Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support giving Ukraine F-16s
Yes 201 39.72%
No 256 50.59%
Unsure 49 9.68%
Voters: 506. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2023, 08:12 PM

760 posts, read 517,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
And NATO could easily tell them no. "With the fall of the Soviet Union, we don't see any danger coming to you from Russia. We are the organization created by the Western countries, during the cold war times. Admitting you into this organization means that we won't follow the promises that we gave to Russia in terms of her security, and thus will lead to the new escalation of hostilities."
It was that simple.
And why should independent nations who seek NATO membership, go thru the vetting, and fulfill all the obligations for membership admittance, then be denied membership?

Also, this:

Acting Russian President Vladimir Putin, in an unexpected gesture to the West, suggested in a television interview today that Russia would consider joining NATO if the Western alliance agreed to treat Russia as an equal partner.

"Why not? Why not?" Putin said when asked by BBC interviewer David Frost about Russian membership. "I do not rule out such a possibility . . . in the case that Russia's interests will be reckoned with, if it will be an equal partner....Russia is a part of European culture, and I do not consider my own country in isolation from Europe and from . . . what we often talk about as the civilized world," Putin said. "Therefore, it is with difficulty that I imagine NATO as an enemy."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2023, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
UNDERSEA THREAT: Ukraine has deployed its 1st generation of submersible naval drones. Pivot mounted ducted propellors facilitate rapid dives. It's estimated that these Gen 1 submersibles carry a forward-oriented shaped charge warhead in the range of 25-30 pounds (9-13 Kg).

5:09 PM · Aug 5, 2023
·
Views
Nice.

Old 08-05-2023, 08:28 PM

26,914 posts, read 22,797,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
Both navalniy and saakashvili are a bit off. I’ve met saakashvili once at a meeting. He did a lot cleaning up my country and many were grateful for that, but to come back knowing you will die in prison is just stupid.

I agree.

At that, Saakashvili has even more mental problems than Navalny from everything I observed from his "Ukrainian days."

And I don't understand why Navalny was willing to take such risk returning to Russia, when he knew perfectly well what was awaiting him there.

Old 08-05-2023, 08:37 PM

2,073 posts, read 1,356,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G in MP View Post
And why should independent nations who seek NATO membership, go thru the vetting, and fulfill all the obligations for membership admittance, then be denied membership?

Also, this:

Acting Russian President Vladimir Putin, in an unexpected gesture to the West, suggested in a television interview today that Russia would consider joining NATO if the Western alliance agreed to treat Russia as an equal partner.

"Why not? Why not?" Putin said when asked by BBC interviewer David Frost about Russian membership. "I do not rule out such a possibility . . . in the case that Russia's interests will be reckoned with, if it will be an equal partner....Russia is a part of European culture, and I do not consider my own country in isolation from Europe and from . . . what we often talk about as the civilized world," Putin said. "Therefore, it is with difficulty that I imagine NATO as an enemy."
That interview was done in the year 2000. Some people would have mentioned that.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/archi...-8cae673790cd/
Check out this article from 2000 for a reminder on other things that didn't go so well.

Old 08-05-2023, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
Nonsense, Putin has his own goals, he stated many times publicly that he doesn't even regard Ukraine as a real country.

He thinks of them as 'little Russians' who speak a bastardized form of language.

Putin just wants to drag Ukraine and Belarus back into 'mother' Russia.
He is a colonial expansionist.

This has nothing to do with the west. It is 100% Putin.

Of course, people all over the world can see this, and he makes himself look like a threat.

And he is right about that one on both accounts, except for he fails to understand that what Russia IS under his management, is precisely what prevents the unification of all three.

Apparently he was running his propaganda machine for so long, that he started believing it himself that he is the best thing that happened to Russia.

Which is far away from truth.

Old 08-05-2023, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G in MP View Post

Also, this:

They shouldn't have been offered a membership to begin with, that was my whole point.

Because this is a matter of diplomacy (that Ukrainian government in particular has no concept of,) but bigger/more important/older states should understand.

When it comes to Putin and his desire to join NATO - I think he came to realization with time, that NATO was created with idea to be anti-Russian in mind.

Another thing you need to realize is that no matter how anti-Western Putin's rhetoric sounds now, initially he wanted very much to be part of the West.
The growing conflict between Putin and the West, the reason behind it was not that Putin was "anti-Western," but because he was not getting the kind of place at the table of the "supper club," that he was hoping for.

Old 08-05-2023, 08:57 PM

He's right about ukrainian language being bastardized russian, that's what you're going with? So ridiculous.

Old 08-05-2023, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
They shouldn't have been offered a membership to begin with, that was my whole point.

Because this is a matter of diplomacy (that Ukrainian government in particular has no concept of,) but bigger/more important/older states should understand.

When it comes to Putin and his desire to join NATO - I think he came to realization with time, that NATO was created with idea to be anti-Russian in mind.

Another thing you need to realize is that no matter how anti-Western Putin's rhetoric sounds now, initially he wanted very much to be part of the West.
The growing conflict between Putin and the West, the reason behind it was not that Putin was "anti-Western," but because he was not getting the kind of place at the table of the "supper club," that he was hoping for.
Again, why?

Old 08-05-2023, 09:08 PM

8,991 posts, read 11,878,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
UNDERSEA THREAT: Ukraine has deployed its 1st generation of submersible naval drones. Pivot mounted ducted propellors facilitate rapid dives. It's estimated that these Gen 1 submersibles carry a forward-oriented shaped charge warhead in the range of 25-30 pounds (9-13 Kg).

5:09 PM · Aug 5, 2023
·
Views
I think these are a poor man's torpedoes. Next goal for Ukraine is to develop torpedoes that can operate completely submerged.

Old 08-05-2023, 09:20 PM

Mariupol. 20 Russian officers got to eat some cianide, at a party thrown for them. 2 dead, 15 others seriously ill.
Evidently, ukrainian resistance got in on the catering for this gathering, so added some flavor to the meals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies