Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2013, 12:51 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,812,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/20/bu...nies.html?_r=0

Great article from the New York Times. Even a $10/hour job as a document runner for this law firm requires a college degree now. All of this thanks to degree inflation, or shall I call it degree water down. All because liberals think everyone has the right to go to college. If one tries to even insinuate that maybe college might not be right for everyone. they throw a hissy fit.

That pesky GI bill ushered in the era of educating the masses. Vetrans returning from WW2 generally speaking either chose to go to school or seek employment in manufacturing. The acute labor shortage allowed unions to bargain for better wages and benefits.

The GI bill and unions, at the time, did more to lift more people into the middle class than anything else.

The whole grant thing began in earnest in the 60's and persisted into the 80's where grants transitioned into loans.

Of course there's a correlation between easy money for education and the cost of education no different than there being a correlation between a lack of education and low income jobs with limited opportunities for advancement.

There was a palatable shift in recruitment begining in the late 80's. The MBA was what the undergrad used to be and the undergrad was what the highschool dregree used to be. And back then, a heck of a lot of corporate employers offered tuition reimbursement to employees. Millions earned degrees on their employers' dime. Many still do. I was one of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2013, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Is there anything in the article that demonstrates that liberals are the ones who demand that all jobs must have a college education as a qualification?
Nope.

Just the OP's opinion.

Old 02-20-2013, 12:59 PM

3,046 posts, read 6,294,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/20/bu...nies.html?_r=0

Great article from the New York Times. Even a $10/hour job as a document runner for this law firm requires a college degree now. All of this thanks to degree inflation, or shall I call it degree water down. All because liberals think everyone has the right to go to college. If one tries to even insinuate that maybe college might not be right for everyone. they throw a hissy fit.

Most college grads do not know how to do a REAL JOB ! So they load up requirements with needing BS (there is more than 1 way of translating WHAT a "BS" degree IS ! LOL ) degrees, which is normally people afraid to get their hands dirty. WHAAAAAA. My last job the boss wanted me to train a BS'ed degreed idiot how to do it. He couldn't. He was scared of getting his hands a little greesy. WHAAAAA. A college requirement is nothing but a way to prolong kids from entering the full time work search for jobs that do not exist. It's nothing more because it sure isn't to teach them how to do a job !

Old 02-20-2013, 01:07 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,179,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12GO View Post
Most college grads do not know how to do a REAL JOB ! So they load up requirements with needing BS (there is more than 1 way of translating WHAT a "BS" degree IS ! LOL ) degrees, which is normally people afraid to get their hands dirty. WHAAAAAA. My last job the boss wanted me to train a BS'ed degreed idiot how to do it. He couldn't. He was scared of getting his hands a little greesy. WHAAAAA. A college requirement is nothing but a way to prolong kids from entering the full time work search for jobs that do not exist. It's nothing more because it sure isn't to teach them how to do a job !
That individual is applying himself to the wrong kind of job. College graduates generally are not crafty and are lacking in physical work skills.

Old 02-20-2013, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
I don't see where the liberal conspiracy is that required every $10 an hour jobs to have a bachelor degree?
Being a file clerk in a law firm ( OP's link) likely requires less skill than a Walmart job paying about the same. The Walmart job creates an opportunity to learn how to work with the general public and grow a business.

If I were 24 with a non engineering/technical/professional degree, in this market, I would be more likely to target Walmart for employment than a relatively small law firm where, without a law degree, my career options would be very limited. With 10,000 retail outlet in the world, the sky is the limit. The hell-o hanging out with college peers at the water cooler at a dead end job.

Old 02-20-2013, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Meanwhile the people seeking careers in trade skills, like plumbing, woodworking, carpentry, construction, brick laying, carpentry, etc... are not discussed by Obama at all. There are no grants to owners of trade skill businesses to hire and train people, because they don't have cool names like Skip Gates, don't have deep pockets, or college basketball teams, and their students don't borrow billions of dollars in tuition loans from the government. Also, these businesses don't help move Obama's liberal agenda.
In my neck of the woods, the trades people tend to be undocumented workers employed by small business. The more highly skilled jobs are performed by Eastern Europeans here on vacation visas. More routine jobs rely on Hispanics.

If small business guy does not chose this route, his competitors will and undercut him on price.

Larger employers are more likely to hire/ train documented employees who spend live off of unemployment or workers comp when the slow season begins.

The trades received an enourmost boost from the former easy mortgage money and home equity loans bsed economy. The adjustment back to normal has been painful.

Old 02-20-2013, 01:20 PM

4,130 posts, read 4,466,335 times
I think it's great, we should keep putting forward the positive stereotype that if you are liberal you have a good education.

I think it's ironic that the OP using a liberal news outlet as the basis of their delusional conspiratorial rant.

Old 02-20-2013, 01:26 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,179,448 times
Quote:
I think it's great, we should keep putting forward the positive stereotype that if you are liberal you have a good education.
Why? It's not true.

Old 02-20-2013, 01:27 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,908,995 times
Quote:

I think it's ironic that the OP using a liberal news outlet as the basis of their delusional conspiratorial rant.
This should be considered a negative stereotype, the one where liberals are so close-minded that they believe education is only synonomous with textbook regurgitation for 4 years at a university.

George Washington was uneducated because he didn't go to college

Old 02-20-2013, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statutory Ape View Post
How can you have education without sports?
Community colleges in my area all have sport programs. These schools are generally funded at the county level via county and property taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies