Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 06:44 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,900,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Because it reduces the company’s cost by sacrificing the social obligation any corporation has to the society that protects the investors from full liability for losses. This failure is driven by the owners and the financier’s greed for ever increasing profits instead of being satisfied by producing high quality products at reasonable prices using our own labor
How is striving for profits greedy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2011, 06:56 AM

15,446 posts, read 21,360,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njbest View Post
the greedy ones are those who promote cheaper manufacturing by shopping at walmart just to save $50 on a pair of jeans.
$50?

Old 08-18-2011, 07:03 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,150,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
$50?
I was estimating. I have no idea how much "made in china/malaysia/indonesia/etc" jeans really cost.

Old 08-18-2011, 07:25 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,799,372 times
I have shopped at all those stores except Wall-mart. I have bought foreign cars such as SAABS (I actually did pay nearly twice as much for this car than the nearest US made equivalent), VWs and Volvos. I currently own a Buick and a Subaru made in the US. I bought foreign cars in the 70's because they were better cars for the dollar. I now buy mostly US made because they are just as good as cars made anywhere else.

I would not complain about paying US costs for goods if my wage was increased enough make up the difference. Currently US wages have been suppressed by offshore labor, mechanical automation and excessive immigration legal and illegal. IMHO Americans could afford American made goods if their wages had not been suppressed. Even with their lowered wages US workers still buy US made cars as well a lot of other goods.

Old 08-18-2011, 07:32 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,704,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
It's a myth. There are plenty of jobs in America. Just not manufacturing jobs.
But how many produce a product. If they do not produce a product they do not increase the productivity of the nation

Old 08-18-2011, 07:34 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,208,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I have shopped at all those stores except Wall-mart. I have bought foreign cars such as SAABS (I actually did pay nearly twice as much for this car than the nearest US made equivalent), VWs and Volvos. I currently own a Buick and a Subaru made in the US. I bought foreign cars in the 70's because they were better cars for the dollar. I now buy mostly US made because they are just as good as cars made anywhere else.

I would not complain about paying US costs for goods if my wage was increased enough make up the difference. Currently US wages have been suppressed by offshore labor, mechanical automation and excessive immigration legal and illegal. IMHO Americans could afford American made goods if their wages had not been suppressed. Even with their lowered wages US workers still buy US made cars as well a lot of other goods.
I am not sure what you mean when you say wages have been 'suppressed'. The American economy is not based on manufacturing any more. People who get into IT, Finance and other growing fields are doing more than OK.

Wages are only 'suppressed' for people who refuse to learn new skills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
But how many produce a product. If they do not produce a product they do not increase the productivity of the nation
lol....good joke.

Old 08-18-2011, 07:36 AM

7,168 posts, read 5,367,910 times
One of the biggest reasons is self inflicted since we have a high corporate tax rate who would want to bring their money back on shore.

Quote:
"I think many companies in the U.S. would like to keep the jobs in the U.S. if they could, but they also need to keep their shareholders happy. And they are in the U.S. in a corporate tax nightmare because it's the highest tax rate in the world," Boitelle explained.

With Japan slated to lower its rate in April, the U.S. will soon have the highest corporate tax rate in the developed world.

"We are dealing with a tax system that is a dinosaur," Cisco CEO John Chambers told Stahl.

One CEO who would talk to us was Chambers. Cisco is the giant high tech company headquartered in San Jose, Calif. He says our tax rate is insane. It's forcing companies into these maneuvers, especially when many other industrialized countries including Canada are busy lowering their tax rates in order to lure our companies and our jobs away.
A look at the world's new corporate tax havens - CBS News

The guy is right our tax system is a Marxist dinosaur that needs to be revamped so we can be more competitive. It 's a no brainer, where would you start a company one where the tax rate is 35% or 12% ?

Old 08-18-2011, 07:37 AM

37,982 posts, read 22,163,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genonfire View Post
The Death of American Manufacturing | Economy | theTrumpet.com by the Philadelphia Church of God

The greedy CEO's, owners and shareholders in combination of past government policies has led to most jobs leaving the country.
Does the phrase "0bamacare waiver" ring a bell?

The policies by our government to increase regulations on businesses makes it less profitable for them to remain in business, they either downsize, quit all together, or move parts of their business overseas where there are less burdensome regulations, or lower taxes.

The annual cost of federal regulations in the United States increased to more than $1.75 trillion in 2008, a 3% real increase over five years, to about 14% of U.S. national income. This cost is in addition to the federal tax burden of 21%, for a combined cost of 35% of national income. One out of every three dollars earned in the U.S. goes to pay for or comply with federal laws and regulations, and new policies enacted in 2010 for health care and financial services will increase this burden.

http://republicans.smbiz.house.gov/N...umentID=209640

Old 08-18-2011, 07:41 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,150,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Possibly true, but that's a discussion for another thread.

Old 08-18-2011, 08:21 AM

11,578 posts, read 13,952,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I was estimating. I have no idea how much "made in china/malaysia/indonesia/etc" jeans really cost.
Head on over to the GAP/Banana Republic/Old Navy and find out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies