Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2013, 12:06 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,598,912 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
Strawmen aside, I don't think a single one of you genius liberals gets the point.

The OP makes it pretty clear.
What's the point, then?

[nobody is making anybody require a college degree for anything - that's up to the employer]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2013, 12:07 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,545,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Trade school isn't as good as a university for IT from an employer standpoint nor cheaper.My brother works in IT and the companies he worked for won't even interview a trade school graduate.
That is the problem this thread is addressing. IT recruiters are asking for too much. The recruiters are trying to get someone in IT that knows everything and only wants a low end pay scale. It's impossible to find those people, if you do, you end up with a Jack of All Trades and a Master of None. I bet your brother's company would interview someone with 10 years of experience over a fresh college grad any day. If they were smart they would, since college doesn't teach you squat about real world IT.

Old 02-20-2013, 12:08 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,545,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
What's the point, then?

[nobody is making anybody require a college degree for anything - that's up to the employer]
Duh, then the EMPLOYER is making that requirement right? So it's not "nobody" like you just said.

Old 02-20-2013, 12:11 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,598,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Duh, then the EMPLOYER is making that requirement right? So it's not "nobody" like you just said.
Figurative language is not perfect.

[you know what I meant]

Old 02-20-2013, 12:13 PM

1,596 posts, read 1,166,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
"blackies"? really?

Why not darkie, or better yet n***r.
That's basically how the president put it.

I think it WAS Clinton.

Old 02-20-2013, 12:15 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,340,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
That is the problem this thread is addressing. IT recruiters are asking for too much. The recruiters are trying to get someone in IT that knows everything and only wants a low end pay scale. It's impossible to find those people, if you do, you end up with a Jack of All Trades and a Master of None. I bet your brother's company would interview someone with 10 years of experience over a fresh college grad any day. If they were smart they would, since college doesn't teach you squat about real world IT.
Of course they would interview someone with experience, but you won't get the experience without the degree. You made the claim that a degree isn't needed in IT and that isn't true for any company my brother worked for. Russia, Ukraine, and India have work going to their engineers and if Americans want the work they have to compete. If Americans want to go work in another country they will need that degree as well.

Old 02-20-2013, 12:23 PM

2,252 posts, read 1,462,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/20/bu...nies.html?_r=0

Great article from the New York Times. Even a $10/hour job as a document runner for this law firm requires a college degree now. All of this thanks to degree inflation, or shall I call it degree water down. All because liberals think everyone has the right to go to college. If one tries to even insinuate that maybe college might not be right for everyone. they throw a hissy fit.
Don't blame liberals, blame the economy collapsing and with many professionals with higher degress out of work now it is a employers market and not only can they make ridiculous demands there are enough desperate people out there willing to take it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
You want to keep people stupid, don't you?
he's lonely

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
No I want people to pursue their dreams and get the education and training that's relevant to them.

18-year old: I want to be an electrician

Liberal: Well you can't do that, you need a college degree to be successful.

18-year old: But I really just want to go to a trade-school and be an electrician

Liberal: Here, I can give you student loans that you most likely can't pay back at credit card level interest rates. If you don't go to college you can't succeed.

18-year old: Well, what should I major in?

Liberal: How about sociology or gender studies, then you can become an electrician and pay the government back when you're done with your 4 year degree.
If you want to work in the trades than talk to tradesmen/women and ask how they got in the field. Also while we are talking about the trade the unions would be a good way to get in also, only the unions are demonized by so many on the right you would never think highly about them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vejadu View Post
It's interesting that universities are never held accountable for their expensive and rising tuition costs, the way other industries are vilified. Why should a higher education cost tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars that the student (if they graduate and even manage to find a job in their field) spends decades paying off?

Shouldn't education be affordable for the average person without relying on scholarships, government grants and loans? Why do these bastions of Liberalism look like monuments to greed and unrestrained Capitalism?
Colleges are getting more expensive because of funding being cut from them by city and state and even federal budgets continually decrease the amount of money that gets given to them to help supplement there costs. Also the teachers are not the one's getting fat from the good money it's the administrators.

Old 02-20-2013, 12:25 PM

63,917 posts, read 47,156,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
You can thank the greedy right wingers for shipping all the honest, good paying jobs to communist China just so they can line their pockets more.
I tend to agree with you on most topics. However, this is not one of them.

Ah the good old days...1950's where the U.S. produced most of the stuff it consumed and manufactured to rebuild Europe. The U.S. was the only game in the gloabal market. There were acute labor shortages which allowed unions to bargain for a living wage and benefits. It was swell while it lasted.

Global competition begining as early as the mid 60's for some industries like steel, forced U.S. manufacturers to either compete of fold. Many corporations chose survival and that meant outsourcing to the lowest cost producers. Who in the global marketplace is going to pay a premium and union tax on goods that could be acquired elsewhere for substantially less?

U.S. consumers have been the beneficiary of outsourcing given the cost of things like clothing, furniture and electronics are substantially less than was paid in the good old days. Does anyone use a shoemaker to repair and extend the life of their shoes, anymore? Who darns socks? How about replacing the coller and cuffs on a shirt to get another ten years of wear?

The global market is beyond silly U.S. partisan politics.

Old 02-20-2013, 12:30 PM

8,275 posts, read 12,934,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Is there anything in the article that demonstrates that liberals are the ones who demand that all jobs must have a college education as a qualification?

Ummm that would be a NO.

it is a typical blame the left thread on all your woes. I think the left wants college as a possibility to those that want it., not everyone, as many people are better suited to make burgers, haul trash, or clean buildings. (all of which are essential in our life)

You have to ask why someone would spend 4 or more years getting an education that will provide a job that earns less than 30k. I know many trades that require less time and can earn 4 times that. While you might not want you babies to grow up to be cowboys, they will provide well as a plumber.

Old 02-20-2013, 12:35 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,230,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statutory Ape View Post
That's basically how the president put it.

I think it WAS Clinton.

If it was, provide the link. Otherwise, I'll attribute the "quote" to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies