Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2021, 08:51 AM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghPatriot View Post
Lol, wow you’re really becoming unhinged aren’t you? Relax buddy….shut the computer off and take a walk in nature or something.
Wait, I am unhinged? You still believe Biden visiting the Tree of Life, yet I need to step away? You can’t make this stuff up. Amazing how far people can be led.

Old 09-03-2021, 08:53 AM

882 posts, read 335,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Wait, I am unhinged? You still believe Biden visiting the Tree of Life, yet I need to step away? You can’t make this stuff up. Amazing how far people can be led.

LOL, still waiting for you to show me the video where Biden says that he visited after the attack.

Old 03-18-2022, 02:51 PM

6,358 posts, read 5,055,067 times
Default thoughts on becoming a bus driver

thought i would use this thread rather than needlessly create another.

fast forward to now, march 2022. the Port Authority fired a bunch of drivers for their failing to get vaccinated, despite being warned for months.

short version of this post:

im thinking of applying to be a bus driver. it would be a huge pay cut (who cares), but, i would think, a predefined set of hours. yes, i know you have to be on call and ready to drive various shifts, but at least you know a START time and an END time.

there are hardly, i think, any unforeseen variables. you drive a route. next day, you drive that route. next day....you get the picture. it would be nice to have predictability. ive seen nice drivers who seem to enjoy certain passengers (almost always the women, though). ive seen some who dont care to acknowledge a passenger's greeting or appreciation for their service. i think people BRING their attitude/demeanor into the job. i really dont think the job makes them a happy driver nor a miserable one. but who knows.

yes, there are obvious negatives, but every job has them. but i wonder if anyone has been a driver for the Port Auth., or can otherwise share thoughts on this - working for PAT as a driver, any non-obvious plusses or minuses for the job, whatever else. i wonder how long you'd have to work for a pension? my current employer, for which i've created millions in revenue for, has no pension and barely any eye/dental insurance.

gracias.

Old 03-20-2022, 06:52 AM

36 posts, read 14,932 times
Are these freebies the PPP loans that businesses are getting and not paying back? What some people have been doing is checking the Facebook pages of many of these businesses and seeing if they are saying nobody wants to work and complaining about unemployment being paid out to displaced workers. If the business also took a PPP loan, simply ask them why they don't want to work.

Here is a way to find out if your local business owner doesn't want to work and took tax money to stay home. Just search by Zip code.

https://projects.propublica.org/coronavirus/bailouts/

Old 03-20-2022, 11:01 PM

3,595 posts, read 3,393,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberpunk1981 View Post
Are these freebies the PPP loans that businesses are getting and not paying back? What some people have been doing is checking the Facebook pages of many of these businesses and seeing if they are saying nobody wants to work and complaining about unemployment being paid out to displaced workers. If the business also took a PPP loan, simply ask them why they don't want to work.

Here is a way to find out if your local business owner doesn't want to work and took tax money to stay home. Just search by Zip code.

https://projects.propublica.org/coronavirus/bailouts/
The ppp loan was to pay employees and expenses to stay in buisness during the forced closures of their businesses not charity.

Old 03-21-2022, 06:12 AM

36 posts, read 14,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy2073 View Post
The ppp loan was to pay employees and expenses to stay in buisness during the forced closures of their businesses not charity.
And in how many instances did we see those businesses close? Either way it was money they did not have to pay back. A loan that you do not have to pay back must be nice. Can I ask how that is not charity? One local business here in Denver got over $320,000 for free, but workers like me got up to $2000 ($1400 in my case) that we do not have to pay back. Yet the people who got hundreds of thousands of dollars if not millions are the ones saying nbody wants to work due to government handouts. Yet they got them too. Does that not bother you?

Why aren't the Conservatives who tout the benefits of the free market and personal responsibility up in arms about them paying back their loans like they are when it comes to students? Why don't we see them tweeting about PPP loans not getting paid back and explaining to the small businesses in their home states that they should be paying back the loans?

Old 03-21-2022, 06:55 AM

987 posts, read 280,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
thought i would use this thread rather than needlessly create another.

fast forward to now, march 2022. the Port Authority fired a bunch of drivers for their failing to get vaccinated, despite being warned for months.

short version of this post:

im thinking of applying to be a bus driver. it would be a huge pay cut (who cares), but, i would think, a predefined set of hours. yes, i know you have to be on call and ready to drive various shifts, but at least you know a START time and an END time.

there are hardly, i think, any unforeseen variables. you drive a route. next day, you drive that route. next day....you get the picture. it would be nice to have predictability. ive seen nice drivers who seem to enjoy certain passengers (almost always the women, though). ive seen some who dont care to acknowledge a passenger's greeting or appreciation for their service. i think people BRING their attitude/demeanor into the job. i really dont think the job makes them a happy driver nor a miserable one. but who knows.

yes, there are obvious negatives, but every job has them. but i wonder if anyone has been a driver for the Port Auth., or can otherwise share thoughts on this - working for PAT as a driver, any non-obvious plusses or minuses for the job, whatever else. i wonder how long you'd have to work for a pension? my current employer, for which i've created millions in revenue for, has no pension and barely any eye/dental insurance.

gracias.

You have to pass your CDL, and not fail a drug test. The majority of applicants do not meet those 2 requirements. After that, there's a ton of overtime if you want it. Once you pass your probationary period and you're in the union, you're golden. You get really good healthcare, plus there's lots of union rules that work to your advantage. The couple of bus drivers that I know will routinely get paid for many more hours than they actually work because of the rules. However, if you're new, you're going to get the worst routes and the worst hours.

Old 03-21-2022, 07:02 AM

6,358 posts, read 5,055,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
You have to pass your CDL, and not fail a drug test. The majority of applicants do not meet those 2 requirements. After that, there's a ton of overtime if you want it. Once you pass your probationary period and you're in the union, you're golden. You get really good healthcare, plus there's lots of union rules that work to your advantage. The couple of bus drivers that I know will routinely get paid for many more hours than they actually work because of the rules. However, if you're new, you're going to get the worst routes and the worst hours.
thanks!...exactly the kind of info i was looking for.

the worst routes/hours for newbies is no big whoop, and is what I would assume. It probably wont take more than a year to advance in seniority.

now, for OT - "if you want it". Do you mean that literally, or do they require it in times of need/driver shortages?

Old 03-21-2022, 07:11 AM

987 posts, read 280,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
thanks!...exactly the kind of info i was looking for.

the worst routes/hours for newbies is no big whoop, and is what I would assume. It probably wont take more than a year to advance in seniority.

now, for OT - "if you want it". Do you mean that literally, or do they require it in times of need/driver shortages?

Not sure about that. The guys I know want the OT, so they take it, with this caveat; one of the ways that the union is protesting the mandate is by refusing to work any OT. Kind of like a "dip my toes in the water" sort of thing, but whatever.

So based on that ,I'd say it's not required but I'm not 100% sure.

Old 03-21-2022, 09:52 AM

3,595 posts, read 3,393,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberpunk1981 View Post
And in how many instances did we see those businesses close? Either way it was money they did not have to pay back. A loan that you do not have to pay back must be nice. Can I ask how that is not charity? One local business here in Denver got over $320,000 for free, but workers like me got up to $2000 ($1400 in my case) that we do not have to pay back. Yet the people who got hundreds of thousands of dollars if not millions are the ones saying nbody wants to work due to government handouts. Yet they got them too. Does that not bother you?

Why aren't the Conservatives who tout the benefits of the free market and personal responsibility up in arms about them paying back their loans like they are when it comes to students? Why don't we see them tweeting about PPP loans not getting paid back and explaining to the small businesses in their home states that they should be paying back the loans?
Ppp kept hundreds of thousands of businesses from going bankrupt. Businesses owners didn't want their doors closing. Just because you are told to close doesnt stop your expenses. What would have been charity would have allowed businesses to stay open. If businesses would have stayed open the mass unemployment wouldn't exist and inflation would have been manageable today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh