Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support giving Ukraine F-16s
Yes 201 39.88%
No 254 50.40%
Unsure 49 9.72%
Voters: 504. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2023, 09:10 PM

7,825 posts, read 2,755,980 times

Advertisements

ISW Update 1/11/23

https://www.understandingwar.org/bac...anuary-11-2023

Quote:
Russian forces have not yet fully captured Soledar despite recent Russian advances, and the possible capture of Soledar is unlikely to enable Russian forces to capture Bakhmut. ISW assesses that Russian forces have not yet captured Soledar, despite numerous claims from Russian sources.[17] Russian claims about Russian advances in Soledar continue to generate discussion amongst Russian sources about the likelihood of Russian forces capturing Bakhmut.[18] Some Russian sources have begun discussing an implausible collapse of the current Ukrainian frontline and a Ukrainian retreat as far back as Slovyansk and Kramatorsk.[19] The Russian discussion about the imminent capture of Bakhmut and the collapse of Ukrainian defensive lines are divorced from the current operational reality in the Bakhmut area, where Russian forces remain far from severing Ukrainian ground lines of communication (GLOCs) needed to encircle Bakhmut.[20] Russian offensive operations to capture Bakhmut have likely culminated due to degraded operational capabilities.[21]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2023, 12:07 AM

29,988 posts, read 25,118,669 times
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...uverify%20wall

Another problem for the west. As long as there is a market with willing buyers for Russia's debt, Putin can continue waging war, and perhaps step up production of military vehicles and equipment. If Putin secures enough financial support, and Russia is able to hold onto recent gains or even secure more victories, they may step up their recruitment of mercenaries while their regular military takes a rest and recharges.

This war is a trap designed to lure the west into attacking Russia directly. Read a history book to figure out why.

Old 01-12-2023, 05:38 AM

51,733 posts, read 26,026,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post

Another problem for the west. As long as there is a market with willing buyers for Russia's debt, Putin can continue waging war, and perhaps step up production of military vehicles and equipment. If Putin secures enough financial support, and Russia is able to hold onto recent gains or even secure more victories, they may step up their recruitment of mercenaries while their regular military takes a rest and recharges.

This war is a trap designed to lure the west into attacking Russia directly. Read a history book to figure out why.
If this is Putin's plan for victory, I hope there's a backup plan.

Even if he could secure financial support (got to wonder who that would be - China? Saudi Arabia? ??), where are these unemployed mercenaries to be recruited?

The unemployment rate among mercenaries is bound to be pretty low these days, and why would any mercenary want to leave their current employer to work for Putin?

Russian military is all over the place, leadership changes constantly, living conditions aren't much, weapons are from decades ago, and, worst of all, they are losing, so there's a good chance you won't get paid.

Old 01-12-2023, 05:50 AM

2,389 posts, read 1,114,388 times
Quote:

Not sure what you've been reading but I'm not buying what you're saying....
especially the part about that this war is a trap designed to lure the west into attacking
Russia directly....hogwash.

Old 01-12-2023, 07:05 AM

51,733 posts, read 26,026,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTB365 View Post
Not sure what you've been reading but I'm not buying what you're saying....
especially the part about that this war is a trap designed to lure the west into attacking
Russia directly....hogwash.
Though, if it were, hard to see Russia coming out ahead in that exchange.

Speaking of traps, Russia is sending more troops and equipment to Crimea. Hope they bring enough supplies to last for awhile. Civilian truck drivers are refusing to drive the land bridge route to Crimea to bring food, etc. to Crimea.

Old 01-12-2023, 09:07 AM

7,825 posts, read 2,755,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotherequickasicould View Post
if this is putin's plan for victory, i hope there's a backup plan.

even if he could secure financial support (got to wonder who that would be - china? Saudi arabia? ??), where are these unemployed mercenaries to be recruited?

The unemployment rate among mercenaries is bound to be pretty low these days, and why would any mercenary want to leave their current employer to work for putin?

Russian military is all over the place, leadership changes constantly, living conditions aren't much, weapons are from decades ago, and, worst of all, they are losing, so there's a good chance you won't get paid.
There does not appear to be a Plan B here....LOL

Old 01-12-2023, 09:11 AM

102,390 posts, read 108,714,406 times
Quote:
It didn't start out that way. It started out, in the eyes of its organizers, as a minor corrective action. They didn't expect the West (not to mention--countries on Russia's periphery) to get involved. Even now, it's only a trap if the West allows it to be one. I don't agree that it's an intentional trap. The West isn't dumb enough to fall for that, anyway. Your theory ascribes motives to the West that don't exist. But Russia has a history of projecting its own thinking onto others.

However, I doubt Russia would have intentionally set up a situation that's cost its own population tens of thousands of lives (and counting), just to try to lure the West into something.

Old 01-12-2023, 09:12 AM

102,390 posts, read 108,714,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
If this is Putin's plan for victory, I hope there's a backup plan.

Even if he could secure financial support (got to wonder who that would be - China? Saudi Arabia? ??), where are these unemployed mercenaries to be recruited?

The unemployment rate among mercenaries is bound to be pretty low these days, and why would any mercenary want to leave their current employer to work for Putin?

The way things have been going, there's a good chance mercenaries wouldn't live to collect a paycheck, anyway.

Old 01-12-2023, 09:55 AM

25,756 posts, read 17,515,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
I read your link. I was suspicious considering that the discovery was supposed to be in 2022. The media release was undated and also contained these words:

I thought that was strange so investigated further. That media release was actually issued on July 6, 2011. The proof is the 4th item on this page ( https://www.ecooilandgas.com/2011/ ) which is a link leading to the page you linked to.

Well, that's interesting. I think I must have read that date as 2025..... who knows?

Further investigating indicates there is appraisal drilling going on at Venus well. It seems interest was accelerated in 2022. Google Namibia oil production and there are lots of articles.
At any rate, it looks like Namibia Oil will become a reality in due time.
Thanks.

Old 01-12-2023, 10:17 AM

7,694 posts, read 5,585,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Well, that's interesting. I think I must have read that date as 2025..... who knows?

Further investigating indicates there is appraisal drilling going on at Venus well. It seems interest was accelerated in 2022. Google Namibia oil production and there are lots of articles.
At any rate, it looks like Namibia Oil will become a reality in due time.
Thanks.
I googled. you’re right. You just had the wrong media release. It looks like there was a significant discovery in February 2022.

https://oilprice.com/Latest-Energy-N...Potential.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies