Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2013, 01:44 PM

63,917 posts, read 46,979,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke_Jaguar4 View Post
I work in cybersecurity, where thanks to millions of crap programmers out there we will always have an infinite amount of work. Since you've stereotyped my company, allow me to stereotype yours:

You probably work in a shop strewn with Cheetos and redbulls with guys who code all day; if it compiles then they're good to go. You push crap code on your "customers" (actually they're beta testers who pay for the privilege). If a customer has an issue it goes in a queue that you'll get too sometime next year, if ever. Security and Quality Control? Not your problem. Meanwhile you have "Sale Engineers" who promise the world, suckering in new beta testers (oops, customers) and the process repeats.

Also, as a consultant I'm sure you're comfortable with the idea that you're as disposable as used toilet paper.
You bring back some of my former life nightmares. The consequence of crap code in many businesses is too great and this is why these businesses have embraced process oriented rollouts. People's lives and fortunes depend on a rock solid turnover. This is very different than discretionary entertainment products that have an endless base of volunteer beta testers in the wing who live to kill the code.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2013, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post

What ever happened to getting a job at 18 and starting at the bottom?
Most of that bottom that used to exist has disappeared with outsourcing and technology.

The new(er) bottom tends to be retail. I said earlier on this thread, I would target Walmart before being a file clerk at a law firm unless intended to get a law degree and pass the bar. Where others see deadend ( retail) I see unlimited opportunity. Politics can be brutal in any industry. Those into victim mentalities tend to get stuck.

Old 02-21-2013, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantin23 View Post
Thanks to conservative free trade politicians, all of the jobs that don't require one were sent to China.
Misplaced blame.

The world became a global marketplace. No one is going to pay a cent more than is necessary for anything. The future belongs to the lowest cost producers, regardless of country.
The more the U.S. embraces technology the more likely it will, at some future date, begin to take back some of the jobs it lost. Those jobs however, are not going to be the same jobs lost in the past.

Old 02-21-2013, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
When I went to school, there were basically two paths to choose. You either went to college or you learned a trade. Today our young people are being steered away from the trades and being told that they won't be successful without college when the fact is that those who follow the trades are usually employed and over their first 4 years will out earn a recent college grad, depending on the degree program. We will always need carpenters, masons, electricians, plumbers, mechanics and the list goes on. If a young person pays attention, the opportunity for success can still reside in the trades. We only need so many social science degree grads.
There's no shortage of skilled or unskilled trades people on unemployment, right now.
For the work that is available, small business increasingly relies on undocumented workers not limited to Mexicans. Millions arrive in the U.S. on tourist visas from Eastern European countries ready to work for less. If one shop refuses to employ them, the next shop will and their estimates for a job will undercut the business trying to do the right thing.

Big time contractors sub contract to others who sub contract. The house of cards is being built on the backs of undocumented workers.

If one had a magic wand and could make illegals vanish, the outcome would be higher cost for the end consumer.

Old 02-21-2013, 02:09 PM

31,384 posts, read 37,200,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
A lack of a dregree certainly did not hurt Bill Gates or Mark Zuckerberg, innovators and entrepeneurs.
Emphasis is on the lack of degree not the lack of attendance which disguises that fact that the networks and resources that Gates, Zuckerberg and Jobs established and relied on while attending their respective top universities didn't act as a hinderance to their product developments.

Old 02-21-2013, 02:13 PM

31,384 posts, read 37,200,985 times
Quote:

Big time contractors sub contract to others who sub contract. The house of cards is being built on the backs of undocumented workers.
Here in the Philadelphia area the biggest enforcers of immigration policy on major construction projects are the building trades unions, undocumented workers don't work on major construction projects and if by some chance they so slip by, they get paid a union wage like everybody else.

Old 02-21-2013, 02:33 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,765,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
The GENERAL welfare of the United States. Not the individual welfare of citizens and illegal aliens.
Oh I see! So the citizens are NOT the U.S.? What's the U.S.? TREES? SQUIRRELS? GRASS?

omg, the lunacy here is astounding.

Old 02-21-2013, 02:37 PM

2,137 posts, read 1,912,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
Oh I see! So the citizens are NOT the U.S.? What's the U.S.? TREES? SQUIRRELS? GRASS?

omg, the lunacy here is astounding.
You really can't see this distinction saritaschihuahua?
Consider when someones best interests hurt someone else's interests. Welfare of a society as a whole is distinct from individual welfares.

Old 02-21-2013, 02:41 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,319,483 times
Quote:
Most of that bottom that used to exist has disappeared with outsourcing and technology.

The new(er) bottom tends to be retail. I said earlier on this thread, I would target Walmart before being a file clerk at a law firm unless intended to get a law degree and pass the bar. Where others see deadend ( retail) I see unlimited opportunity. Politics can be brutal in any industry. Those into victim mentalities tend to get stuck.
Retail will soon be obsolete thanks to Amazon.com. Retail, fast food, and assembly line are about the only jobs left for people starting out.

Old 02-21-2013, 02:42 PM

89,678 posts, read 45,353,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
Oh I see! So the citizens are NOT the U.S.?
No, they're not. That's why they're called U.S. CITIZENS, President OF the United States, etc. A person is NEVER referred to as "the U.S."
Quote:
What's the U.S.?
The United STATES.

There is no stipulation anywhere in the Constitution stating that individuals are to be provided welfare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies