Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2013, 11:30 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,990,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Who cares why this kid did what he did? .
Maybe we should care.The kid's actions were reprehensible, but while I do not think there is hope to examine and change the radical Islamic mind, we should be less pessimistic about those who come here, after all 999 of 1,000 are law-abiding Is is possible to avoid future resident terrorists like this one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2013, 05:56 AM

14,485 posts, read 11,300,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
I guess you bought it then
Someone linked it. Of course I had to read it, otherwise, how could I continue my outrage-a-thon?

Old 07-19-2013, 05:59 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,579,057 times
Default Rolling Stone Magazine....seriously?

Rolling Stone has gotten a couple of days of free nationwide exposure over this nonissue. Their circulation is likely to increase as a result.

Old 07-19-2013, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
The government? Wingnuts are all worked up over the cover photo, and expressing outrage over the use of a picture that has been shown already thousands of times. The stereotype of a bearded, brown skinned man wearing a headscarf was shattered and this made wingnuts very uncomfortable and angry.

What triggered this outrage is as puzzling to me as the reasons this seemingly gentle and normal kid turned into a killer.
Wait a minute. You just declared it was because the stereotype was shattered, now you're saying you're puzzled? So which is it odanny?

Why do you people think you know this kid? For all we know at this point, he may have even masterminded the attacks for god's sake.

Old 07-19-2013, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
I dont know what the deal is, but maybe I am bias because I think he is hot.
The guy is in jail and no one is forcing anyone to buy the magazine.
He not the first killer to get the cover of Rolling Stone.

Here picture of Charles Manson
http://frtim.files.wordpress.com/201...tone.jpg?w=470

Heck even Hitler made Time Magazine http://www.washingtonpost.com/rf/ima...s/06059Y06.jpg
Sunny, your analogies are not correct. A good analogy for Charles Manson would have been a cover photo of Susan Atkins, looking out from a magazine cover like Audrey Hepburn with an article asking "how did she fall under his spell", the edition coming out within three months of the Tate/LaBianca murders.

Your comment about him being hot explains the differences between men and women very aptly. Some of those Manson girls were attractive as well, but I never once would have sympathized with them.

Old 07-19-2013, 06:45 AM

1,730 posts, read 1,363,955 times
Kinda reminds me of the time cnn showed those pictures of a 12 yr old trayvon martin.

Old 07-19-2013, 06:51 AM

1,160 posts, read 1,432,767 times
Snowden would have been a fitting cover. He really is a hero in many people's estimation. So are Bradley Manning and Julian Assange. Besides, Snowden looks a little like Buddy Holly...

Old 07-19-2013, 07:42 AM

2,707 posts, read 2,840,685 times
Sometimes it seems the media jumps on the " what is the flavor of the moment" in hopes to boost ratings/ circulation/ or advertising dollars. Like someone said, Rolling Stone used to feature musicians, writers, and actors were also interviewed back in the days. I would take " Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" any day. Apparently, circulation is down.

Old 07-19-2013, 08:28 AM

3,393 posts, read 4,015,194 times
First of all, I get it. The idea is to show that this looks like a normal American kid. We are meant to question our previously-held stereotype of Islamist terrorists. Yes, I get it. And Rolling Stone, you are soooo edgy and cool.

Here is what disturbs me about it; I do find that picture of him to be sexy, alluring and attractive. However, I am a mature, intelligent, married woman. How does this picture affect a 14 yr old girl, a 19 yr old? She might send him fanmail, maybe because she is lonely, confused, or stupid. Maybe just to be funny, hip or ironic.

The reason doesn't matter.

BUT, the news story about the thousands and thousands of pieces of fan mail that he gets DOES matter. How many copycats will spin out of this? How many depressed, isolated, disturbed losers will think this is a great way to get on the cover of Rolling Stone? Get fame? Get thousands of devoted fans?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not frothing at the mouth over this. I'm not going to boycott anything or write my local congressman about it. I just think it's irresponsible journalism. Of all the millions of people you could draw attention to in a positive way, this is the wrong one.

Old 07-19-2013, 08:40 AM

10,177 posts, read 20,798,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
I don't care at all who is on the cover including Zimmerman. I have more important things going on in my life. Magazines throughout the years have had many controversial figures on their cover....killers, terrorists. Good grief we had Bin Laden on a cover. Where was the outrage about that. Sorry, I just don't understand the outrage about this.
Clearly you don't have more important things going on in your life or you wouldn't have commented on this thread. The outrage is that Rolling Stone chose to use a flattering photo of this puke and then made an attempt to understand his mindset and how he was clearly a sweet innocent kid who became a "victim" of his mother's radical beliefs. This terrorist knew what he was doing and Rolling Stone feels compelled for whatever reason to makes excuses for his choices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
congratulations to all the bo-bos here

This thread will be a shiny example for future anthropologists of how 21st Century media-hyptonized zombies got worked into a lather over pretend and distorted issues without ever checking out the story for themselves.
You assume no one has checked out the article for themselves before offering an opinion while contributing snarky, elitist comments. Please, enlighten us almighty one, tell us what this article is really about. The unwashed masses down here in the trenches need your "unbiased" opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Maybe we should care.The kid's actions were reprehensible, but while I do not think there is hope to examine and change the radical Islamic mind, we should be less pessimistic about those who come here, after all 999 of 1,000 are law-abiding Is is possible to avoid future resident terrorists like this one?
I care about the victims of this murderer, but not the evil little terrorist himself. We're never going to change the radical mind, and I'd argue it's way more than 999 out of 1,000 who share these radical ideals or at least sympathize with the extremists. I've met and have befriended some awesome folks from around the globe; Egyptians, Saudis, Iranians, Turkish...all Muslim. No worries there. What I don't appreciate is the silent majority that won't speak out against the terror attacks and radical mindset.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies