Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support giving Ukraine F-16s
Yes 200 39.76%
No 254 50.50%
Unsure 49 9.74%
Voters: 503. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2022, 08:12 AM

25,715 posts, read 17,486,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancers View Post
I think the US would be better served to rebuild itself first. Unless you think there is just an unlimited amount of resources. Just print huh?
No one of stature agrees with you.
The US is the largest economy in the world. The EU combined with US makes up nearly 40 of the entire economy of the world. Ukraine will be able to rebuild after hostilities cease.
We should learn from the history that worked. The build up after WW2 was done in exactly that manner.
Haiti was "sent funds" to rebuild. That doesn't work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2022, 08:31 AM

5,257 posts, read 3,842,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
No one of stature agrees with you.
The US is the largest economy in the world. The EU combined with US makes up nearly 40 of the entire economy of the world. Ukraine will be able to rebuild after hostilities cease.
We should learn from the history that worked. The build up after WW2 was done in exactly that manner.
Haiti was "sent funds" to rebuild. That doesn't work.

I have no idea who you listen to but I am sure they are quite clueless. You seem to be a victim of the propaganda machine. You actually think things are good? You have got to be kidding me.
Ukraine loses vast amounts of territory and is getting their capital city bombed but they are winning this war. Jeez Louise.

Old 10-22-2022, 08:56 AM
bu2

24,169 posts, read 15,024,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
Presidium of the supreme Soviet did not have the authority to approve the transfer. Any questions?

Kosovo/ Serbia are very relevant since borders were redrawn post WW2.

In regards to your other questions, I'm not sure why you are asking me. I already expressed my opinion in my previous post.
In other words, you are against international law and allowing Russia and the powerful to do anything they want. You just want to change the topic from the criminal acts of Putin.

Old 10-22-2022, 09:05 AM

8,193 posts, read 3,747,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
In other words, you are against international law and allowing Russia and the powerful to do anything they want. You just want to change the topic from the criminal acts of Putin.
No, I'm not. In fact exactly the opposite.

Old 10-22-2022, 09:16 AM

Quote:
I have no idea who you listen to but I am sure they are quite clueless. You seem to be a victim of the propaganda machine. You actually think things are good? You have got to be kidding me.
Ukraine loses vast amounts of territory and is getting their capital city bombed but they are winning this war. Jeez Louise.
Things are actually terrible here in America
But America needs a change of leadership, not a "rebuild". We Americans still buy lots and lots of imported stuff.
Russia will lose the war in due time as they are economically destroyed. Just because they have bombed Kiev doesn't mean the war is over.
Your hysteria is unjustified.

Old 10-22-2022, 09:22 AM

5,257 posts, read 3,842,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Things are actually terrible here in America
But America needs a change of leadership, not a "rebuild". We Americans still buy lots and lots of imported stuff.
Russia will lose the war in due time as they are economically destroyed. Just because they have bombed Kiev doesn't mean the war is over.
Your hysteria is unjustified.

Roads and bridges are falling apart. Money is sent into the ether via Ukraine why people are homeless and hungry here. Last I looked money for the laundry wasn't in foreign aid. A change in leadership will not help so long as the leaders are in the pocket of Big Pharma and the MIC. Not hysterical at all. I see things as they are not as I would like them to be.

As far as this war in Eastern Europe goes the gloves have come off now so you should expect a different flavor to the Russian attack. This needs to end no one benefits. Well except for maybe Zelensky and his corrupt band.

Old 10-22-2022, 09:26 AM

Europe uses 300 billion cubic feet (BCF) of natural gas per year.
The various countries have now filled their storage tanks. It's not enough, of course, so steps have been taken to (A) fill in the gap using the pipeline to Morocco, (B) reduce usage and (C) arrange for a steady supply from LNG providers such as US, Qatar, and Australia.

The winter of 22-23 promises to be a little rough in Europe, but they are building out their LNG receiving facilities and ramping up their own meager supplies of gas in order to make ready for the full shut off of Russian gas that is yet to come. By the winter of 23-24 they should be completely ready with gas supplies all taken care of.
If the Ukraine war goes well, Ukraine will be able to provide additional natural gas but that is yet to be seen.

Regardless, the problem will be solved for Europe by 23-24. They will have enough storage and enough steady supply to serve their needs.
And then the problem transfers to...... Russia. Russia has invested billions of dollars in pipes and infrastructure that will never be used again.

Old 10-22-2022, 11:54 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,540,113 times
Quote:
And your propaganda machine tells you that the great mighty Russian army is winning this war - here's a video showing the kit new conscripts are receiving to prepare for war in Ukraine - children's gloves, rubber boots, and paintball masks. Watch to the end - the Soviet-style stormtrooper outfit is modeled in full Russian glory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CX-2JgEsSA8

Old 10-22-2022, 11:55 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,249,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timaea View Post
I don’t think either Mount Toba or a hypothetical global nuclear war are scenarios which select for high IQ. They select for the greatest physical fitness, first, and a finely tuned cunning instinct, second. People confuse cunning with IQ, but they’re not the same.

What we’d have is generations of brutal sociopaths running a grim and depleted world.
1) Most of the people who would survive are the people who are already prepared. The average IQ of a person with a doomsday bunker is probably 115. Preppers are also above-average.

2) In the absence of government, the trait with the highest selection pressure is actually cooperation. Survival would depend on families/friends working together and protecting each other. "Individualists" would all die. So would traitors, criminals, degenerates, etc.

3) Selection pressure depends on how many people are left. If the overall number of deaths is small(eg 10%), not much would change. A zombie apocalypse level event would require a ~99% reduction.

4) Raw physical fitness hasn't been as important as social traits and intelligence for hundreds of thousands of years of human evolution. But certainly, people with no fitness whatsoever(the elderly, extremely obese, people with debilitating/chronic conditions) wouldn't make it without a group to support them.

5) I didn't mean to overemphasize IQ. I agree that raw IQ has a weak correlation to survival, but there is still a correlation because "cunning" requires intelligence.

In any case, nuclear war would bring the average IQ up at least 10 points. It would also vastly increase fitness. As I said, it would be the greatest evolutionary event in human history.

Old 10-22-2022, 12:04 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,114,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
1) Most of the people who would survive are the people who are already prepared. The average IQ of a person with a doomsday bunker is probably 115. Preppers are also above-average.
I suppose you can provide research that supports this assertion? I doubt it, but I will wait.

Quote:
2) In the absence of government, the trait with the highest selection pressure is actually cooperation. Survival would depend on families/friends working together and protecting each other. "Individualists" would all die. So would traitors, criminals, degenerates, etc.
There does seem to be societal benefits to cooperation. I doubt you can make a good case that "traitors, criminals, degenerates", are doomed to a quick death though. Depends on how you define each of those terms though.

Quote:
In any case, nuclear war would bring the average IQ up at least 10 points. It would also vastly increase fitness. As I said, it would be the greatest evolutionary event in human history.
As we have never had a worldwide nuclear war, you have no basis for these claims. There is simply zero evidence to back it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies