Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support giving Ukraine F-16s
Yes 201 39.64%
No 257 50.69%
Unsure 49 9.66%
Voters: 507. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2024, 03:24 PM

19,256 posts, read 27,919,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
Right or wrong, I'm curious why you are so gleeful about an authoritarian dictator getting away with invading a sovereign nation, destroying its cities and killing thousands of civilians, not to mention getting thousands of his own soldiers killed in the process. Are you some kind of sadist?
Now, replace "authoritarian dictator" with "democratic state" and then go read history of wars, US was involved in. Including bombings and destruction of Yugoslavia, which is considered war crime.
Oh, sorry, "this is different", right? WE can do whatever we want to. THEY are Orks from Mordor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2024, 03:24 PM

4,998 posts, read 2,770,972 times
another $350 mil A50 shot down over Russia today..

Old 02-23-2024, 03:32 PM

19,256 posts, read 27,919,063 times
Explain to me this:

Belarus Issues Ominous Warning To NATO

Russia's closest ally, Belarus, has said that its military would shoot down any aircraft that came into its airspace in what appears to be Minsk's latest threat to NATO.

That's captions to a video on Microsoft edge.
So, here's my question. By ANY international laws, if a foreign aircraft, uninvited, is entering a sovereign country airspace, as defined by its established legal borders, this country has all rights to consider this a direct violation and shoot that aircraft.

Question: How is such warning a "threat to NATO"? Where is it written that NATO aircrafts have some sort of immunity to fly anywhere they please and do whatever they want?

Old 02-23-2024, 04:08 PM

15,682 posts, read 9,345,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Explain to me this:

Belarus Issues Ominous Warning To NATO

Russia's closest ally, Belarus, has said that its military would shoot down any aircraft that came into its airspace in what appears to be Minsk's latest threat to NATO.

That's captions to a video on Microsoft edge.
So, here's my question. By ANY international laws, if a foreign aircraft, uninvited, is entering a sovereign country airspace, as defined by its established legal borders, this country has all rights to consider this a direct violation and shoot that aircraft.

Question: How is such warning a "threat to NATO"? Where is it written that NATO aircrafts have some sort of immunity to fly anywhere they please and do whatever they want?
It's an empty threat, Belarus was declared a no-fly zone for Western aircraft even before the war started.

Old 02-23-2024, 04:15 PM

5,125 posts, read 2,802,569 times
Quote:
Right or wrong, I'm curious why you are so gleeful about an authoritarian dictator getting away with invading a sovereign nation, destroying its cities and killing thousands of civilians, not to mention getting thousands of his own soldiers killed in the process. Are you some kind of sadist?
Gleeful? You're putting words into my mouth. Nowhere in my post am I gleeful or mirthful. I reference the cartoon but am not laughing about it. It is just something that came to mind as I thought about this situation.

A sadist? You are really desperate now to throw this kind of accusation at me. Really?? You've got to do better than that.

Old 02-23-2024, 04:20 PM

1,401 posts, read 497,711 times
Quote:

This exact question should have been asked back in 2014 when American foreign intelligence and Victoria Nuland decided they could change the government of Ukraine to be more amenable to their broader geopolitical interests. What? There's a loophole in place for Western backed colour revolutions to occur? The cult of personality surrounding Stepan Bandera and his veneration throughout much of Ukraine doesn't foster much confidence in the notion of it being a non-extremist democratic nation. Well, that and the abstention from elections, banning of the Russian Orthodox Church and other things.

Old 02-23-2024, 04:30 PM

3,558 posts, read 1,561,051 times
Quote:
Are you going to get angry at the media that lied to you for the last 2 years, claiming Ukraine was winning?

Old 02-23-2024, 04:32 PM

5,125 posts, read 2,802,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAN_Man View Post
Ukraine is likely running out of men to fight the war at this point. That's why they're now accepting foreigners to do the fighting for them.
Yes, Ukraine needs all the help that they can get from anyone. In the meantime, the Russians have still not committed all of their forces to the Ukraine conflict. But it looks like they are starting some kind of offensives after taking Avdeevka. They are advancing on several axis now. We will have to pay attention to this and see what develops.

Old 02-23-2024, 05:18 PM

25,799 posts, read 17,567,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ticking View Post
The Reuters article referenced several posts above shows that India bought 37 Billion in oil alone from Russia so your stat of 25 billion total imports appears to be inaccurate.......
25 billion in imports last year - that was 2022.
It increased in 2023. The question is, did Russia make any money by selling oil at a discount?... And did they make enough to pay for the war?

In Feb, '22 Urals oil was priced the same as all other oil - right at $100.
We could talk all day about how much Russia is actually getting for oil these days, but it's not $100. And it still costs them $44. In theory, Brent crude is $81, Urals oil is $71.
The very idea that Russia has been enriched by the Ukrainian invasion is laughable.

Old 02-23-2024, 05:34 PM

2,156 posts, read 1,465,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
25 billion in imports last year - that was 2022.
It increased in 2023.
Ok so it is established your original number is low and off by a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
We could talk all day about how much Russia is actually getting for oil these days, but it's not $100. And it still costs them $44.
Seems your $44 number is also off. The sources I'm looking at state the extraction costs for older deposits are between $9-$20 a barrel. The very highest costs are offshore oil which is around $44. Some of those costs would be for Russian wages, so that cost isn't painful for Russia. Russia can sell at a discount (Which isn't abnormal to begin with) and still be quite profitable. Recent Western articles discuss how Russia's coffers are full, so it is quite possible that Russia is cash flush despite the war.

Quote:
Additionally, oil companies need to pay for, e.g. transporting the oil to oil trunk lines or oil terminals, administrative costs, financial operators (paying for trading offices, etc.). According to minister Sorokin OPEX costs for the majority of oil fields are between USD 3-8 per barrel. CAPEX is between USD 4-9 per barrel. Therefore, the average OPEX plus CAPEX of Russian oil companies is between USD 9 and 20 per barrel.
https://biznesalert.com/russia-oil-e...0per%20barrel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies