" in Texas. Heck, if Wisconsin doesn't want to be reasonable, I'll just give my tax money to Texas.
You might as well! I hope the store name change is just that -- it used to be a really fab chain to pick up cheap cigs and even meals! They had ladies there cooking chicken, tacos, all sorts of things.

Hope you have a great trip! I think next week's forecast looks really nice. Right now, West and Central Texas is cold and rainy but we REALLY needed the rain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies