Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2012, 05:39 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,962,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
I would venture to guess that an overwhelming majority of people
who keep a self defense hand gun have hollow points in them.
Me, I keep [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glaser_Safety_Slug"]Glasers[/URL] in mine.

You are probably correct, but I read they're more expensive. I will need to go back and read what led up to the discussion about the bullets that were in his gun.

What doesn't surprise me is that someone shot a teenager to death and suddenly the discussion turns into a defense about gun ownership and hollow point bullets. Obviously, if you plan to shoot someone, you want to kill that person and make sure he doesn't kill you. So my concern was never about the type of bullet Zimmerman had in his gun. However, this certainly has been a learning experience. I make one comment and it turns into pages of discussion about a bullet's nickname. People seem to be more concerned with defending their ammo (he specifically used a Hyrda-Shok, according to sources) than what actually happened that night. I just know Trayvon Martin was shot and died. If George Zimmerman used a grenade or a pellet gun it wouldn't matter to me.

Old 04-30-2012, 05:43 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,417,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
It's interesting how you discredit the reliability of eyewitness testimony of 911 callers who saw sizes and colors, but a state eyewitness of shadows could be an important part of the whole case.
I don't remember discrediting specifically eyewitness testimony of any one person.....I have pointed out that (and provided links) studies of eye witness testimony show that they are infamously unreliable. My post about the shadows was to say that a witness who saw shadows would not necessarily be eliminated because they saw "shadows" rather than something else. I have no doubt that eye witnesses will be used in this trial, including the witness to the shadows if the state thinks that is important. And, yes, the "shadows" eye witness could be as unreliable as any other eye witness.

Old 04-30-2012, 05:47 PM

52,700 posts, read 34,636,021 times
Quote:
I certainly do.

What- you dont trust a writer from the Atlantic to be an authority on handgun rounds?

Old 04-30-2012, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
You are probably correct, but I read they're more expensive. I will need to go back and read what led up to the discussion about the bullets that were in his gun.

What doesn't surprise me is that someone shot a teenager to death and suddenly the discussion turns into a defense about gun ownership and hollow point bullets. Obviously, if you plan to shoot someone, you want to kill that person and make sure he doesn't kill you. So my concern was never about the type of bullet Zimmerman had in his gun. However, this certainly has been a learning experience. I make one comment and it turns into pages of discussion about a bullet's nickname. People seem to be more concerned with defending their ammo (he specifically used a Hyrda-Shok, according to sources) than what actually happened that night. I just know Trayvon Martin was shot and died. If George Zimmerman used a grenade or a pellet gun it wouldn't matter to me.
Well, there is the possibility that a regular bullet could have gone through Trayvon without killing him. Not a chance of that with the HP bullet. It was overkill. I could be wrong, yet I think it may be possible that that level of overkill may go to Zimmerman's state of mind, which is an element of the 2nd degree murder charge.

Old 04-30-2012, 05:52 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,962,343 times
I need to eat dinner and get off of this computer, but I am reading the new reports about how Zimmerman bought a gun because of a menacing dog in the community. Oh, brother!

This is a gated community with an HOA. I'd love to find out if this dog ever attacked or bit anyone. Go back and read my posts from 2009 where I was crying and losing my mind because my neighbors got 3 pits that were keeping me up all night. I never shot them! I used to bring them dog treats and warm them up on cold nights. Unfortunately, they got another pit that wasn't as friendly, but I still didn't shoot her or buy a gun.

Why did he live in a place where they allowed dogs if he had such a fear of them? Why did he live in a community with a lot of Black people if he thought they were suspicious looking? Sorry, but this just doesn't make sense to me. Does he have kids? Is he getting free rent? If he owned the townhouse, I'd blame it on the economy and property values, but he doesn't.

Now I'm the one going off on a tangent, but when I just read about the pit bill, I did this. This guy sounds paranoid to me. Everything is out to get the poor guy.

Old 04-30-2012, 05:54 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,918,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
Well, there is the possibility that a regular bullet could have gone through Trayvon without killing him. Not a chance of that with the HP bullet. It was overkill. I could be wrong, yet I think it may be possible that that level of overkill may go to Zimmerman's state of mind, which is an element of the 2nd degree murder charge.
A little info:

Quote:
Handgun Ammunition for Home Defense
Handgun users can choose between hollow point and other expanding bullets, and non expanding full metal jacket bullets. Hollow point bullets are recommended because they are more likely to stop an attacker, and less likely to over penetrate and injure an innocent bystander.
Hollow point bullets have a hollow cavity in the nose of the bullet, which cause the nose to flatten or “mushroom” upon impact. This causes the bullet to be more effective, and also less able to overpenetrate and strike an innocent bystander.
Full metal jacket bullets, and other bullets that do not expand well (such as soft nose) or at all (such as wadcutters) are less effective than hollow point bullets. They are also more likely to overpenetrate their target and strike an innocent bystander.

The responsible thing to do is use hollow points.

Old 04-30-2012, 06:06 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,863,597 times
Quote:
Me, I keep Glasers in mine.
I can't imagine anyone going through all the trouble to legally carry a self defense weapon and then load it with WWB ammo. I'm a Hornady guy myself.

Old 04-30-2012, 06:08 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,863,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
Here you go with your Black community stuff.

The Black community wants justice.
There is nothing wrong with that. The bonkers statement is stupid to say the least. You can't read a statement and respond to it with out saying someone said something they didn't. How can you be an expert on the Black community.
No they don't, the black community wants revenge against George Zimmerman for the last 25 years of young black men shooting each other. This case has become a scape goat for everything wrong with the black community. If black people really wanted Justice they wouldn't be calling for riots or for GZ's murder before a trial ever takes place.

Old 04-30-2012, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
A little info:

The responsible thing to do is use hollow points.
Thanks. I'm not the state attorney though and I really don't know what they will do, whether they will try to use that or not. I'm just making suggestions.....I think it's wise to try to figure out what an opponent will do.

Old 04-30-2012, 06:22 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,918,093 times
The purpose of a self-defense weapon is to hurt the bad guy and not hurt anyone else. That is the same purpose for hollow points.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies