Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 05:31 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,967,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
California has lost more residents in the Iraq War (439) than any other state in the union, including two from Turlock. You consider that cowardice? Why?
I think CA has lost more residents than any other state just based on population. I'm sure the results would be different if it was based on % of the population.

Although I don't think the amount of soldiers from CA lost in the war has anything to do with this incident. Its apples and oranges. And the Iraq war is a farce anyways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2008, 05:55 AM

3,454 posts, read 7,409,608 times
Wait...I just reread the article. The guy wasn't even armed...

Old 06-17-2008, 07:39 AM

3,758 posts, read 8,440,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkaren View Post
Wait...I just reread the article. The guy wasn't even armed...
Yes, he was armed. He had two arms with which he chose to take an innocent child's life.

Old 06-17-2008, 08:19 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,168,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
Fear, anger and deparation over what could possibly be someone's excuse for beating a baby to death?
Maybe it was the fear, anger, and desparation over that magical thing called responsibility? No, I'm not rationalizing his actions, I'm just stating that in today's society, I see more people dealing with life through violence than other means. Remember that story about the teenager who shot a man because he wouldn't give up a measley cigarette?

I will make sure to give my daughter an extra hug tonight and hope that nobody ever attempts something like that. Those who harm children should be given twice the pain they gave the child.

I am sad for this poor child. I'm more sad that the guy did not suffer more.

Old 06-17-2008, 08:34 AM

3,352 posts, read 6,662,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Just so! The people who watched and apparently 'tried' to stop him ---- what absolute cowards and I hope the memory of that childs death weighs on each and everyone of them.
I guess the point of this thread is so that everyone can tell us how outraged they are. Then you can pat yourself on the back for Caring.

Yet this same kind of thing happens every day in communist China. Political prisoners are beaten, tortured, raped, and even killed, just because they don't hold the right religious and political views. But it's not happening to a baby, and it's not caught on camera anywhere. So before you get all sanctimonious about this incident, think about what you're giving your tacit approval to the next time you buy something made in China, or cheer on the Beijing Olympics.

Old 06-17-2008, 08:38 AM

3,454 posts, read 7,409,608 times
Right, and that's terrible. But this happened in the US and people who are on the scene can directly and immediately affect what happens (or doesn't happen) in front of them.

Old 06-17-2008, 08:59 AM

3,337 posts, read 5,119,159 times
While I agree that people should have been able to or attempted to stop this horrific incident, perhaps they were thinking of the civil rights violation lawsuit that would have been brought against them by the ACLU after they beat the guy senseless.

Old 06-17-2008, 09:01 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,147,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Thousand View Post
Keep making excuses for them. Let's see what you say if it's ever your child or loved one beat to death... with people watching feigning helplessness.

I hope you get everything you deserve... That is, dependence on people who are indifferent to your suffering. I hope you or someone close to you is a victim and you're left making these claims that you can't judge the people who didn't intervene and you can't judge the people who don't come forward as witnesses because, really, you can't expect them to risk retribution for being a witness.

I just don't understand you people. I was raised bad... I mean, like dirt with no values whatsoever. I was absolute scum for the better half of my life and I still never had beliefs like yours... "I can't judge another."

In our hearts, we still know right from wrong. There's something instinctual that drives us to protect those who can't protect themselves and there's something instinctual that drives us to reject those who fail to fulfill that expectation. I can't fathom what kind of inferior person fails to hold people to that standard.

It was a baby... and you're trying to make excuses for the cowardice that stood by and watched it being murdered? Lord, this is the consequence of a people with too much material wealth. You've forgotten what's important.

Is that a threat? Consider yourself reported.

Too bad stupidity can't be reported.

NO where did I excuse anyone. I suggested that FACTS of what happened be taken into consideration....something I guess you can't do.

Old 06-17-2008, 12:01 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,317,959 times
How we feel about the entire state of CA is not pertinent here. This could have happened ANYWHERE. I don't blame the people who didn't get involved. They will have to live with their decisions. I can honestly say, though, that if I had been there, I would have attacked him with every inch of my body. I'm a mother, and I could never stand to see a child hurt. I would hope some other mother out there would do the same for my kids (hopefully never).

Old 06-17-2008, 12:52 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,637,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoAdrian View Post
I guess the point of this thread is so that everyone can tell us how outraged they are. Then you can pat yourself on the back for Caring.

Yet this same kind of thing happens every day in communist China. Political prisoners are beaten, tortured, raped, and even killed, just because they don't hold the right religious and political views. But it's not happening to a baby, and it's not caught on camera anywhere. So before you get all sanctimonious about this incident, think about what you're giving your tacit approval to the next time you buy something made in China, or cheer on the Beijing Olympics.

Oh, I see.......that baby deserved a painful and frightening death while people watched because I bought a toaster from Walmart? Wtf?!

I am not patting myself on the back for my 'caring'. I am telling it like it is. Unless those people who watched a baby get stomped to death by an unarmed man with nary a knife or gun were old, infirmed or handicapped they are morally culpable in that babys death. I hope they never erase those screams from their memories.

Why didn't one of them get a tire iron from their car, a baseball bat, a rock anything! One jump on the guys back while the others grabbed the baby? Lots and lots of solutions were available to those 'witnesses' that went beyond 'feeling bad and impotent'.
Have we as a nation turned into a country of neutered males? Again I ask.....wtf?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies