Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 04:16 PM

1,350 posts, read 2,300,978 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
Some people don't wanna live like ants.

You dont have to (and I'm not agreeing with OP even tho I dislike having to own a car)

Look at the housing in older cities (old streetcar suburbs) that have yards but are built on the city streets with sidewalks (houses have yards front and back) like the old Italianate and Victorian houses (1-2 story)

Old 02-01-2013, 04:17 PM

1,169 posts, read 1,519,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
Post of the year !

I totally agree.
Car culture is our version of the Taliban.
Don't compare me to a terrorist because your broke ass could barely afford a studio apartment. ****ing Nazi.

Old 02-01-2013, 04:18 PM

19,649 posts, read 12,235,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geologic View Post
This sort of reaction does not surprise me - which is why I call the Car-addicted "ignorant cusses"

You are shooting yourself in the foot...
Or rather: You are draining your own pocket book. How smart is that?
Add up all the money that you have wasted on your car, the gasoline, the insurance....
And you could buy a very nice home.

Some, like me, who have lived for decades without owning a car, and lived in countries which are not pissing away their patrimony on driving, are much better off as a result.

If cars do not drive you crazy, they will drive you (and the country!) to the poorhouse.
Yes I have also lived for decades without owning a car. I always have at least two. It's smart when your cars are fun to drive and increase in value.

Old 02-01-2013, 04:20 PM

1,596 posts, read 1,159,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
Post of the year !

I totally agree.
Car culture is our version of the Taliban.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8APl40BE3tc

Old 02-01-2013, 04:22 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,896,568 times
This boob suggests ya stay right where ya at. We got enough loons in this country already.

It is amazing how people think public transit is an answer for all cities. It takes an amazing lack of knowledge of geography and population density.

Old 02-01-2013, 04:23 PM

7,975 posts, read 7,354,876 times
Here in Amish country, the Dutchies don't like cars either. Is a horse and buggy eco friendly enough?

If I have to see neighbors, then I'm living too close to them.

Old 02-01-2013, 04:24 PM

1,329 posts, read 1,104,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
Some people don't wanna live like ants.
Have you ever lived in a City with a good transport system?

I was born in Detroit - a city where you need a car, and would never go back to that kind of living.

Since then, I have lived in:
Boston, New York, Chicago, London, Hong Kong

Do you think a car-addicted city like Detroit (or even Charlotte?) can be compared to any of those great cities?

The "ants" you talk about enjoy a better quality of life, that those who pour their lives and their wealth into their cars.

Old 02-01-2013, 04:26 PM

1,169 posts, read 1,519,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geologic View Post
There are so many ways that a city (and its residents) win from getting rid of cars...

+ Lower taxes (since the infrastructure does not need to be stretched across such a large landscape)
Shipping and freight.

Quote:
+ Less pollution
Creating more city infrastructure/housing will create more.

Quote:
+ More wealth stays in the community (instead of being drained away to pay for "imported" oil)
Drill in the US. Or Stop government from intruding in and stopping hydrogen fuel-based vehicles. Also, increased city housing will increase plastc production (oil).

Quote:
+ Less need to maintain a military presence in foreign oil producing countries
More central banks are built than oil refineries, ignorant ****. Should we talk about lithium stolen from Libya and bought up by industrial companies?

Quote:
+ People get to know their neighbors
Small or suburban towns carry this quality more than cities.

Quote:
+ As stated before, people save perhaps $8-10,000 per annum by ditching their cars
Again, hydrogen. Increased taxes for infrastructure.

Old 02-01-2013, 04:27 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,676,249 times
Owning and driving cars has nothing to do with it. At least not in my case. I don't enjoy cars, am happy to drive one without all the bells and whistles. My vehicle is not part of my identity. Not by a long shot. But cars and driving give me a lifestyle city slickers can only imagine. I dare say anyone would love to own a country home with peace and quiet.

Only poor people live on top of each other, trapped in the city.

The only good thing about living like the OP suggests is it would rid the country of Detroit, per se, and thousands of union idiots.

Old 02-01-2013, 04:30 PM

1,329 posts, read 1,104,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
This boob suggests ya stay right where ya at. We got enough loons in this country already.

It is amazing how people think public transit is an answer for all cities. It takes an amazing lack of knowledge of geography and population density.
Certainly, we can agree that there are enough loons in the US.
Their lunacy is fed by things like all those car advertisements, brain-washing people.

Americans are probably the most thoroughly brainwashed people in the world- I am sorry to tell you.

The elites pick your pockets, and leave you happy about it. You send your children off to war, and they get killed, and instead of asking why - and understanding the big picture - you salute the flags they run up, and call yourselves patriots.

A true patriot is one that wants to free his countrymen from debt-slavery and addictions. A pity that there are not more who can see the connections clearly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies