Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2021, 05:53 PM

73,225 posts, read 63,111,246 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
The easiest way to bring back manufacturing: become a third world country with no labor, environmental, or safety standards. Corporations would be tripping over themselves to open new factories here.
Here is the truth. Most people aren't going to work labor-intensive, dangerous jobs unless.....
1) There is no other option. People who can obtain college degrees and get lucrative jobs won't go into manufacturing. They have options.
2) The pay is very good, good enough to get a home, eat nicely, and buy nice things. We live in a materialistic society, and many people would like to have nice things. If a job isn't paying enough, said persons will seek something else out.

Many corporations want people who are satisfied with very little, and not daunted by danger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2021, 05:59 PM

Welcome to the law of unintended consequences. I myself would like to see far more use of electric vehicles, biodiesel, and other energy options that would lessen our use of oil. However, the way it's being done isn't making us get there any faster. It's just creating supply issues, particularly with truckers. Nothing being done is working. It's just creating more problems. The law of unintended consequences. The idea of "if we make it nearly impossible for truckers to use diesel, maybe said truckers will switch to electric and other fuels". No, not going to happen. Law of unintended consequences is that shipping is more difficult than ever. It's hurting supplies. It's getting more difficult for the truckers. And now, lawmakers don't want to admit that their decisions are costly. Or maybe they know it's costly and they're willing to do whatever it takes.

Old 10-22-2021, 06:31 PM

16,615 posts, read 10,815,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
It’s like communism, but without the guaranteed job & income from the collective shoe factory.
"We pretend to work, and they pretend to pay us."

Old 10-22-2021, 07:53 PM

30,975 posts, read 21,774,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Jasper View Post
The concern is not so much shortages, but the crime wave that will ensue once the shortages are commonplace.

Brace for the crimewave.
Last summer, conspiracy theory nut, Mike Adams, said by the end of this year the Chinese military would start attacking the U. S. from the Mexican border and from the west coast. Chinese would also conduct terrorist incidents. No sign of that happening. He now says there will be food shortages and food riots. No sign of that happening, either.

Old 10-22-2021, 08:30 PM

48,720 posts, read 35,274,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Last summer, conspiracy theory nut, Mike Adams, said by the end of this year the Chinese military would start attacking the U. S. from the Mexican border and from the west coast. Chinese would also conduct terrorist incidents. No sign of that happening. He now says there will be food shortages and food riots. No sign of that happening, either.
It IS bad out there!

I went out to buy McCormick organic cloves, and I had to buy the STORE brand.

I'm not sure I can get through this.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 10-22-2021, 09:02 PM

12,536 posts, read 8,309,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
It IS bad out there!

I went out to buy McCormick organic cloves, and I had to buy the STORE brand.

I'm not sure I can get through this.
Substitutes are fine, sometimes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CaMUfxVJVQ&t=2s

Old 10-22-2021, 09:05 PM

10,796 posts, read 3,631,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerys52SoSilver View Post
Daily Mail has as article on shortages and scroll to just see pictures and video.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...shortages.html

On Reddit one can read/see/follow at www.reddit.com/r/Shortages/ mostly USA stories but also some UK and EU.
Someone started www.reddit.com/r/BritishFoodShortages/

Last year on tv news there was already reminder just buy what you need, do not buy extra groceries, because if all buy extra is not enough. Most stick to buying same quantity and maybe like 1 extra pasta or a extra tea. Here in EU preppers are very few. Also our kitchens are quite small, no place to storage, no pantry.

In summer fridge/freezer died and was/still is shortage household appliances, was not much choice and this is way smaller because was nothing else to buy.
On top of the world wide disruptions and shortages, Great Britain is the author of its own mess with Brexit. To be honest as an outsider, how the heck could a majority be convinced that was a good idea? You did it too yourselves.

Old 10-22-2021, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
I don't listen to conspiracy theorists. All I see out of them is alot of paranoia, along with anger.

Old 10-22-2021, 10:58 PM

18,596 posts, read 7,465,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Unfortunately the longshore workers are not the problem, they make an average of $80-$100,000 and there is no shortage. The problem is the shortage of truck drivers . . . .
There's no shortage of truck drivers. There's a problem with California banning them from working in the state.

Old 10-23-2021, 08:34 AM

2,044 posts, read 908,436 times
I've come to the conclusion that if you read and believe all this gloom and doom crap on city data, you will put your mind and brain in a very bad place...might as well kill yourself now and get it over with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies