Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 09:13 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,023,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCreass View Post
I don't care if they double, or even quadruple in price. Tax the s**t out of those cancer sticks, for all I care.
I'm with you on this!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2009, 10:27 PM

3,320 posts, read 4,131,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
Obama and Pelosi's Government should put a $1.50 tax on condoms.

People aren't going to stop coupling. The Dems should have thought of that a long time ago. It could help offset the taxpayer's expense on the study on pig odor in Iowa.
Hello, all those pork chops and ham salads that republicans and democrats love to eat are stinking this place up pretty bad. How would you like a lagoon full of hog urine just down the road from you ? Would you open up your windows and exclaim "Honey, I love the smell of newly fallen fecal matter on a fresh spring morning, do you know if the Robinson's received an offer on their house yet ?

Iowa is the top pork producer in the nation because hogs grow faster and taste better when they are fed corn. Any solutions that can be found for odor control is money well spent, and will save you money at the grocery store. We could produce more livestock in more locations if odor was not a problem for the local residents.

Old 03-14-2009, 11:30 AM

15 posts, read 20,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
20......Marlboro is the only one to hit us so far...ripoffs deluxe.
The cigarette companies are required by law to have a minimum number per pack. I believe it was part of the Master Settlement Act.

They don't want people in the ghetto buying individual cigarettes, even though places do it anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
The owner of the cigarette store told me he was raising prices before April 1st and that is what distributors do. I asked how much he was raising them and he said he didn't know yet but would be doing it tomorrow. That doesn't make sense, he's going to raise them, but doesn't know how much. Is it legal for them to raise prices before April 1st?? I'm thinking of checking on this with the State.
Altria raised cigarettes prices before the upcoming tax hike which goes into affect April 1st, they lowered the prices on smokeless tobacco. I believe R.J Reynolds and Lorillard will follow suit.

Old 03-14-2009, 02:49 PM

Hate to see Marlboro sticking it to us like that, the medium 100's are so tasty and not too strong or light, my favorite. Will definately have to work in a carton of Pall Mall's every other purchase to combat "inflation"

Old 03-15-2009, 08:38 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,082,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mofford View Post
Hate to see Marlboro sticking it to us like that, the medium 100's are so tasty and not too strong or light, my favorite. Will definately have to work in a carton of Pall Mall's every other purchase to combat "inflation"
Yeah....I've smoked Marlboro menthols for many years now.....I switched to ZigZag menthol for awhile and just hand rolled my own figuring that doing that would slow me down on just grabbing one out of a pack and lighting it....I NEVER pre-rolled one,so it DID slow me down a lot because my one handed rolling is rusty since HS and so I wouldn't get to smoke while driving....eventually I stopped them because it was tearing my lungs up with no filter

Old 03-15-2009, 08:41 AM

488 posts, read 1,176,875 times
This is another example of social engineering at it's finest. It is all about money, power, and control of peoples' lives. On one hand, we are told the tax hike is to entice smokers to quit smoking. Then, on the other hand, we are told the tax hike is to fund the S-CHIP program. OK, which is it?

Well, I guess the government control over me and my wife is now being realized. We have decided to quit smoking.

So, that yearly $285 the feds have been getting from us, plus that additional $450 they are expecting to get from us, they are just not going to get. Additionally, that $450 our state has been getting from us just won't be there any longer either.

I suspect there will be a whole lot of other folks who will quit smoking or cut way back too. If that happens this excessive tax hike may just backfire on the "TAX AND SPEND" crowd.

Then you can bet the politicians will be proposing something else to tax the hell out of.

Old 03-15-2009, 08:43 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,082,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
I wish that I could avoid smokers altogether but it's impossible when you use public transportation since many folks smoke while waiting for the bus. When smokers around me decide to become considerate then I'll drop my anti-smoking stance but I surely won't hold my breath for that to occur.
Ms.Connie...a LOT of smokers are like me...they are embarassed that they smoke and will NOT smoke around non smokers.....I got addicted to smoking while in HS...I had NO CLUE that they would be this hard to kick because the schools never really said much about it back then and if you walked by the teachers lounge,it was just a haze of cig smoke....I do not smoke around non smokers,I do not smoke in a non smokers house or vehicle even if they say it doesn't bother them.....a lot of us ARE considerate to non smokers.

Old 03-15-2009, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
Yeah....I've smoked Marlboro menthols for many years now.....I switched to ZigZag menthol for awhile and just hand rolled my own figuring that doing that would slow me down on just grabbing one out of a pack and lighting it....I NEVER pre-rolled one,so it DID slow me down a lot because my one handed rolling is rusty since HS and so I wouldn't get to smoke while driving....eventually I stopped them because it was tearing my lungs up with no filter
Noticed in many tobacco stores they sell empty cigarette "shells" by the carton, has the paper attached to the filter in the length you prefer. They have different types of loading machines you can buy to stuff the tobacco inside. Im told it takes a little practice so you don't tear the paper while you load them, and also it doesn't pack them real tight, but they work.

Used to smoke menthols for about a year way back in the 80's, there used to be alot of hype about the menthol crystals being much worse for you than the regular smokes. After you get used to a menthol, the regular ones will taste awful but I managed to switch back. Within a week you get used to the regular ones again.

Never understood what goes into a "fire safe" cigarette, and why they taste funny. As I understood it, they add chemicals to make a cigarette continue to burn in the first place. Why don't they just take out those chemicals to make them fire safe ?

Old 03-15-2009, 11:31 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,865,844 times
Quote:
Noticed in many tobacco stores they sell empty cigarette "shells" by the carton, has the paper attached to the filter in the length you prefer. They have different types of loading machines you can buy to stuff the tobacco inside. Im told it takes a little practice so you don't tear the paper while you load them, and also it doesn't pack them real tight, but they work.
It's so easy a 5 year old could do it(no, i'm not endorsing having them do it,lol.). Even if you're terrible at manual labor, you'll be able to make a pack in less than 10 minutes.

Quote:
Never understood what goes into a "fire safe" cigarette, and why they taste funny. As I understood it, they add chemicals to make a cigarette continue to burn in the first place. Why don't they just take out those chemicals to make them fire safe ?
The answer to your questions can be found here: RYO Cigarettes | Roll Your Own Cigarette Tobacco | RYO Revolution
The forum board is an especially good reference for any questions that you might have. Give it a look when you have some time!

Old 03-15-2009, 12:54 PM

Good info there at the RYO link Stratford posted, would give you another rep if I could. But with the SCHIP thing getting passed, sounds like they shot down RYO with such a massive increase in loose tobacco taxes. Won't be worth the bother.

I'm going to cut down even more on my smoking, and eventually quit. Took the first step when I turned 40 to knock down 2 packs a day to 15 a day. Working twards being a non smoker by age 45, but hate to give them up as smoking is one of those little pleasures in life that I really enjoy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies