Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2012, 07:03 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,271,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamos View Post

I do think you are playing on semantics here - in the context, the two statements would amount to the same message to me: Stop.
I agree. If the dispatcher had just chosen a different, more specific set of words, such as: "Don't follow him," instead of the vague, "We don't need you to do that," some here wouldn't be able to use the excuse of, "Well, Zimmerman wasn't told NOT to follow him."

I think most people, at least the ones who aren't so willing to demonize some poor dead kid, can see what the dispatcher meant when he said, "We don't need you to do that."

Unfortunately, by using the words that he did, he has conveniently left the door open to certain people to interpret his words to suit their agenda.

I've often wondered if the dispatcher regrets how he worded his instructions to Zimmerman. I'm not sure whether or not Zimmerman would have disobeyed a more direct order, and consequently changed the course of that night, but at least many of his supporters wouldn't have been able to use it as an excuse for what happened.

The bottom line is that Zimmerman set this whole scenario into motion. If he hadn't been so eager to be some sort of "vigilante," and would have let the police do THEIR job, in all likelihood, Trayvon Martin would be alive today and we would have never heard of either of them and Trayvon's parents wouldn't be grieving and Zimmerman wouldn't be facing these charges.

Zimmerman, and Zimmerman alone, is responsible for the events of that night and he should face the consequences.

Last edited by Cinebar; 05-19-2012 at 08:30 PM..

Old 05-19-2012, 07:07 PM

102,252 posts, read 108,183,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
Why do we have 8 same topic threads on this.

Triplicate threads in last 2 hours.

Please.
Some people are obsessed, and enjoy flogging dead horses.

Old 05-19-2012, 07:08 PM

38,650 posts, read 26,430,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamos View Post
I have no doubt that the media is/was trying desperately to spin this story one way - and one way only.

Still, if Zimmerman had not left his car, none of this would have happened... He did, even after being advised by cops not to do so - and ultimately, he created this situation.

Zimmerman did not break the law by exiting his vehicle, nor did he do anything which made the assault by Martin legal or in any way justifiable.

The point to the "stand your ground" law is that law-abiding citizens don't have to make themselves scarce when a criminal shows up.

Old 05-19-2012, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post

This never should have been a national story. The only reason it became one is because it's an election year and the media's darling has done so much damage to an already ailing economy. Gotta get your attention away from the HORRIBLE job that the President has done, else you might reconsider voting for him! And just look how well it's worked...
So, it's all Obama's fault?

Old 05-19-2012, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
GZ should be given a medal for ridding the world of a piece of worthless garbage. He saved the taxpayers hundreds of thousands of dollars by not having to cage Trayvon for most of his life because that was his destiny.
Wow! This has got to be one of the most disgusting things I think I've ever read on a forum.

Old 05-19-2012, 07:13 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,921,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
Zimmerman, and Zimmerman alone, is responsible for the events of that night and he should face the consequences.
The only one who broke any laws that night was Martin. He suffered the consequences.

Old 05-19-2012, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
The only one who broke any laws that night was Martin. He suffered the consequences.
WHAT laws did Trayvon break that night? "Possession of Skittles?"

Seriously, please tell us the law or laws he broke. As far as I know, walking home from a convenience store is not illegal. There is NO - NO! - evidence that I am aware of that he was doing anything illegal that night.

I'll wait........

Old 05-19-2012, 07:29 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,921,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
WHAT laws did Trayvon break that night? "Possession of Skittles?"

Seriously, please tell us the law or laws he broke. As far as I know, walking home from a convenience store is not illegal. There is NO - NO! - evidence that I am aware of that he was doing anything illegal that night.

I'll wait........
Punching someone in the nose and banging their head against the ground are criminal acts.

Old 05-19-2012, 07:29 PM

8,091 posts, read 5,920,823 times
the skittles rhetoric again.......

Old 05-19-2012, 07:30 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,563,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Possession of iced tea and Skittles is now punishable by death?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies