Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 05:34 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,139,639 times

Advertisements

This thread kinda reminds me of this...

Santa Cruz City Council Testimony 5/13/08 - YouTube

Old 02-01-2013, 05:34 PM

1,169 posts, read 1,521,140 times
OP's nightmare:

Old 02-01-2013, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geologic View Post
Not at all.
You are trying to stuff words into my mouth.
I don't think Big cities are the answer for everyone - not at all - as I have stated above.

But I think American needs more living options which do not require extreme car dependency.
Is this really controversial? I should think that Everyone would agree to such an obvious and crying need !
Of course "American" needs more living options. But removing peoples options, as you've been suggesting, isn't at all the answer. Personally, I'd take NYC over some small area in Utah any day and prefer walking and not owning a car. But there is absolutely no problem with people who own and enjoy or need vehicles.

Old 02-01-2013, 05:38 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,665,389 times
Quote:
How could you possibly know that - unless you had lived in all of those cities for sometime?
You may THINK you have a "better quality of life", just because you love the food you are getting fed in your own gold fish bowl. It is called: cultural myopia
No, it's called living in NYC for 25 years and knowing better.

Old 02-01-2013, 05:39 PM

1,329 posts, read 1,106,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1306 View Post
I lived in one mentioned, I had many friends get murdered, I myself was shot and stabbed, many friends died of drug overdoses and my commute took 3 times as long as i currently have. It also cost mush more to live there, my rent on a studio apartment was $600 25 years ago, you could buy a 3 bedroom house here for a lower monthly payment.
Which city was that?
Hong Kong and London may easily be safer than where you live now.
If New York City, WHEN was that? It is much safer now than it used to be.

Sure, it is more expensive to live in a Big City - they have more to offer, and especially better paying jobs.

As I am now at/near retirement age (with a very active mind), I prefer to live somewhere cheaper than the tiny $1 Million+ flat I live in Hong Kong. I can sell it, and buy two nice townhouse: Live in one, Rent one out (for an income), and still leave some money in the bank. But I do not want to p/ss it away on a car dependency.

I am looking for a nice safe Walkable environment, where I do not need to own a car.

I had a good look at Greenville SC about a year ago, and liked it. But my partner (she's from HK), wants more access to a bigger city. I just want to find a place to get that without needing to own a car.

Suggestions are welcome, if anyone reading hear has found something.

Old 02-01-2013, 05:41 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,665,389 times
Quote:
Not at all.
You are trying to stuff words into my mouth.
I don't think Big cities are the answer for everyone - not at all - as I have stated above.

But I think American needs more living options which do not require extreme car dependency.
Is this really controversial? I should think that Everyone would agree to such an obvious and crying need !
You seem to miss the fact that Americans have the most diverse choice of living situations in the world. They span the gamut. You seem to want to take away choices.

Old 02-01-2013, 05:41 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,139,639 times
Quote:
Anywhere east of the Prime Meridian would be good. Thanks.

Old 02-01-2013, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Which city was that?
Hong Kong and London may easily be safer than where you live now.
If New York City, WHEN was that? It is much safer now than it used to be.

Sure, it is more expensive to live in a Big City - they have more to offer, and especially better paying jobs.

As I am now at/near retirement age (with a very active mind), I prefer to live somewhere cheaper than the tiny $1 Million+ flat I live in Hong Kong. I can sell it, and buy two nice townhouse: Live in one, Rent one out (for an income), and still leave some money in the bank. But I do not want to p/ss it away on a car dependency.

I am looking for a nice safe Walkable environment, where I do not need to own a car.

I had a good look at Greenville SC about a year ago, and liked it. But my partner (she's from HK), wants more access to a bigger city. I just want to find a place to get that without needing to own a car.

Portland maybe. Philly or NYC are really the only good options on the east coast. Check Rock Hill SC, it's what's known as a 'smart city'. Don't expect good public transport though. Expect high energy costs.

Old 02-01-2013, 05:44 PM

1,329 posts, read 1,106,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1306 View Post
No, it's called living in NYC for 25 years and knowing better.
Different strokes...

I actually prefer both Hong Kong and London to NYC.
I might like Singapore too.
But meantime, I see opportunities in the US, if I can find the right walkable environment

I have discovered some great resources like this one : xx

Old 02-01-2013, 05:44 PM

33,586 posts, read 18,199,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
You know what sucks? Hippies.
Hippies is just a word that means anti-American commies on drugs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.