Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 05:15 AM

37,157 posts, read 19,273,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
Do you know what would really lead to a decrease?

A BAN on tobacco. But, that won't happen because your government needs the $$$$$$. We all know that smokers tend to be less educated and lower income, so they're easy prey for the politicians looking for easy money. Personally, i feel that many non-smokers are misdirecting their anger over this issue. Rather than castigate the smoker, perhaps they should ask their elected representatives why this product is still being offered for sale?
Yep. Good idea.

Worked well with marijuana, I hear.

And marijuana isn't even addictive like cigarettes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2009, 06:25 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,246,409 times
What's the objective here?
To 'force' smokers to quit or to raise money on new taxes?
Not going to raise any money if everybody quits.

Old 03-13-2009, 07:11 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,684,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
What's the objective here?
To 'force' smokers to quit or to raise money on new taxes?
Not going to raise any money if everybody quits.
Everyone quits, or less people start = less cost to healthcare = no need for the tax

Old 03-13-2009, 07:19 AM

12,969 posts, read 13,707,820 times
maybe cigarette smokers will have to resort to pot smokers tactics and grow their own, It would be fresher, natural, have less additives, and probally be less addicting

Old 03-13-2009, 07:35 AM

10,503 posts, read 15,584,141 times
Quote:
O.K. folks, you can stop bolding my statement. I smoke too. It still doesn't change the fact that smokers are predominantly as i described.
So you're putting yourself in the same dumb category that you just called all of us smokers? Now, how stupid is that? You make an insulting statement like that, expect to get responses to it.

Old 03-13-2009, 07:38 AM

10,503 posts, read 15,584,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
I personally do not care what bad habits folks have unless their habits affect my health and comfort. I cannot breathe in the cigarette smoke without my allergies acting up. Maybe if you guys were more considerate of those around you, then there would not be this push against smoking.
Connie, this has been talked about before. Why the hell do you keep putting yourself in environments where there are smokers? Surely you're smarter than that. My mother is asthmatic & also has COPD or whatever it's called. She is HIGHLY allergic & sensitive to cigarette smoke, therefore she is never around it, ever. She knows I smoke yet she is not a judgemental ******* about it like you are being. If you're so fricking sensitive about the smoke, then seal yourself up in a vacuum.

Old 03-13-2009, 07:39 AM

27,219 posts, read 46,818,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
It was $30 a carton (ten packs),today it is $38.I hear people saying it is going to be over $60 a carton but that can't be right?$60 for carton sounds too high,I hear it was only suppose to be a 70 cent increases per pack starting April 1st but prices have already increased?
I couldn't care less if it would be even go up higher. The smeel is horrible and it is very unhealthy....yesterday we went to Taco bell and the employee told us to wait around the corner since the food wasn't ready and she would bring itto the car. We were in our car, windows closed but since we are in Florida with 85 F we had the airconditioning on. A big truck pulled up next to us and a man, woman and a child came out of the car. Both man and women were smoking in the car and when they got out of the car the still smoked until they threw their cigarettes on the ground next to the front door!
Only seconds later after they walked by our car the smell got in our car and it was horrible...I don't want to smoke and can't stand it and my son was keeping his fingers on his noise and covered his mouth!
What about the girl in the car with the parents who is getting all the second hand smoke?....basically making her sick!

Old 03-13-2009, 03:52 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,894,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Samadhi View Post
LOL, it sounds naughty, but...you definitely excited me with the whole "2 dollars" thing. You made me happy!

And then teatime made me sad...

I still won't stop myself from checking out that link, though.
~$2.00 a pack on 4/1. Right now, still easily available for ~$1.00 per. Even still, $2.00 is a hell of a lot cheaper than anything you're going to find from Phillip Morris or RJR.

Old 03-13-2009, 03:55 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,894,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
So you're putting yourself in the same dumb category that you just called all of us smokers? Now, how stupid is that? You make an insulting statement like that, expect to get responses to it.
and.........

It still doesn't change the fact that smokers are predominantly as i described.

Old 03-13-2009, 05:35 PM

620 posts, read 1,773,565 times
Quote:
~$2.00 a pack on 4/1. Right now, still easily available for ~$1.00 per. Even still, $2.00 is a hell of a lot cheaper than anything you're going to find from Phillip Morris or RJR.
That's true. Thanks, again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies