Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 10:46 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,207,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by temazepam View Post
Plenty of people who got into IT lost their jobs due to offshoring and are not all doing OK. Not sure about finance.
As someone who works in IT, I can safely say that many offshore jobs are coming back in that industry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
Have you ever considered that buying cheap merchandise at Target and Walmart may cost you your job, health insurance and your children's education savings? How does it sound now? Still a good deal?
Still a good deal to me. I am going to school at night and spend free time studying fields that are growing in the US. Either adapt with the times or be left behind. No one owes me anything, nor do I expect anyone to ever do me a favor. The only constant is that nothing is constant, and I will never stop learning and studying new fields so I can keep a good salary. Using this strategy I bought a house when I was 23 years old (completely on my own), got into one of the best business schools for a master's degree (completely on my own) and am making a very good salary (completely on my own). The future of America's economy is information based (not manufacturing based) so I spend my free time learning and training myself in information based jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2011, 10:53 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
I must confess to being an inadequate consumer. I do not buy very much junk at Target et al. I buy my cars when they are between 7 and 10 years old with around 100k miles. I generally do a private deal and pay less than 5 grand. Then I keep them until the repair cost would exceed the price of a replacement used car. I do the same with appliances. I kept repairing a 15 year old clothes dryer (condo rules forbid cloths lines outside) until it became a fire hazard. Then I bought a new one (made in USA) at a discount sale. Same for the washing machine. We just had the TV repaired for 250 bucks instead of spending $1200 for a replacement. I do not use credit for any of this.

Even with these frugalities we are still losing purchasing power to the monopoly fuel prices and everything that uses fuel. I consider this to be the great failure of our economic policies. These policies only benefit the owners of the wealth and resources, foreign and domestic, while eliminating the prosperity previously enjoyed by most of us. Politicians of both parties have participated in this robbery.

I am looking for a party more concerned with the economics of the US worker than the US owner. I do not see any in either party. They are all dependant on the good will of the private sector media and corporate donations. IMHO they are all over paid whores screwing us for their master's benefit. We do not need a small change we need a Populist Revolution.

Old 08-18-2011, 10:53 AM

6,205 posts, read 7,461,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
and if it wasnt for the forced globaliztion by the liberals maybe things would still be made here

and what are you calling cheap..the EXACT same stuff is at Macy's, and norstroms
Globalization was strongly advocated by people in the academy like Milton Friedman and others at the Chicago school of economics in the 70s. Conservatives as well as liberals bought the ideology and started implementing it first with Brzezinski and Carter and then it became a tsunami under Reagan. Needless to say that none of the ideologues and politicians understood the possible outcome. Real world is sometimes different then computer simulations.

Old 08-18-2011, 10:55 AM

888 posts, read 887,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
The future of America's economy is information based (not manufacturing based) so I spend my free time learning and training myself in information based jobs.
Actually, that is a narrow minded view...
It is most definitely information based, but to say it is not manufacturing based does not tell the whole story.
It can also be manufacturing based when we are able to develop competitive advantages that will be difficult to outsource as the industry develops. This is totally possible, and if you cannot see that advanced niche manufacturing is an area where we can add value, then I would question if you really know as much as you say you do.

Use some of your learning and learn about how Brazil and Colombia actually produce energy for internal consumption and import less % (relative to the US) - and they are not huge oil producing states. Both countries embrace the information economy, but they are at least attempting to take a holistic and balanced view of managing their economies and have been quite successful... or is learning from others not something you condone? You are one of those who is always right?

Old 08-18-2011, 10:58 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,452,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
How is moving manufacturing to cheaper parts of the world greedy?
Because cheaper labor costs mean reduced expenses, which leads to increased operating margins. That means that the company gets more incremenal dollars of profit than they would if they had kept their old work force. That means the CEO and his compatriots get bigger multi-million dollar bonuses. See where this is going?

Old 08-18-2011, 10:59 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
The western world has long been global econmics wise its just that they for centuries had a monoply thru ablity and the US had definite monoply after WWII thru like 1960.

Old 08-18-2011, 10:59 AM

888 posts, read 887,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I must confess to being an inadequate consumer. I do not buy very much junk at Target et al. I buy my cars when they are between 7 and 10 years old with around 100k miles. I generally do a private deal and pay less than 5 grand. Then I keep them until the repair cost would exceed the price of a replacement used car. I do the same with appliances. I kept repairing a 15 year old clothes dryer (condo rules forbid cloths lines outside) until it became a fire hazard. Then I bought a new one (made in USA) at a discount sale. Same for the washing machine. We just had the TV repaired for 250 bucks instead of spending $1200 for a replacement. I do not use credit for any of this.

Even with these frugalities we are still losing purchasing power to the monopoly fuel prices and everything that uses fuel. I consider this to be the great failure of our economic policies. These policies only benefit the owners of the wealth and resources, foreign and domestic, while eliminating the prosperity previously enjoyed by most of us. Politicians of both parties have participated in this robbery.

I am looking for a party more concerned with the economics of the US worker than the US owner. I do not see any in either party. They are all dependant on the good will of the private sector media and corporate donations. IMHO they are all over paid whores screwing us for their master's benefit. We do not need a small change we need a Populist Revolution.
You have 2 choices:
Bilderburg Clones & the NAM (which will give us some extra prosperity)
or
Ron Paul (which will allow you to take personal responsibiliuty)

With Bilderburg Clones, you will at least have an easier time buying a condo on the beach in Mexico, so if you like that idea, go for them...

Old 08-18-2011, 11:00 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
How is moving manufacturing to cheaper parts of the world greedy?

Greedy, or have the rules changed into their favor.

The rules and regulations we have here, can never ever compete on a global open market. We will be put out of business.

Oh wait, too late. We are out of business.

Old 08-18-2011, 11:01 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynwood View Post
You have 2 choices:
Bilderburg Clones & the NAM (which will give us some extra prosperity)
or
Ron Paul (which will allow you to take personal responsibiliuty)

With Bilderburg Clones, you will at least have an easier time buying a condo on the beach in Mexico, so if you like that idea, go for them...

Modern slavery and herding the cows.

Old 08-18-2011, 11:01 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,493,436 times
Your country basicly imposed tariffs on all it's imports to leverage the NAFTA agreements into existance. "You wanna sell to our 350 million consumers on a level playing field well drop your trade restrictions and we'll drop ours and with our production might we can out perform your smaller manufacturing base to stimulate your business re-locating to the U.S."

All of that worked fine for a "Minnesota Minute" until business's started to realize they could maximize dividends even more if they moved completely overseas.

You got snookered at your own game!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies