Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 10:59 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,375,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
There are some fields that want experience and a degree for maybe $12/hr. Accounting, engineering and decision science fields still start off significantly more than that.
So, you're talking entry salary.
Be clear about that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2013, 11:10 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,305,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
So, you're talking entry salary.
Be clear about that.
Yes, I don't know how common it is though. I am in a pretty math intensive program so I really only know about starting salaries related to my field.

Old 02-22-2013, 12:25 AM

30,485 posts, read 52,190,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Giz,

It is infinitely easier to rant when you don't have a clue about what you are ranting about.
Assume you're referring to the other poster, right?

Quote:
One of our oldest clients is a local pre-professional dance school which The Kid™ attended for a few years, so I have a really up close and personal understanding of what it takes for a kid to get accepted to Sarah Lawrence or NYU's dance program and you are right it takes years of dance classes, summer programs that cost in excess of $7,000 (see American Ballet Theater ABT) just to make to that level. You don't make it to Broadway or the even a third tier dance company by standing in front of a bedroom mirror.
Like the old joke goes - "How do you get to Carnegie Hall? Practice, practice, practice!" For a good 10-15 years of my life, I was taking private music lessons at least 2-3x/week; also had weekly orchestra rehearsals, performances, paid gigs (even as a child), summer workshops, camps, etc. I probably could have gone on to a professional career, but decided it was better left as a hobby than a job. Anyway, for those who truly DO want to go professional, at least some formal schooling is a must... and that costs $$$, unless you're lucky enough to get scholarships the whole way.

Old 02-22-2013, 03:04 AM

3,382 posts, read 8,681,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Yeah, you're right. Only the wealthy should obtain higher education.

Blame those so-called 'job creators' on their insane demands for working at McDonalds.
More jobs then people, you can be selective.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Old 02-22-2013, 06:09 AM

5,563 posts, read 4,280,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Yes, but where do you think they LEARN to dance at a higher level? Sure, some people can just get by on after-school lessons & such - but there really is nothing like an intense college concentration in fine arts. I know because I was a music major for two years (before switching to English Lit), and learned more in that two years than in the 15+ years of private lessons prior.

Btw, one of my friends studied dance at Sarah Lawrence, and was hired to perform in STOMP upon graduating. She toured with them for a few years, and now teaches at a children's dance school in the city. I realize that isn't typical of ALL fine arts graduates, but it does give you a step up in terms of intense education... and if you don't "make it" there's always teaching or following another path. You do realize you're not locked into practicing what you studied, right? Heck, my sister has a Law degree but has never worked as a lawyer.
LOVE Stomp! That's one of my daughter's dreams. And she might open her own dance studio some day (which is why she's probably switching to dance education as one of her majors). Meanwhile, she'd also like to write novels. In the back of her mind is speech writing for politicians. Anything can happen, and I simply can't bring myself to kill her dreams. I saved a lot of money and I'm willing to take out some loans of my own, plus both kids will have modest student loans to pay off (future teacher will probably have them forgiven by joining the program where you teach for several years in an inner city school, which is her choice anyway). Whatever happens, I've screwed up a lot of things in my life, and I don't intend on my children being more on the list.

I just don't understand the talking down and dismissal of this kind of thing, especially as it's not affecting any of these guys' precious tax dollars.

Old 02-22-2013, 08:00 AM

13,460 posts, read 15,611,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
My experience is not like that at all.
My BA is in Eng Lit and Soc. I graduated from the School of Education.

I haven't worked directly in my field in decades.
I still teach, now, it's accounting systems to engineers and other related types.
I'm still in the classroom (occasionally) but it's with an audience somewhat marginally more willing to learn than high school students.

I write and present briefings.
I work personnel and financial analysis.

The degree opened doors for me and the basic training I received laid the foundation for all of my future endeavors.

The only one who pigeonholes us is ourselves.
Definitely in the long term, the NYU degree probably would have opened lots of doors. Personally, I'm not particularly good at teaching or public speaking so those weren't options for me. For me, it was all or nothing then...either I was going to be a creative person or not. The entry level salaries in my field were $18,000-$20,000. That wasn't going to cut it in NYC. That was just how I felt back then. I also grew tired of classrooms and wanted to work. I'm not saying that I'm better off by dropping out, but I'm definitely not worse off either.

I'd prefer that my two girls pursue college educations, but if they do not want to that, I'd tell them that there are options out there besides dead end entry level jobs or low-level retail jobs.

Old 02-22-2013, 08:39 AM

31,384 posts, read 37,200,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Assume you're referring to the other poster, right?
That would be correct.

Old 02-22-2013, 08:46 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,248,715 times
Also the liberals and repub's alike have designed the system so these folks are saddled with sometimes 100,000 in student loans that cannot be discharged.....

Old 02-22-2013, 10:09 AM

7,300 posts, read 6,765,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
Is the OP still blaming his lack of job qualifications on other people or has he decided to get off of his backside and get the job skills needed to qualify himself for a job?
Yes. Which brings up a very good point. Right wingers like to talk about personal responsibility and yet all I hear ever out of right wingers is whining about how it's this one and that one's fault for the dismal way their lives have turned out. When it isn't the imaginary Reagan's fake welfare queen stealing funds from them, it's the imaginary 2 or 3 seats in college that caused them to not get in. Maybe the most important thing right wingers should do is develop some personal responsibility instead of just flapping their gums about how others should develop personal responsibility.

While they're at it, they need to grow a backbone, a pair of nice-sized c_j_nes, and, again, stop all that weepy whining they do 24/7. I have seriously never met bigger crybabies than right wing males. My 7 year old niece has nothing on them, really.

Here are some suggestions for all those right wingers that have no sense of personal responsibility and blame others for being rejected:

1) Get a job. Start from the bottom up. Work hard and stop your whining about how you couldn't get a better job because millions of job posts are reserved and kept hidden from you by the evil forces of commies hiding in the bushes. Nobody likes whiners, except maybe other whiners.

2) To get into college: Study hard. Get good grades, and don't whine that people are cheating you out of good grades - that will only make you look like an idiot. The last thing you want, is "whiner" and "idiot" written all over your face. Develop a personality, be compassionate, be friendly, don't whine. Learn to dress properly. Look in the mirror a lot. Practice not sounding like an idiot. Learn to spell and speak properly. You'll never get into a good college if you sound like a complete idiot, trust me. Read a lot (on your own, not just when a teacher asks you to), and not just BS propaganda from the right wing, as that will never make you a knowledgeable conversationalist in life, or at a college interview. It will only make you sound like a total idiot, and trust me, if you sound like an idiot, on paper or in person, you'll never be accepted at anything but the worst colleges. Become a leader in something for the good of mankind. Being pro-life will not cut it, as that merely implies you're a Bible nutjob, pushing your religious agenda, and if you are and can't help yourself but be a Bible nutjob, be sure to only apply to Bible colleges - they like that sort of thing. Also, activities such as carrying around misspelled signs along with the teabaggers is not going to be anything you can put down on the Activities and Accomplishments section of the Common App for college. They'll burst out laughing when they receive it and high-five each other at having received another application from another nutjob. If you do those things, you'll get into college somewhere.

Last edited by Saritaschihuahua; 02-22-2013 at 11:11 AM..

Old 02-22-2013, 10:45 AM

15,059 posts, read 6,232,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
Yes. Which brings up a very good point. Right wingers like to talk about personal responsibility and yet all I hear ever out of right wingers is whining about how it's this one and that one's fault for the dismal way their lives have turned out. When it isn't the imaginary Reagan's fake welfare queen stealing funds from them, it's the imaginary 2 or 3 seats in college that caused them to not get in. Maybe the most important thing right wingers should do is develop some personal responsibility instead of just flapping their gums about how others should develop personal responsibility.

While they're at it, they need to grow a backbone, a pair of nice-sized c_j_nes, and, again, stop all that weepy whining they do 24/7. I have seriously never met bigger crybabies than right wing males. My 7 year old niece has nothing on them, really.

Here are some suggestions for all those right wingers that have no sense of personal responsibility and blame others for being rejected:

1) Get a job. Start from the bottom up. Work hard and stop your whining about how you couldn't get a better job because millions of job posts are reserved and kept hidden from you by the evil forces of commies hiding in the bushes. Nobody likes whiners, except maybe other whiners.

2) To get into college: Study hard. Get good grades, and don't whine that people are cheating you out of good grades - that will only make you look like an idiot. The last thing you want, is "whiner" and "idiot" written all over your face. Develop a personality, be compassionate, be friendly, don't whine. Learn to dress properly. Look in the mirror a lot. Practice not sounding like an idiot. Learn to spell and speak properly. You'll never get into a good college if you sound like a complete idiot, trust me. Read a lot (on your own, not just when a teacher asks you to), and not just BS propaganda from the right wing, as that will never make you a knowledgeable conversationalist in life, on at a college interview. It will only make you sound like a total idiot, and trust me, if you sound like an idiot, on paper or in person, you'll never be accepted at anything but the worst colleges. Become a leader in something for the good of mankind. Being pro-life will not cut it, as that merely implies you're a Bible nutjob, pushing your religious agenda, and if you are and can't help yourself but be a Bible nutjob, be sure to only apply to Bible colleges - they like that sort of thing. Also, activities such as carrying around misspelled signs along with the teabaggers is not going to be anything you can put down on the Activities and Accomplishments section of the Common App for college. They'll burst out laughing when they receive it and high-five each other at having received another application from another nutjob. If you do those things, you'll get into college somewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies