Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2013, 06:11 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,690,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geologic View Post
I think that this should be turned upside down, and the interests of Cars and Car-owners should come last, after pedestrians, cyclists, and mass transit commuters.
The free market plays a major role in this. If you try to "force" people into congested neighborhoods, they will move to other areas. Most people want some space to themselves.

Old 02-01-2013, 06:15 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,377,088 times
Quote:
This sort of reaction does not surprise me - which is why I call the Car-addicted "ignorant cusses"

You are shooting yourself in the foot...
Or rather: You are draining your own pocket book. How smart is that?
Add up all the money that you have wasted on your car, the gasoline, the insurance....
And you could buy a very nice home.

Some, like me, who have lived for decades without owning a car, and lived in countries which are not pissing away their patrimony on driving, are much better off as a result.

If cars do not drive you crazy, they will drive you (and the country!) to the poorhouse.
What completely ignorant attitude, typical example of liberal intolerance. Why don't you stay in those other countries you enjoyed so much? Good for you living in some overcrowded cesspool without a car, how noble of you. I'd rather you stay there and keep your nose out of my neighborhood.

I have a nice nice home on 5 acres no near neighbors, sorry you're too poor to afford it. Now it's time to go take my big block pickup truck for a drive, just for the hell of it and enjoy the sunset.

Old 02-01-2013, 06:16 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,924,091 times
Quote:
You think?
It seems to me that you are not really paying much attention to the actual discussion going on here.
I am not really just making ad hominen attacks, or speaking some-one else's soundbites.

If you read carefully, you might find that many of us here on this thread, are actually supporting our arguments with facts and figures.

Why not try a little harder.
Ooooh, I feel so pwned.

I have my own thoughts and supporting facts about cars in the US, however I refuse to waste them on some clown from another country who is calling me an ignorant cuss, insulting my country, denigrating one of my favorite hobbies, and spewing crap on this website all because he personally feels threatened by America's love of auto transportation.

America has numerous areas already developed that are outside the metro areas served by sidewalks and mass transportation. If I could make a decent salary withing 10 miles from my home, I might consider not driving to work. However, our country is not like that and there's really no reason that we need to be.

Basically I think that since you left America already because it wasn't good enough, you really aren't needed back here to save us from our car-loving selves.

Old 02-01-2013, 06:20 PM

1,596 posts, read 1,159,942 times
The thing about cars, is that driving one actuates a region of the brain that causes individualism.

Commies HATE this!

Old 02-01-2013, 06:22 PM

1,329 posts, read 1,106,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1306 View Post
You haven't given one fact or figure to support your argument
You better go back and read again my friend,
and check many links that I have provided

Old 02-01-2013, 06:22 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,986,986 times
I haven't read all the posts, and don't plan to, but the OP is very obviously NOT an Amateur Radio Operator or a CB hobbyist! The type of "neighborhoods" he is touting usually will not allow any type of external antenna (not even a television antenna!)
There are many of us who do NOT want to live in such a place.
Then there is the much desired "public transportation" issue. In many places, even though such transportation exists, it is often pretty much useless, because the bus schedule does not match the work schedule. We had just that scenario when we lived in town: In order to ride the bus, wife would have had to leave for work nearly an hour early, and would have half an hour or more to wait once she got to work. Then she would have had to wait nearly 45 minutes after work to catch the bus home. If she was late getting off the floor, the next bus was an hour away. Such public transportation was completely unusable!
Now that we live out of town, there IS no public transportation other than very expensive taxis.
Sorry, OP, but your idea is a one-size-fits-all utopian pipe dream that would actually be viable for a very limited number of people!

Old 02-01-2013, 06:25 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,660,904 times
Quote:
You speak from an American perspective.
Say that overseas, and people will laugh at you, and your Americanised/car-addicted way of thinking.

There is more than my own living choices at stake here. The current transportation situation in the US is poor, overall is getting worse, and endangering the long term wealth of the country. It makes me angry to see the USA p/ssing away its wealth. And I think this issue needs to be raised to a higher level - that's mainly what this thread is about.

I ran smack into this problem when I began to contemplate living in the USA.
You stay in Hong Kong, I would rather stay in the U.S. with a population density that is .0053 as that of Hong Kong. You can keep your air pollution also, which is much worse than where I am.

Old 02-01-2013, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
What completely ignorant attitude, typical example of liberal intolerance. Why don't you stay in those other countries you enjoyed so much? Good for you living in some overcrowded cesspool without a car, how noble of you. I'd rather you stay there and keep your nose out of my neighborhood.

I have a nice nice home on 5 acres no near neighbors, sorry you're too poor to afford it. Now it's time to go take my big block pickup truck for a drive, just for the hell of it and enjoy the sunset.
Who said that it was "noble"?
I am mainly talking economics here.
Car owners lose wealth thanks to their (bad) habit of driving everywhere, and so does the country in the long term, with all the knock-on effects that I have listed - see also the "Americans have Huge Holes in their pockets" article from Financial Sense.

How poor does you country have to get before you wake up?

Old 02-01-2013, 06:28 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,660,904 times
Quote:
You better go back and read again my friend,
and check many links that I have provided
You provided 1 opinion piece in 2 separate links, not facts.

Old 02-01-2013, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1306 View Post
You stay in Hong Kong, I would rather stay in the U.S. with a population density that is .0053 as that of Hong Kong. You can keep your air pollution also, which is much worse than where I am.
The air pollution in Hong Kong is not so bad as in Beijing.
What air pollution that exists here, comes from China and is a knock on effect of manufacturing. And mostly they are manufacturing things that they export to the US and Europe.

So what has really happened is the US imports goods rather than manufacturing themselves, so foreign countries like China wind up with higher pollution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.