Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 05:11 PM

3,454 posts, read 7,417,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
One of the stories I have heard is that the baby was so maimed by the time someone drove by, that they thought he was beating a dead animal.
Sweet Jesus.

Quote:
All I gotta say is that with all of this slinging insults of cowardliness around, next time one of you "Eagle Eye Tough Guys" sees something odd you better MAN THE F UP or ****, that means road rage too, you never know a child might be in the car and you better police the situation *looking at you One Thousand* I better see you out stopping crime like BatMan.
Damn skippy, let it be a lesson to all of us when we see something questionable. God forbid we should live with the thought we could have done something...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2008, 05:19 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,519,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkaren View Post
Sweet Jesus.

Damn skippy, let it be a lesson to all of us when we see something questionable. God forbid we should live with the thought we could have done something...
If it would have happened in any other state, that would be the moral of this story. Unfortunately, we have some bitter folks who always jump at the bit to slam Californians like we are El Diablo.

Old 06-17-2008, 05:26 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,653,432 times
Quote:
So are you on board with the every Californian is a coward non-sense?

Can you tell us that 100% certainty that someone would have stepped up in your state?

I can tell you that if I would have been there and noticed it was a baby, either me or that punk would be dead. So mark that down 1 Californian would have killed the guy.
What?! I said nothing about Californians. My dad is a native Californian and I have many memories of visiting my grandparents (also natives) out in Barstow. I have no beef with Californians (hey, good for you guys on passing gay marriage though!) but with those people who did jack and watch a baby get beaten.
Could that have happened anywhere? Mmmmm, I don't know. I think that in places that aren't heavily populated and people still view themselves as part of a larger community maybe the chances of nobody helping would go down. Maybe not though...cowards come in all states sadly.

Old 06-17-2008, 05:32 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,519,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
What?! I said nothing about Californians. My dad is a native Californian and I have many memories of visiting my grandparents (also natives) out in Barstow. I have no beef with Californians (hey, good for you guys on passing gay marriage though!) but with those people who did jack and watch a baby get beaten.
Could that have happened anywhere? Mmmmm, I don't know. I think that in places that aren't heavily populated and people still view themselves as part of a larger community maybe the chances of nobody helping would go down. Maybe not though...cowards come in all states sadly.
Well you missed the whole Cali bashing thing going on then.

The story said the first people to notice were elderly, they called police (what else were they going to do?).
The next person stopped and tried to stop the guy but couldn't.
Others report they thought it was a dead animal.
I am sure there were some "busy" and "cowards" there too.

Fact is NONE of you were there and know what really happened in this very unfortunate situation, you definitely can't call anyone a coward, especially not an entire state like "One Thousand" did.

The lesson should be to stop and investigate if it seems odd, I'll do my part, regardless of the state I reside.

Old 06-17-2008, 05:51 PM

30,409 posts, read 52,020,888 times
I can't speak for all Californians, but I don't believe in ignoring violent acts... I reported my old neighbor for beating his girlfriend (I heard it through the walls every day), but unfortunately she was too scared to file charges when the cops showed up. And if I had seen that COWARD beating the baby, I'd have done anything possible to stop it - and hopefully most other Californians would too. Awful situation, and I just hope the baby rests in peace while the jerk does not.

Old 06-17-2008, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Well you missed the whole Cali bashing thing going on then.

The story said the first people to notice were elderly, they called police (what else were they going to do?).
The next person stopped and tried to stop the guy but couldn't.
Others report they thought it was a dead animal.
I am sure there were some "busy" and "cowards" there too.

Fact is NONE of you were there and know what really happened in this very unfortunate situation, you definitely can't call anyone a coward, especially not an entire state like "One Thousand" did.

The lesson should be to stop and investigate if it seems odd, I'll do my part, regardless of the state I reside.

Californians cowards? Hey my grandparents lived in Barstow --- if you have ever been there, enough said
I could only comment on what information I have. Yes, the elderly people did the right thing, they called 911. I hope they don't second guess themselves, I know I would never do that to them.
I would like to know more information --- how many bystanders were there? When did it become apparent that it was not a dead animal but a baby (and that had to have happened pretty quickly, or else why call the police?) What did the one bystander do to try to stop the guy and why did noone else get involved?
As I have mentioned in the meth thread, one of my brothers is serving time in prison for meth and I can tell you without a doubt, as mean and as scary as he looks he would have stepped in. He has in the past, and no doubt will continue to do so. Well, once he gets out
Regardless, something just doesn't add up. I don't think we will ever know, and I hope to god that the next time this happens -- and sadly there will be a next time -- people may be more ready to act.

Old 06-17-2008, 07:39 PM

1,020 posts, read 2,757,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Thousand View Post
This is an obvious miscommunication. I believe that life is too short for me to not make generalizations. Generalizations are rational. Generalization save that limited resource we're all desperate for: time.
Obviously, generalizations are what make human thought processes possible. Without generalizations, we couldn't tell the difference between a chair and a pile of wood, but since we have an idea of what a chair is supposed to look like, we can recognize it as such. What you're doing, however, is entirely different. You're generalizing an entire (large) group of people without exception, based on a very small (relative to population size) amount of unverifiable data. You're using what is called 'inductive reasoning' (specifically weak induction), or looking at things from the bottom up. That's like saying that, since some Christians have committed atrocities in the past, that all of us (Christians) have committed atrocities, which is clearly untrue. The trick to ensuring healthy generalizations is to balance them appropriately against what logic tells us should be true.

Quote:
Are most people on the left coast cowards? In my experience, yes. This story reinforces that belief.

Are there decent people on the left coast? I don't know... However, not in my experience. They're all scum who put political expedience before morality.
Where exactly did you live on the West Coast? A homeless camp for runaway circus folk? If I wanted to, I could dig up a hundred instances of courage in California and a hundred instances of cowardice in other parts of the world. But that wouldn't solve anything. You're so blinded by an all-consuming irrational hatred for a 47,000,000 people that you're quick to slap labels, once again without exception, on the entire group of them. Not only does this not make logical sense, I'll bet you dollars to donuts that it doesn't play out on an anecdotal level either.

Quote:
Am I open-minded? Yes... However, I wouldn't mind the loss of those potential few if it meant the whole coast sliding into the ocean with all it's inhabitants.
No, don't kid yourself, you're not open-minded.

Quote:
I know that when I was about 12 years old, I stepped between a 6'+ man who was well over 250lbs to take a beating that a three year old boy was about to take. If, at 12 years old, I was brave enough... I don't think it's too much to expect adults to do the same.
As I said before, you don't know all the facts of the case. You're transposing events that took place in your lifetime onto completely different circumstances. You're falling victim to unproductive generalizations and weak inductive reasoning. Just because it was possible to prevent the assault in your case doesn't necessarily make it true in every case. This kind of thinking is incorrect at best, and dangerous at worst. Again, if it was so easy to stop the man in question from attacking the baby, why didn't the police officer simply detain and arrest him? Why did he feel it necessary to use lethal force, when he has so many other options available to him (pepper spray, taser, night-stick, etc.)?

Quote:
Cowardfornia.
How clever.

Quote:
If you think for a second that the left coast isn't practically a different planet from most of the country, then you are sorely under experienced.
What makes you think that I draw the same conclusions from experiences as you draw from yours? California is a microcosm for the rest of the United States. The 'ship in the bottle' so to speak. We have big city folk, urban folk, country folk, cowboys, gangsters, ministers, liberals, republicans, independents, Nazis, Communists, Clan members, Black Panthers, farm workers, good people, bad people, cowards, the courageous, soldiers, terrorists, political activists, the a-political, etc. You can't claim to know everyone, and to say that we all share a common thread of cowardice is demonstratively untrue, which is why I think you're just posting this to get a rise out of us.

Quote:
Such a convenient argument against Christians, isn't it? The problem is that it needs context to be meaningful... otherwise, it's only adequate to deter uninformed fools. If you're going to quote the Bible, you should at least read it and understand what you're quoting.
Argument against Christians? That was an argument for Christians, myself included. My point is that humility is a core virtue of Christianity, and when you pass judgment on somebody based upon your own set of values and moral codes, you are elevating yourself above them, a concept that is mutually exclusive with a state of humility. Now, make no mistake about it, if the bystanders didn't do everything in their power to stop the murder from taking place, then they were clearly in the wrong. But my point is, since no person fully understands the specifics of the situation, it is up to God to pass judgment. For the sake and integrity of Christianity, don't masquerade as a Christian so that you can justify and carry out your own judgmental tendencies with impunity. It's not the Christian thing to do, and it's morally wrong.

Quote:
Cite sources please.
Sources? It's original thinking...you should try it sometime.
Quote:
Where'd you get that one? Source please.
You see, as a human, we all have a set of basic rights. One of these rights is to set our moral codes and standards so long as they don't interfere or deny the basic rights of others. You may think it a sin to work on the Sabbath, and so you shouldn't, but that doesn't preclude other people from working on the Sabbath so long as it agrees with their own set of personal/moral standards. To thine own self be true.

Quote:
Civilization is an agreement between two people... over and over. Civilization is an agreement that you and I will behave according to a set of expectations. If you want society to be better, then you behave better and you hold others to an expectation that they be better.

When you tolerate a failure to meet your expectations, then civilization slides back... The person who fails you fails the next person. The next person begins to slide... and on and on.

If you care for future generations-- your children-- then you choose to uphold higher values. If you don't care about the least suffering of future generations, then you, as you're doing, turn your back on values.

People are malleable. If one thing is in style-- if it's respected by others-- they will aspire to it. If it's out of style-- if it's rejected by others-- they too will reject it. That's just part of our instinctual herd mentality. You're encouraging a decline... In a sense, you're encouraging that people stand by while babies are murdered...
It's not the definition of civilization that we disagree on, it's the list of expectations and standards. I base my list on the rule of law, you seem to think that people should live by a moral code that you outline for them. I think that people have a right to exist how they want so long as they don't intrude upon the rights of others. This is individualism and a doctrine of personal responsibility. By denying people the responsibility of making their own decisions, you are robbing them of the ability to think for themselves. I see the pervasion of the herd mentality as a symptom of a problem that arises when we force our own belief structures on other people. At some point, we have to 'man up' and learn to think for ourselves. Clearly, we should always encourage people to help out their fellow man, because this is a tenant of nearly every belief structure, both atheist and religious alike, but when you start talking about setting expectations and passing judgment on others, you are toeing a fine line between freedom and oppression, a line too thin for any man.

Old 06-17-2008, 08:03 PM

3,885 posts, read 8,129,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
I could only comment on what information I have. Yes, the elderly people did the right thing, they called 911. I hope they don't second guess themselves, I know I would never do that to them.
I would like to know more information --- how many bystanders were there? When did it become apparent that it was not a dead animal but a baby (and that had to have happened pretty quickly, or else why call the police?) What did the one bystander do to try to stop the guy and why did noone else get involved?
Regardless, something just doesn't add up. I don't think we will ever know, and I hope to god that the next time this happens -- and sadly there will be a next time -- people may be more ready to act.
From what I've read, several tried to stop him - some by jumping on his back, but he threw them off. I think it's unfair to say that everyone stood around doing nothing, when you don't have all the information. My outrage is aimed at the animal that beat this child. IMO you forfeit your right to be called a human being when you do something this vile.

Old 06-17-2008, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooksterL1 View Post
From what I've read, several tried to stop him - some by jumping on his back, but he threw them off. I think it's unfair to say that everyone stood around doing nothing, when you don't have all the information. My outrage is aimed at the animal that beat this child. IMO you forfeit your right to be called a human being when you do something this vile.
Believe me, I am sincere when I say that I hope that I am totally wrong, that the report I read was missing vital information (not for the first time, sadly) and that there is hope for humankind.
It's times like these that I wish fervently for an afterlife just to know that the sob will suffer greatly for eternity.

Old 06-17-2008, 09:13 PM

3,454 posts, read 7,417,837 times
Think peaceful thoughts for that little one...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies