Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2013, 10:34 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,980,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/20/bu...nies.html?_r=0

Great article from the New York Times. Even a $10/hour job as a document runner for this law firm requires a college degree now. All of this thanks to degree inflation, or shall I call it degree water down. All because liberals think everyone has the right to go to college. If one tries to even insinuate that maybe college might not be right for everyone. they throw a hissy fit.

A lot of technical work does not require a college education (network engineering, software engineering, etc...), though it does require "education" (ie able to show you are proficient in the technology). A lot of the network engineering field is filled with "self taught" people. Not like they are going to find much coming out of the education system anyway. Might as well have no education at all if you are applying for a technical job with a liberal arts or equivalent degree.

Though, I do agree that most of the jobs out there that require little knowledge or ability to do are pushing having a college degree. Though most of the people graduating have essentially a glorified high school diploma with their degree anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2013, 10:40 AM

7,300 posts, read 6,752,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
A lot of technical work does not require a college education (network engineering, software engineering, etc...), though it does require "education" (ie able to show you are proficient in the technology). A lot of the network engineering field is filled with "self taught" people.
This is true! My brother makes 4, maybe 5 times what I do (and I don't do badly), in a tech career. He started out playing with computers as a teen, and now manages a huge tech dept within a very large bank. He has no college degree.

Old 02-21-2013, 10:42 AM

89,454 posts, read 45,139,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
Amendment XVI:

Article 1, Section 8, Clause 1:

The Congress shall have the Power to lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare* of the United States; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States.
The GENERAL welfare of the United States. Not the individual welfare of citizens and illegal aliens.

Quote:
LOL! I guess the framers were into enslaving the nation.
The Framers? You might want to look up when the 16th Amendment was ratified.

(Hint: The Framers were long dead by then.)

Yet another shining example of liberal ignorance.

Old 02-21-2013, 10:56 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,210,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
BS.

Only about 20% of adults have a 4 year degree. Apparently most people do not perceive it as a minimum.

Affirmative Action does not benefit people who want to graduate if they are at the wrong school. If I get into Harvard because of AA and I'm not smart enough to graduate, no matter how much I want it, I ain't graduasting. I'm likely to flunk out with huge amounts of debt and no prospects for earning a high imcome.

Without AA, I could have gone to a Georgetown or Villanova instead of Harvard. Coulda graduated with a well-respected degree, less debt and a good job.

Been better of with Affirmative Action. But that doesn't matter to liberals. As long as we can say we are helping people. Don't pay attention to the results.

Affirmative Action is for losers. If you need it then you aren't capable but you want everyone to pretend you are.

And comparing a college alumni association to AA is nonsense. AA is a government policy that forces decisions on people against their will. Alumni Associations are mutually voluntary groups that don't force anyone to do anything. And what's wrong with using personal/business connections to better one's life? Everyone does it whether they went to school or not.
That's terrible @ the bold. Guess you speaking about yourself with the AA part. AA doesn't force anyone to do anything. People apply to the schools on their own. It's up to them to succeed.

Who is talking about alumni associations? I'm speaking about alumni privilege or rather legacy privileges. It affects over 1/4 of the admissions many schools.

Old 02-21-2013, 11:09 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,929,327 times
Oh I dunno about that. If I was in high school today I think instead of college I would be looking at a trade like welding. Good pay and high demand. That four year degree in PolySci isn't going to get you very far.

Old 02-21-2013, 11:22 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,679,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Meanwhile the people seeking careers in trade skills, like plumbing, woodworking, carpentry, construction, brick laying, carpentry, etc... are not discussed by Obama at all. There are no grants to owners of trade skill businesses to hire and train people, because they don't have cool names like Skip Gates, don't have deep pockets, or college basketball teams, and their students don't borrow billions of dollars in tuition loans from the government. Also, these businesses don't help move Obama's liberal agenda.
That is not true. In a speech a while ago (before the SOTU) he most definitely said that people should also pursue careers in the trades, as well as college and that those people should also get assistance to pursue a trade career.

Old 02-21-2013, 11:24 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,927,836 times
It's more of just supply and demand. Right now there are a lot of people looking for work so employers can make the job requirements as high as they want and they'll still get a ton of applicants. The OP should go back to school instead of endlessly whining about his lack of job qualifications.

Old 02-21-2013, 11:27 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,679,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
No, but the left in this country is the "side" pushing for everyone to get a college degree.
No, the left is on the side of giving everyone who wants to go to college the opportunity to go.

Old 02-21-2013, 11:37 AM

89,454 posts, read 45,139,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
No, the left is on the side of giving everyone who wants to go to college the opportunity to go.
Sorry, but forcing anyone into nondischargeable crippling student debt to do so is unconscionable.

What $200,000 In Student Loan Debt Looks Like

Old 02-21-2013, 11:38 AM

15,896 posts, read 12,024,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Sorry, but forcing anyone into nondischargeable crippling student debt to do so is unconscionable.

What $200,000 In Student Loan Debt Looks Like

Yep!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies