Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 10:04 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,641,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooksterL1 View Post
Whoa, pushed a button did I? You are basing your arguement on facts that live only in your righteous indignation. You weren't there. You didn't even research the incident. You just started spewing about who shoulda coulda woulda. I'm not trying to take away from this baby being murdered. But, it's my right to see the "big picture" as you call it. It's my responsibility as an American and a human being to speak up when I see something as wrong or unjust - just as it is your right to jump too all kinds of assumptions about a situation you know nothing about. However, we do know about what is happening globally and we make a conscious choice to turn a blind eye. To me, it's no different than those alleged bystanders. Where is the outrage for that is all I'm asking.
The outrage is there. However, we as individuals cannot stop the war in Iraq ---- although we can elect representatives and presidents who can. We as individuals cannot go to the Sudan and fling our bodies over women about to be raped ---- but we can support organizations and charities that help these women regain their lives afterwards.
And you what? A large portion of us do.

I do find it funny that I spew and jump to conclusions while you have a responsibility and speak up. I also can't help to wonder what button this topic hit with you.....here, I'll go first! The cowardice shown by the witnesses was appalling. Unless further reports come out that in addition to the elderly couple (who did what they could) the rest of the witnesses were either handicapped or children themselves or there was but one able bodied person in attendance --- there was no excuse. Now that bothers me because I would hope that if my child were in trouble someone would have the basic humanity to help them. I would help and have helped people following car accidents -- in one instance their personal effects including credit cards were strewn across the highway. I collected it for them as my dh and several other men lifted the car off a womant to get her to safety. Not the same as a murdered baby, but you get the picture.

Now the question is --- why does it strike a nerve with you when I and others call people cowards who would watch a baby get murdered? Why muddy the waters with geopolitcal crap that have no bearing on the subject at hand? Why do you identify yourself with the witnesses and not the victim?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2008, 10:18 AM

3,885 posts, read 8,123,898 times
I don't actually identify with anyone in this case. I definitely do not identify with the murderer. And I wasn't there to guage how the bystanders reacted and have no idea what took place other than what I read. Personally, I would have done whatever I could had I been there because I'm a react first think later type. I have two sons myself and would also hope that someone would help them if they ever needed it. However, to be so vehement about what the bystanders did or didn't do when you have no idea seems strange to me. As for the "geopolitical slant", I was simply musing about horrors in general when I seemed to hit a nerve with you. I didn't aim that at you specifically. But, now that you mentioned it, I do believe that those that stand by with silence because "I can't do anything about it" are just as cowardly as those that do nothing when faced with a horrific situation such as this.

Old 06-18-2008, 10:26 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,641,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MooksterL1 View Post
I don't actually identify with anyone in this case. I definitely do not identify with the murderer. And I wasn't there to guage how the bystanders reacted and have no idea what took place other than what I read. Personally, I would have done whatever I could had I been there because I'm a react first think later type. I have two sons myself and would also hope that someone would help them if they ever needed it. However, to be so vehement about what the bystanders did or didn't do when you have no idea seems strange to me. As for the "geopolitical slant", I was simply musing about horrors in general when I seemed to hit a nerve with you. I didn't aim that at you specifically. But, now that you mentioned it, I do believe that those that stand by with silence because "I can't do anything about it" are just as cowardly as those that do nothing when faced with a horrific situation such as this.
Then why defend the witnesses so vehemetly? Do you prescribe to moral relativism? I don't see them to be related at all.

Old 06-18-2008, 10:29 AM

3,885 posts, read 8,123,898 times
I'm not defending at all, just saying we do not know specifics. If you read back through the thread, you will see the topic got muddy around the first page.

Old 06-18-2008, 10:40 AM

8,943 posts, read 11,788,390 times
It's horrible what happened. I know I would have intervened, and so would many of the people I knew in CA. However, stopping a mad man is probably not an easy thing to do. Take a look at this clip Driver Gets Assaulted for not Backing Up - FileCabi.net How many of you can honestly say you can easily subdue someone like this?

The good news is with the right attitude and a few simple, everyday objects, you can get the job done. All of us carry in our pocket things like keys and pens. These items can be very effective and even lethal weapons in some situation. Caution is needed here. You don't want to use a pen or key as a weapon against the bad guy who has a baseball bat or a knife without having some serious skills. Mace is inexpensive, legal and has a more effective range than a baseball bat. Thus, it makes a wonderful non-lethal weapon. A pocket knife also has a very effective stopping power. Keep these things in mind and you might just prevent a similar tragedy from happening in the future and still come home to your family.

Old 06-18-2008, 10:49 AM

3,454 posts, read 7,411,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
How many of you can honestly say you can easily subdue someone like this?

...The good news is with the right attitude and a few simple, everyday objects, you can get the job done.
Yup, simple objects like a legally-carried handgun, Lord willing one day we'll have full reciprocity.

Old 06-18-2008, 10:56 AM

13,608 posts, read 21,399,012 times
MY GAWD.I have seen comments go back and forth accusing people of cowardice and comments of "I would have been a hero".

We weren't there,is it possible that people stood by that could have stopped him?yes.Is it possible that there was nothing a person could do except call for help?yes

Being it California has nothing to do with it.Some us ponder why some of the laws are written in Cali regarding politics but that doesn't mean all Californians are inhumane or cowards.It could have happened anywhere.

I just hope in never happens again.

Old 06-18-2008, 12:12 PM

3,150 posts, read 8,719,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
Mr. One Thousand is engaging in what is known as "trollery," the act of making false but deliberately provocative statements on the internet to rile people up.
No... far from it. I have never heard such passionately spoken truth on this forum until now. I vote to compile his responses into a sticky named "Californian disclaiming debunked". Thank you One Thousand for being honest and forthcoming.

Old 06-18-2008, 12:24 PM

3,454 posts, read 7,411,391 times
I've never found One Thousand to be a troll on any level; this is obviously something he feels strongly about and has his own reasons for feeling that way. A troll he is not.

Old 06-18-2008, 12:33 PM

3,074 posts, read 4,727,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkaren View Post
I've never found One Thousand to be a troll on any level; this is obviously something he feels strongly about and has his own reasons for feeling that way. A troll he is not.
The cop that shot that failed life form made the world a better place and ought to be given a medal, presented by One Thousand, himself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies