Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2013, 05:54 PM

37,982 posts, read 22,163,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
This thread kinda reminds me of this...

Santa Cruz City Council Testimony 5/13/08 - YouTube
Wow, this is painful to watch. Bet I know who she... like...really.... you know.... voted for and stuff...

Old 02-01-2013, 05:56 PM

1,329 posts, read 1,104,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
You nailed it! I love when people like this come out of their special little place in the world to educate us on our misgivings. As I read this thread I saw myself reacting like the guy sitting behind the lady with the kid.
You think?
It seems to me that you are not really paying much attention to the actual discussion going on here.
I am not really just making ad hominen attacks, or speaking some-one else's soundbites.

If you read carefully, you might find that many of us here on this thread, are actually supporting our arguments with facts and figures.

Why not try a little harder.

Old 02-01-2013, 05:58 PM

37,982 posts, read 22,163,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I'd like to see more 1920s-style neighborhoods, when there was space for cars, but streets were still friendly to bicycles and pedestrians.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkqz3lpUBp0

Old 02-01-2013, 06:03 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,651,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geologic View Post
I was merely stating (what for me is obvious) :
Being dependent on a cars is like an expensive addiction,
and it truly puzzles me that many people want to live that way.

Now if I had started a thread with a headline like that (in bold), would anyone have bothered to read this thread?

Now we have seen some lively discussion here, so I do not regret the provocative title.
Your opinion differs from a great many people. Having a car is not an addiction, I don't get up in the morning on Sunday and think, oh I need to go drive, instead I sit outside by the pool and have my coffee and enjoy the quiet. No neighbors to disturb me, no buses, ambulances, cop cars, nothing.

There are hundreds or thousands of threads on this site that people start looking for a place to live and they get answers, you came in with your own jack sh%t opinion telling people how they should live and got nowhere in finding out the answer to the question you wanted answered.

Old 02-01-2013, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I'd like to see more 1920s-style neighborhoods, when there was space for cars, but streets were still friendly to bicycles and pedestrians.
Unfortunately, if everyone owns cars, then there is a huge constituency for keeping cars happy, and everyone else: cyclists, pedestrians / tends to get pushed aside, and the cars get their parking, taking the very best public space.

I think that this should be turned upside down, and the interests of Cars and Car-owners should come last, after pedestrians, cyclists, and mass transit commuters. Parking should be pushed aside, so the car owners need to walk a bit further, without ruining the access to the shop, the train station, or whatever attracts them there.

When you do that, and do it with intelligence, you tend to create very livable and walkable communities.

Here's a podcast that makes this argument far better than I can.

STRONG TOWNS PODCAST : TRANSIT
(Ian Rasmussen joins Chuck Marohn to talk about transit systems and how they should be viewed as the Suburban Experiment continues to wind down)

MP3 : http://www.strongtowns.org/storage/p...13_Transit.mp3

ST website: http://www.strongtowns.org/strong-towns-podcast/

Last edited by Geologic; 02-01-2013 at 06:20 PM..

Old 02-01-2013, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1306 View Post
Your opinion differs from a great many people. Having a car is not an addiction, I don't get up in the morning on Sunday and think, oh I need to go drive, instead I sit outside by the pool and have my coffee and enjoy the quiet. No neighbors to disturb me, no buses, ambulances, cop cars, nothing.

There are hundreds or thousands of threads on this site that people start looking for a place to live and they get answers, you came in with your own jack sh%t opinion telling people how they should live and got nowhere in finding out the answer to the question you wanted answered.
You speak from an American perspective.
Say that overseas, and people will laugh at you, and your Americanised/car-addicted way of thinking.

There is more than my own living choices at stake here. The current transportation situation in the US is poor, overall is getting worse, and endangering the long term wealth of the country. It makes me angry to see the USA p/ssing away its wealth. And I think this issue needs to be raised to a higher level - that's mainly what this thread is about.

I ran smack into this problem when I began to contemplate living in the USA.

Last edited by Geologic; 02-01-2013 at 06:17 PM..

Old 02-01-2013, 06:07 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,792,731 times
Quote:
Different strokes...

I actually prefer both Hong Kong and London to NYC.
I might like Singapore too.
But meantime, I see opportunities in the US, if I can find the right walkable environment

I have discovered some great resources like this one : xx

Detroit would be perfect for you!

So... you only want to walk wherever you're going, yet will fly all over the planet?

Singapore on the weekends maybe? Reminds me of an Oingo Boingo tune that makes you feel so good, or bad; depending on which verse you prefer.

Old 02-01-2013, 06:10 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,792,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1306 View Post
you came in with your own jack sh%t opinion telling people how they should live and got nowhere in finding out the answer to the question you wanted answered.
You mean the answers he expected, rather than what he got. He's gone from asking questions to making assumptions and rude retorts. Perfectly normal in the C-D Political forum.

Old 02-01-2013, 06:10 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times
Quote:
There are so many ways that a city (and its residents) win from getting rid of cars...

+ Lower taxes (since the infrastructure does not need to be stretched across such a large landscape)
+ Less pollution
+ More wealth stays in the community (instead of being drained away to pay for "imported" oil)
+ Less need to maintain a military presence in foreign oil producing countries
+ People get to know their neighbors
+ As stated before, people save perhaps $8-10,000 per annum by ditching their cars

Every major city of the world has a strong mass transit system, and most of its people can live happily without cars. Charlotte is not there yet. Can it make it? And certainly the metro areas of CLT that spill over to SC are far behind

Those who say they "enjoy their cars" have not considered the many ways that "making car owners happy" destroys a community and its future. EXHIBIT A, is Detroit - called the Motor City. I was born there, saw what cars were doing, and got-the-hell-out as soon as I could. When I go back to visit family, I nearly weep for what it has become.

Video:
I can afford probably 5 cars in what I save in housing costs compared to what it costs in a big city.

Old 02-01-2013, 06:11 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,651,257 times
Quote:
You think?
It seems to me that you are not really paying much attention to the actual discussion going on here.
I am not really just making ad hominen attacks, or speaking some-one else's soundbites.

If you read carefully, you might find that many of us here on this thread, are actually supporting our arguments with facts and figures.

Why not try a little harder.
You haven't given one fact or figure to support your argument
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.