Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2013, 10:49 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,292,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
WTF are you talking about? The topic of THIS THREAD is the requirement of a college degree.

Yet, here you ago, another Tepublican Gynecologist, spouting off about spreading my legs.

I probably make more than you ~ you freak.
And my reply was to another poster who said only the wealthy can afford college. My reply stands pat: Can't afford em? Don't have em. Dont like what I say? Don't read it and do you really think I care how much you make? And before you spout of certain claims, you better make damn sure you do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2013, 11:05 PM

15,087 posts, read 13,504,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/20/bu...nies.html?_r=0

Great article from the New York Times. Even a $10/hour job as a document runner for this law firm requires a college degree now. All of this thanks to degree inflation, or shall I call it degree water down. All because liberals think everyone has the right to go to college. If one tries to even insinuate that maybe college might not be right for everyone. they throw a hissy fit.
The reason that this would be happening is because the job providers are requiring it.

So if you blame liberals, then I guess you have just stated in a roundabout way that liberals are the primary job creators in this country.

Old 02-20-2013, 11:20 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,636,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Nope. Not at all. I'm not wealthy, yet I've sent 2 of my 3 children to college and paid for it myself. No loans, grants, etc. All out of my own pocket and you want to know how? Wait for it...I planned for it. Wow, novel concept huh? I didn't ask one single tax payer in this country, to pay more money in taxes, to send my children to school. Not one. And before all you limp wristed liberals start: Nope. They went to private schools their entire lives; no public schools.
I bet you even built your own roads to get your kids to their private schools too, didn't you.

Old 02-20-2013, 11:23 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,375,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vejadu View Post
It's interesting that universities are never held accountable for their expensive and rising tuition costs, the way other industries are vilified. Why should a higher education cost tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars that the student (if they graduate and even manage to find a job in their field) spends decades paying off?

Shouldn't education be affordable for the average person without relying on scholarships, government grants and loans? Why do these bastions of Liberalism look like monuments to greed and unrestrained Capitalism?
Oh yes, they are.
Don't get an education, no one else cares.
But stop blaming others for your failures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
What's the point, then?

[nobody is making anybody require a college degree for anything - that's up to the employer]
I know. It's the employer's choice.

I use degrees to weed out applicants.
I get dozens of applicants for each vacant position I plan to fill.
I want someone who can complete something on their own - a degree is one of those screeners.

Don't want to make the cut, that's on you.

Last edited by chielgirl; 02-20-2013 at 11:32 PM..

Old 02-20-2013, 11:31 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,962,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
I bet you even built your own roads to get your kids to their private schools too, didn't you.

No, but I am willing to bet that he paid taxes that helped to pay for the roads he uses. The government has never built a road and has never paid for a road. The government has NO money of its own. They are simply a middleman that distributes funding that originates from taxpayers. So while he may not have built the road he drove his kids to school on, he did pay someone else to build them for him. The government is just an inefficient middleman that runs up the costs of building infrastructure.

Old 02-20-2013, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
No, but I am willing to bet that he paid taxes that helped to pay for the roads he uses. The government has never built a road and has never paid for a road. The government has NO money of its own. They are simply a middleman that distributes funding that originates from taxpayers. So while he may not have built the road he drove his kids to school on, he did pay someone else to build them for him. The government is just an inefficient middleman that runs up the costs of building infrastructure.
So you know that his road usage equals exactly the amount of money he paid in taxes toward that usage?

I bet you believe that the amount in tuition he paid was also equal to the actual cost of educating his kids too, right?

Oh yes, I know. I'm sure he paid more than his fair share on both counts.

Old 02-20-2013, 11:48 PM

Quote:
So you know that his road usage equals exactly the amount of money he paid in taxes toward that usage?

I bet you believe that the amount in tuition he paid was also equal to the actual cost of educating his kids too, right?

Oh yes, I know. I'm sure he paid more than his fair share on both counts.
Oh yes you are a special little snowflake... No, directly he probably didn't pay enough in taxes to pay for the roads he drives on, but I am relatively sure that he made purchases at businesses which in turn had to pay taxes on the profits from that transaction and in turn also contributed.. Is there an exact measurement of what we actually contribute on a day to day basis? No, but we all make a contribution. None the less, the government still has never built or paid for anything. The government has no money of its own. The cost of education? No of coarse not. With the highly overpaid and undereducated professors in colleges today it would be impossible for each individual to pay for the expense of college, but like the road, it gets paid by all of our contributions, not by the government.

Old 02-20-2013, 11:54 PM

Quote:
No, directly he probably didn't pay enough in taxes to pay for the roads he drives on, but I am relatively sure that he made purchases at businesses which in turn had to pay taxes on the profits from that transaction and in turn also contributed.. Is there an exact measurement of what we actually contribute on a day to day basis? No, but we all make a contribution.
Exactly. Some of us just don't feel the need to climb up on a cross to whine about it.

Quote:
The cost of education? No of coarse not. With the highly overpaid and undereducated professors in colleges today it would be impossible for each individual to pay for the expense of college, but like the road, it gets paid by all of our contributions, not by the government.
Guess you don't have any real knowledge of universities work. The bloat is with administration, not with those who actually teach and do research.

Quote:
None the less, the government still has never built or paid for anything. The government has no money of its own.
Where exactly did I argue that the government has money of its own to pay for all the services that we enjoy in this country? Stop making up strawman arguments, you special little snowflake.

Old 02-20-2013, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Exactly. Some of us just don't feel the need to climb up on a cross to whine about it.

Guess you don't have any real knowledge of universities work. The bloat is with administration, not with those who actually teach and do research.

Where exactly did I argue that the government has money of its own to pay for all the services that we enjoy in this country? Stop making up strawman arguments, you special little snowflake.
Well bless your little heart.. You actually do understand how some of this works...

Old 02-21-2013, 12:06 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,604,747 times
Getting a college degree isn't that hard....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies