Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 02:02 PM

3,885 posts, read 8,130,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
I wish the police had shot the guy in the leg, or slightly higher and closer to the middle. It's a shame they killed him, it would have been more fair to let the prison population take care of him. Had I been there, I would have hit him with my car. B@#stard.
From one story I read, the police helicopter landed in a nearby field because the location of the incident was quite remote and the patrol cars were still a distance away. The officer that shot him couldn't get to the road due to barbwire and electric fences so he took the only action available to him. From what I've also read, merely wounding him wouldn't have stopped him. I know a lot of the posters are mentioning the witnesses, but the first couple that stopped were elderly and probably not very effective at stopping a person obviously bent on destroying this poor little baby. This story actually made me teary (Even though we read about violence so often these days - so it's probably because I have a 2 year old son or just the horrendous nature of this killing. I don't know). But I can't imagine what would possess a person to do something like this to an innocent child.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2008, 06:07 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,679,149 times
a truly awful story.

we dont know the full details yet so dont make generalizations please. as a cali man i hurt for this child, i gasped aloud when i heard this on the news and went straight to hugging the kids.

what we do know is that a monster took an innocent life. i too wish that this lowlife could be around to suffer phycically and emotionally, but the officers did what they had to do.

may this young tender soul rest in paradise.

Old 06-16-2008, 09:58 PM

2,631 posts, read 5,462,713 times
it is stuff like this that feeds the compulsion for me to always have a knife or a gun on me. i don't even like to go to church without a knife. never know when you might need it... (i know. i'm a nut--but i'm also a nut that could have prevented this from happening, or at least maybe stopped him before the kid was too far gone).

Old 06-16-2008, 10:23 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,302,526 times
I do know the original people who reported this horrendous event were elderly.
Not the first time people have stood around and watched the brutality......wont be the last.
Cathrine Genovessee another victim of an inept society.

here are some excerpts. GO read the whole grisley story.
I was 12 at the time and was mortified that this could occur in my country and no one would help this poor soul....

Quote:
The crime was not as gruesome as some others, since many more were just as violent, and still more that easily surpassed it. The victim was an ordinary working girl, not at all wealthy and not a member of any elite class. Her name was Catherine Genovese,
Quote:
“Oh my God! He stabbed me!†she screamed. “Please help me! Please help me!†Some apartment lights went on in nearby buildings. Irene Frost at 82-68 Austin Street heard Catherine’s screams plainly. “There was another shriek,†she later testified in court
Quote:
As the details of the killing emerged, it became plain that if any one of the 38 witnesses had simply called the police at the first sign of trouble, the victim could have survived. The initial stab wounds inflicted may not have been fatal. Timely medical treatment could have saved the life of Catherine Genovese.
Quote:
One dynamic brought forth was the Bystander Effect. This theory speculates that as the “number of bystanders increases, the likelihood of any one bystander helping another decreases.â€
All about the Kitty Genovese murder, by Mark Gado

Oh god, some one should go "cry for the children", for we have failed them as a people.
Quote:
They died 30 years ago.

On a stromy night in June 1977, three little Girl Scouts — Doris Denise Milner, 10; Michelle Guse, 9; and Lori Farmer, 8 — were raped and killed at a Girl Scout Camp in Locust Grove

Old 06-16-2008, 11:10 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,417,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Widowmaker2k View Post
Wow, what a logical and well thought out argument! Clearly, stereotyping 37,000,000 people, more then 12% of the entire U.S. population, based on one incident, is level-headed intellectualism at its best.
I lived on the left coast for a time. I know the culture. I know this is just another example of it... our national disgrace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonredsock5 View Post
WTF, I hope you are not talking about the police here. THey seemed to have done everything in their power to help in a manner that didnt put anymore lives at risk.
The officer is the only decent part of the story. I was referring to the classic pseudo-helplessness that you find with those people... As if a threat to their safety gives permission to run from a threat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
A baby got killed and you use it to bash Californians? A pathetic soul you are.
A dozen pathetic excuses for humans stood by, with minimal effort to stop, a man beating a baby. A baby.

This is a pure West coast tale. People more concerned about themselves than risking themselves for the less fortunate... unless it's telling someone else to care.

It's the pure, unadulterated cowardice and self-centeredness that is California... and the rest of the West coast.

Old 06-16-2008, 11:17 PM

2,631 posts, read 5,462,713 times
my wife was telling me about the bystander effect when i told her about this article. wiki has a good article on it.

Bystander effect - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

even with the above info, i don't understand the justification in someone's mind, and it just makes me wonder how numb and apathetic we can make ourselves.

i have first-hand experience with some of those reasons that wiki states as incentives for people to do nothing when in groups--but in the context of a speaker asking a question, or a drill instructor demanding a volunteer.

when it comes to helping someone that i thought was in trouble, as far as i can remember, in every instance i have rushed to their aid, blundering and ignorant as i am. but i don't think i can sit back and do nothing.

i remember holding an old man's hand as he bled to death in nc; he was trapped in his overturned vehicle, skull open, gurgling on blood. we had tried to wrench the doors open, but they were jammed. in the end, all i could do was hold this guy's hand and talk to him, thinking the whole time how pointless it was since he was unconscious and mortally wounded.

then there was iraq...

sorry. stories like this really disturb me and bring back unpleasant memories. my wife didn't want to hear it, but i needed to vent. you guys are getting some of it too, i think.

ps- i try to give people the benefit of the doubt, including these bystanders. maybe it was outside of a retirement village with a bunch of walker-cruising seniors. i don't know. whatever it was, they know their own innocence or guilt.

aaron out.

Old 06-17-2008, 12:45 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,877,478 times
I think the story strikes most as wishing they could have been there to intervene. I have no judgements for those that were un able to stop him. What failed that one of us would beat a helpless child? why would anyone feel such a need? It is a sad story that resulted in the loss of 2 lives. We have been robbed of the gifts they had to give. May they both be healed and their spirits be free. May we find answers of how to save the next senseless death.

Old 06-17-2008, 12:55 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,183,184 times
My, my all the judgement by those who weren't there. The stories I've read don't give much detail except that the first people who stopped were elderly, the man wouldn't stop after a warning by police( he SOUNDED out of control, maybe on drugs?)...NONE of us can judge those people who were there (except for the murderer). We don't know the circumstances, we don't know what those people saw or what they tried to do. But it is sheer stupidity to blame an entire state for the actions of a few....this could've happened anywhere. Let's think of all the babies blown apart in Iraq....have you tried to help them?

Old 06-17-2008, 01:03 AM

2,057 posts, read 3,417,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
I think the story strikes most as wishing they could have been there to intervene. I have no judgements for those that were un able to stop him. What failed that one of us would beat a helpless child? why would anyone feel such a need? It is a sad story that resulted in the loss of 2 lives. We have been robbed of the gifts they had to give. May they both be healed and their spirits be free. May we find answers of how to save the next senseless death.
... and the light of heaven shine down on all humanity and evil no longer exist and we live forevermore in fantasyland. Utopia doesn't exist in the real world.

If you choose not to judge someone for their inaction at the opportune moment, then you're inviting a decline in civilization. You're saying that you're not in the position to judge... Therefore, those who are on the fringe of inaction choose inaction easier because there are no social consequences from you for their cowardice. However, you are in the position to judge... Better yet, you're obliged to judge as a member of society. Each of us are and need to be judge of the world around us in order for anything remotely similar to utopia to develop.

Our country is what each of us makes it. If you choose not to judge those who'd behave in a less than admirable way, then you're inviting less than admirable behavior. As the tendency to be less than admirable spreads through our society, we begin to see the real manifestation of karma: The energy we've used to permit dishonorable behavior turns on us in our hour of need when the people around us behave dishonorably toward us.

Hold people to a higher standard and they'll rise to it.

Old 06-17-2008, 02:56 AM

1,020 posts, read 2,757,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Thousand View Post
I lived on the left coast for a time. I know the culture. I know this is just another example of it... our national disgrace.
You really just don't get it. There is no singular culture, hell, large portions of the people out here don't even speak the same language. You could spend an entire lifetime on the West Coast and not fully understand the multitude of cultural differences that make up the population. Is everybody good? No. Are most people good? Absolutely.

Quote:
A dozen pathetic excuses for humans stood by, with minimal effort to stop, a man beating a baby. A baby.
You don't know any of this. You've interpreted a news article, and fabricated your own story to fit your personally stilted view of reality. The officer had to use deadly force to stop the perpetrator, and if it only required barely more than "minimal effort" to stop, why didn't he just tackle the man and put him in handcuffs? Although, that wouldn't fit you're "I hate the West Coast, and I'll lie as much possible until somebody believes me" attitude, would it?

Quote:
This is a pure West coast tale. People more concerned about themselves than risking themselves for the less fortunate... unless it's telling someone else to care.

It's the pure, unadulterated cowardice and self-centeredness that is California... and the rest of the West coast.
At this point, I think I've been had. I have a hard time believing that you could be so completely bigoted against 47,000,000 people (counting Oregon and Washington). If this is all just one big troll post, intended to rile up some West Coast folks, then you sir have very poor taste indeed.

Quote:
... and the light of heaven shine down on all humanity and evil no longer exist and we live forevermore in fantasyland. Utopia doesn't exist in the real world.
What? I think that AONE is saying that it's a tragedy that two lives were lost, because the totality of their existences (their past and their now unrealized futures) encompassed far more then the incident in question.

Quote:
If you choose not to judge someone for their inaction at the opportune moment, then you're inviting a decline in civilization. You're saying that you're not in the position to judge... Therefore, those who are on the fringe of inaction choose inaction easier because there are no social consequences from you for their cowardice. However, you are in the position to judge... Better yet, you're obliged to judge as a member of society. Each of us are and need to be judge of the world around us in order for anything remotely similar to utopia to develop.
Let he who is without sin, cast the first stone. Utopia won't develop out of judgment, because fear of judgment is only strong enough to make people work hard enough not to be judged.

Quote:
Our country is what each of us makes it. If you choose not to judge those who'd behave in a less than admirable way, then you're inviting less than admirable behavior. As the tendency to be less than admirable spreads through our society, we begin to see the real manifestation of karma: The energy we've used to permit dishonorable behavior turns on us in our hour of need when the people around us behave dishonorably toward us.

Hold people to a higher standard and they'll rise to it.
It's not your place to set standards for others. It's collectivist 'greater good' ideologies like these that have corrupted the spirit of individualism and brought about many of the failures of our modern society. We, as individuals, need to accept personal responsibility, not for fear of judgment, but for fear of losing ourselves in a sea of ambiguous political correctness and social acceptance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies