Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 06:09 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,297,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Obama has no chance. He may not even win nomination.

For all the groaning and whining the fact remains that President Obama delivered heathcare reform, financial services reform, Don't Ask Don't Tell, a free trade agreement with South Korea that allow for more American cars tobe imported there, and the START treaty. That's not too shabby for a guy that has been in office for about two years.

Yes, he's made some compromises to get some of this legislation passed by in his campaign he made it clear that he would work in a bi-partisan fashion and he as done so even when it was detrmental to him and pissed off his base.

If the economy continues to improve and unemployment starts to drop it makes his chances even stronger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2010, 06:27 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,152,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Funny how i can always spot a political novice when i see one.

Study your presidential election history and get back to me.
The political novice is the one that doesn't understand that presidents in charge of poor economies don't get re-elected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBrown80
I just don't care. I don't think it's practical for a multi trillion dollar economy to be held to the gold standard.
Sure it can, and people will adjust. It won't take long at all for people to get used to the idea of sharing an apartment with one or two other families.

That would be especially true with the media assisting, you know, constant stories in the news about how wonderful it is to share living accommodations with other families, and tips and things to do, and of course there would probably be a sitcom or two or three about 2 or 3 families sharing a cramped apartment together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979
Two years away is a long time in American politics.
That is exactly right, and polls occurring this early are a precedent and a clear indication of total panic in the Obama camp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979
His chances are better than not. I'd say, 2 out of 3. But if he keeps expanding the deficit, keeps giving into tax cuts without spending cuts, he isn't going to win my vote next time.
With 10% unemployment, no jobs, and a sluggish economy he won't be re-elected. The small economic down turn that occurred during the Bush Administration was the result of shifting resources due to the end of the Cold War and unemployment was only have of what it is now and Bush got kicked out.

You reaffirm my belief that you are not 100% on your understanding of US Politics.

Quote:
Obama is the de facto head of the Democratic Party.
No, the Chairman of the Democrat Party is the de facto head of the party.

If the DNC Chairman decides that Obama will only get $1 Million for political ads and his challengers will get $10 Million then that's the way it will be and Obama can't do anything about it.

Quote:
He will not win the nomination because there will not be a race. He will automatically be the Democratic Party's presedential candidate in 2012.
FDR and Clinton are the only Democrats to get "automatic re-nominations" but even Bill Clinton had token challengers. Carter had to fight tooth and nail to get renominated.

If you're going to berate others for being a novice you could at least get the name of the party right. It is the Democrat Party, not the Democratic Party

Quote:
No modern president has ever been asked to step down from his own parties nomination. Ever.
Except Johnson.

Johnson was asked to step down because of the angst over Vietnam and the economy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi
Obama has no chance. He may not even win nomination.
I was thinking Billary was toast because of Wikileaks. She violated the 1961 Treaty of Vienna and the violation of any treaty is a felony offense for which she could be impeached and convicted, unless she resigns to avoid impeachment.

And then there's the issue of Obama's role in the violation of the treaty.

But I don't think Republicans will pursue that.

Billiary is the most likely challenger against Obama, and in retrospect, everyone now realizes that she was the best and most qualified candidate for the Democrat Party. I think many people also long for the days of Reagan and Clinton in this economic climate. Being president is something she wants more than anything else, and given the chance, she'll pursue it again.

The reason I don't believe the Republicans will pursue it is because what Billiary did every Secretary of State has done, she just had the misfortune of being caught; and because to do so would imply that what is in the Wikilieaks documents is accurate; and because it would give credibility to Wikileaks and might encourage them to continue to publish leaked documents (at least that's how the Republicans would see it).

The strategy for a Republican win is simple: field a fresh candidate (one that did not run in 2008) who is viable, has common sense and no ties to any religious groups.

Old 12-23-2010, 06:33 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post

That is exactly right, and polls occurring this early are a precedent and a clear indication of total panic in the Obama camp

With 10% unemployment, no jobs, and a sluggish economy he won't be re-elected. The small economic down turn that occurred during the Bush Administration was the result of shifting resources due to the end of the Cold War and unemployment was only have of what it is now and Bush got kicked out.

You reaffirm my belief that you are not 100% on your understanding of US Politics.
I agree that if unemployment is that high, with the right candidate against him, he'll lose. I don't think it will be that high though, call me a glass half full kind of guy.

I disagree on the reason for the Bush economic downturn. They increased the deficit by 7 trillion with their medicare bill, and lowered taxes while fighting two wars, something that had never been done in American history, ever.

Bush didn't get "kicked out" he served two terms, he couldn't run again. Not that he would have won a third term.

Your opinion on my political knowledge is noted.

Old 12-23-2010, 06:46 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
[i]When you get into a presidential election, it decidedly favors Democrats, and every year it is going to decidedly favor them more and more," says Carville. The duo, armed with polls, detail the changing demographics: Younger voters are leaning Democratic more, as are Hispanics, blacks, and unmarried women—all expanding constituencies. "Look at what's coming in 2012. Every election becomes less white," says Carville. "Republicans are forced to double down on older whites, which is, long-term, not a very productive place to be," he adds.

The result is so baked in that Obama won't have to work hard to win re-election in 2012, says Carville, Bill Clinton's political guru.
Aren't these the same wishful thinkers who said, in 2008, that the Republican party was dead?

The Republicans need to make the youth of America understand that the mounting US debt and the spendaholics who create it are going to cripple their futures. If I were them as a party, I would be running those messages everywhere not just in 2012.

Old 12-23-2010, 06:50 AM

2,211 posts, read 4,848,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Aren't these the same wishful thinkers who said, in 2008, that the Republican party was dead?

The Republicans need to make the youth of America understand that the mounting US debt and the spendaholics who create it are going to cripple their futures. If I were them as a party, I would be running those messages everywhere not just in 2012.
Would you agree that the youth of America is not going to care about mounting US debt if everytime they turn around the Republican party is demonizing their gay and latino friends? Wouldn't you say that moving away from their hateful social message is the number one priority of Republicans? At least if they want to appeal to a demographic that largely believes homosexuality is normal and okay?

Old 12-23-2010, 06:55 AM

77,005 posts, read 47,597,802 times
I didn't vote for him, but he has been very successful in getting the things done he wanted to get done, so it does not surprise me that the polls favor him. Also, in two years the economy will have improved even more, so any challenger will have a hard time running against him.

Old 12-23-2010, 06:56 AM

77,005 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post

The problem is that "R"s are as good at increasing the debt as the "D"s.

Old 12-23-2010, 07:13 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,193,585 times
Without offering an opinion on Obama, I'd say the economy might be timed just right for him if the recovery continues.

Old 12-23-2010, 07:37 AM

817 posts, read 852,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
When you get into a presidential election, it decidedly favors Democrats, and every year it is going to decidedly favor them more and more," says Carville. The duo, armed with polls, detail the changing demographics: Younger voters are leaning Democratic more, as are Hispanics, blacks, and unmarried women—all expanding constituencies. "Look at what's coming in 2012. Every election becomes less white," says Carville. "Republicans are forced to double down on older whites, which is, long-term, not a very productive place to be," he adds.

The result is so baked in that Obama won't have to work hard to win re-election in 2012, says Carville, Bill Clinton's political guru. "He has to do somewhat better; he doesn't have to do a whole lot better." Adds Greenberg, Obama probably won't even face a primary challenge, he "will be there by himself."

Then why did Obama's party lose control of the House, and get crushed in the Senate, in the midterms? They say the Democratic base doesn't vote heavily in those elections. In fact that trend, Carville suggests, could result in a reversal of the pattern that Democrats win congressional elections while Republicans take the White House.
Pollsters Say Obama Will Win Re-election in 2012 - Washington Whispers (usnews.com)
Carville says Obama will easily win. Gee wiz what a surprise.

Old 12-23-2010, 07:56 AM

711 posts, read 1,143,116 times
It all depends on who he is running against.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies