Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 10:19 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,635,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geologic View Post
I don't know where you get that.
We bought a 2BR flat here about a week ago, and it is rented out at HKD 8,000 = USD 1,000.
It is smaller than 500 sf, but it has a great location. From the door to standing in central might
require just 20-25 minutes using the nearby MTR station.

I will keep this as a back-up when I sell my more expensive flat... hopefully within the next 2-3 weeks.
2 BR and smaller than 500 sq ft? So your whole 2 BR apartment could fit in my master bedroom, sounds so cozy.

And I just did a search for other Hong Kong rentals and found another site. A 302 sq ft for over $1700 a month was the cheapest.
302 sq ft is ridiculously small but if that is what you like then good for you, I would rather have 3000 sq ft on 3.6 acres for less than that.

Everything I need is within 25 minutes of me.

Old 02-02-2013, 05:22 PM

1,329 posts, read 1,103,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
There is a reason why people have cars in America. Perhaps it slipped your twisted agenda 21 mind.
US-3.79 million square miles
Hong Kong-421 square miles
Calling me names?
What exactly is you point here? You have not articulated it well.
Do you reckon that having such a large space gives you the right to consume more resources per capita than other countries with less space?

That may have worked in the past. But that attitude and way of living is making America poorer, and less powerful. Are you incapable of seeing that?

Old 02-02-2013, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
Germany is an economy that is thriving even in what has been a horrific financial climate for most countries...

Our "system" is in its infancy relative to the rest of the world. The ideology that gratuitous, selfish, unnecessary hyper-consumption with no regard for anything else is clearly a huge failure. What is going to happen when the USA and their god and overseer-- worlds most evil superpower-- china, demands our resources for their people or calls in their loans because we have angered them?
I am constantly amazed that Amerabillies focus on stuff like gun rights or abortion when we are about to be consumed by the monster we created.
Thank you.
Some sense at last !
The boobs have a big lesson coming. And when they are crying, the rest of the world will just shrug and say: "Gosh. It was time that they woke up !"

Old 02-02-2013, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
The US is not in a mess economically because folks are buying cars which was the premise of your post. You and your agenda 21 nonsense can stay out of the US that makes us much better off that's for sure.
???
Why do you think the US is in a mess?

I cited four Big Cash drains:

+ A suburban, car-addicted living arrangement, requiring massive imports of oil
+ Trillions wastes on foreign wars, and overseas military bases
+ An inefficient and expensive healthcare system designed to benefit big pharms, insurance co's & doctors
+ A predatory financial system, than drains capital in each of its periodic failures

Have I missed anything?

Worst of all, the public is so ill-educated, that they cannot see the obvious, and they go on support politicians who are buying their votes.

When someone like Ron Paul comes along with a fresh point of view, most of the boobs go on voting in a traditional way, when it is completely obvious that both major political parties are bought and paid for by corporate interests.

People are slowly waking up, but it is a slow process.

Old 02-02-2013, 05:37 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,178,048 times
Quote:
Thank you.
Some sense at last !
The boobs have a big lesson coming. And when they are crying, the rest of the world will just shrug and say: "Gosh. It was time that they woke up !"
Germany has a huge car culture. Real houses. Yards.

Old 02-02-2013, 05:41 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,854,315 times
Quote:
???
Why do you think the US is in a mess?

I cited four Big Cash drains:

+ A suburban, car-addicted living arrangement, requiring massive imports of oil
+ Trillions wastes on foreign wars, and overseas military bases
+ An inefficient and expensive healthcare system designed to benefit big pharms, insurance co's & doctors
+ A predatory financial system, than drains capital in each of its periodic failures

Have I missed anything?

Worst of all, the public is so ill-educated, that they cannot see the obvious, and they go on support politicians who are buying their votes.

When someone like Ron Paul comes along with a fresh point of view, most of the boobs go on voting in a traditional way, when it is completely obvious that both major political parties are bought and paid for by corporate interests.

People are slowly waking up, but it is a slow process.
... oh, christ. Ron Paul is a free market ***** who's all about deregulation, he'd be the best thing that could possibly happen for major corporations and their lobbies in the US and would do nothing to reign in our astronomically expensive and broken healthcare system, or public transit. Yeesh.

Old 02-02-2013, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Germany has a huge car culture. Real houses. Yards.
Germany experiments - seeking a viable future

VAUBAN, Germany — Residents of this upscale community are suburban pioneers, going where few soccer moms or commuting executives have ever gone before: they have given up their cars.

Street parking, driveways and home garages are generally forbidden in this experimental new district on the outskirts of Freiburg, near the French and Swiss borders. Vauban’s streets are completely “car-free” — except the main thoroughfare, where the tram to downtown Freiburg runs, and a few streets on one edge of the community. Car ownership is allowed, but there are only two places to park — large garages at the edge of the development, where a car-owner buys a space, for $40,000, along with a home.
===
+ continues: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/12/sc...ted=all&_r=0#h

Old 02-02-2013, 06:10 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,178,048 times
Quote:
Germany experiments - seeking a viable future

VAUBAN, Germany — Residents of this upscale community are suburban pioneers, going where few soccer moms or commuting executives have ever gone before: they have given up their cars.

Street parking, driveways and home garages are generally forbidden in this experimental new district on the outskirts of Freiburg, near the French and Swiss borders. Vauban’s streets are completely “car-free” — except the main thoroughfare, where the tram to downtown Freiburg runs, and a few streets on one edge of the community. Car ownership is allowed, but there are only two places to park — large garages at the edge of the development, where a car-owner buys a space, for $40,000, along with a home.
===
+ continues: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/12/sc...ted=all&_r=0#h
Many in NY have gave up cars decades ago. Giving up cars now isn't exactly being a pioneer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies