Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2013, 05:45 PM

1,329 posts, read 1,108,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesGTAIV View Post
Portland maybe. Philly or NYC are really the only good options on the east coast. Check Rock Hill SC, it's what's known as a 'smart city'. Don't expect good public transport though. Expect high energy costs.
haha!
Good one.
I have actually been studying Rock Hill (Riverwalk might be idea... someday).
And also looking at Fort Mill (Baxter Village), and Davidson.

Old 02-01-2013, 05:46 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,678,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geologic View Post
Which city was that?
Hong Kong and London may easily be safer than where you live now.
If New York City, WHEN was that? It is much safer now than it used to be.

Sure, it is more expensive to live in a Big City - they have more to offer, and especially better paying jobs.

As I am now at/near retirement age (with a very active mind), I prefer to live somewhere cheaper than the tiny $1 Million+ flat I live in Hong Kong. I can sell it, and buy two nice townhouse: Live in one, Rent one out (for an income), and still leave some money in the bank. But I do not want to p/ss it away on a car dependency.

I am looking for a nice safe Walkable environment, where I do not need to own a car.

I had a good look at Greenville SC about a year ago, and liked it. But my partner (she's from HK), wants more access to a bigger city. I just want to find a place to get that without needing to own a car.

Suggestions are welcome, if anyone reading hear has found something.
Why didn't you just say what you were looking for rather than trying to tell people how to live? It could have produced an actual answer rather than you trying to tell people how they should live.
You say you live in a tiny place that cost $1mil, I would rather spend a 1/4 of that and have my space and also be able to walk down the road right into a 30,000 acre preserve.

Old 02-01-2013, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Hippies is just a word that means anti-American commies on drugs.
Could you guys possibly be time travelers?
Or are you maybe living in a timewarp?
I haven't seen people post like that in some years

Old 02-01-2013, 05:47 PM
NCN

21,664 posts, read 25,673,439 times
One of my favorite things to do is go to the Blue Ridge Parkway and drive with my car windows open and the wind blowing my hair and classical music playing on the radio. Please tell me how I am going to do that with public transportation when no commercial vehicles are allowed on the scenic?

I will keep my cars, than you.

Old 02-01-2013, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1306 View Post
Why didn't you just say what you were looking for rather than trying to tell people how to live? It could have produced an actual answer rather than you trying to tell people how they should live.
You say you live in a tiny place that cost $1mil, I would rather spend a 1/4 of that and have my space and also be able to walk down the road right into a 30,000 acre preserve.
I was merely stating (what for me is obvious) :
Being dependent on a cars is like an expensive addiction,
and it truly puzzles me that many people want to live that way.

Now if I had started a thread with a headline like that (in bold), would anyone have bothered to read this thread?

Now we have seen some lively discussion here, so I do not regret the provocative title.

Old 02-01-2013, 05:51 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,940,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
This thread kinda reminds me of this...

Santa Cruz City Council Testimony 5/13/08 - YouTube
You nailed it! I love when people like this come out of their special little place in the world to educate us on our misgivings. As I read this thread I saw myself reacting like the guy sitting behind the lady with the kid.

Old 02-01-2013, 05:51 PM

38,133 posts, read 22,253,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geologic View Post
Cars svck, and car owners have an expensive addiction.
(The headline was an intentionally provocative statement.)

It is time to demand better:
Walkable neighborhoods, and decent public transport

A smart new political agenda would be : CARS ARE LAST !

Get them out of your streets, and out of your lives.
Save $8,000 - 10,000 per annum by not owning a car,
and invest that money in a decent property in a Walkable neighborhood.
Design neighborhoods with denser living, where cars are not needed.
Start building capital, and rebuilding the country. It is about time !

DISCUSS !
Might be great in New York City, but not out in god's country where i live, I already have a walkable neighborhood anyway, besides, the sidewalks and streets in the city are snow and ice hazards right now

Old 02-01-2013, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
One of my favorite things to do is go to the Blue Ridge Parkway and drive with my car windows open and the wind blowing my hair and classical music playing on the radio. Please tell me how I am going to do that with public transportation when no commercial vehicles are allowed on the scenic?

I will keep my cars, than you.
Sure - that can be fun.
But do you think about all the knock-on costs of your happy motoring experience?
Addictions usually come with some sort of hook, or not so many people would fall into it.

Old 02-01-2013, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Might be great in New York City, but not out in god's country where i live, I already have a walkable neighborhood anyway, besides, the sidewalks and streets in the city are snow and ice hazards right now
Okay.
Some what god-forsaken part of "God's country" do you live in?
And can you get by without a vehicle?
If not, do you truly think the cost is worth it?

Old 02-01-2013, 05:54 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,716,076 times
I'd like to see more 1920s-style neighborhoods, when there was space for cars, but streets were still friendly to bicycles and pedestrians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.