Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2022, 07:30 AM

1,170 posts, read 538,496 times

Advertisements

The DOJ will appeal the recent mask ruling by a federal judge

https://www.npr.org/2022/04/20/10939...ate-appeal-doj

"Don't put those masks away just yet. The U.S. Justice Department said it's appealing the ruling by a federal judge that voided the mask mandate for public transportation."

typical NPR - don't put those masks away ever!

i think what happened was the DNC did some market research and concluded the thing liberals got the most excited about was, not the science of global warming, not black lives matter, not gender stuff - number one at the top of the list is the science of health and illness which is local - what's going on with the planet's temperature is too abstract to get really worked up about - health and illness are local, on your PAT bus or at your kid's school

this issue gets liberals hard - it's never going away until they are completely removed from power

Old 04-21-2022, 07:39 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,610,010 times
Actually, it's solving economic inequality. But honestly nice breasts work best.

Old 04-21-2022, 07:55 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,253,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
You seem to have a serious mental illness as youve appointed yourself to be the moral police to dictate what is acceptable discourse and what is in accordance with the terms of service of the site, yet you violate those very same terms of service scores of times yourself.
Serious is an understatement.

Old 04-21-2022, 08:12 AM

3,829 posts, read 1,690,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by April_Doowlle's_3 View Post
I dunno, I disagree with this. My sense was that, up until about 2019/2020, other than GG or his previous incarnation, there wasn't much political discussion on this board. Then, between the coarsening of public discourse that was part and parcel of the Trump administration, along with the societal paroxysms of Covid and the Black Lives Matter protests, certain issues became more highly contentious. Further, I do think the fact that things go so out-of-hand on the Pittsburgh forum has to do with lax moderation, as I gather (from a few PMs) that this sort of thing doesn't necessarily happen on, for example, the Philadelphia forum. In addition, I don't necessarily think that the "rightward turn" is due to the fact that one side necessarily has "better arguments" -- for example, if I'm arguing with a dedicated, "Holocaust denier" or Sandy Hook Truther, no amount of reason is going to convince this sort of individual to my point of few. For my part, this was (and for the most part) continues to be the only online forum where I engage, and so I was quite surprised to see this turn in the discourse. I attempted to draw a line on some issues:

1. Tyovan making threats against the Governor.

2. Erieguy's repeated lying about January 6th.

3. RetireInPA spouting Russian propaganda about the fact that the US was funding biological research in China, in contravention of certain weapons treaties with USSR/Russia, and this meant that the US was acting dishonorably.

Ultimately, I chose to "flame" Erieguy after one of his repeated attempts to post lies and misinformation about January 6th, and I am permanently "banned," such as that is.

A final point is that I think a lot of moderate and/or left-leaning forum members (to the extent they still check this board) simply choose not to get involved in these discussions, and I probably should have stuck to that strategy, as I did before 2019.

I guess another final point is that, folks here like to criticize reddit as a "liberal" bastion, although that is not what I have found. Sure, if a hot button issue is discussed on the Pittsburgh subreddit, it tends to trend liberal. However, if a non-political topic is discussed, e.g., restaurants, neighborhood recommendations, the up/down voting system tends to ensure that the discussion cannot be derailed by folks like Erieguy, who is intent on repeatedly posting talking points, rather than engaging in discussion/debate.

Read this quickly, as it will be deleted quickly. Never fear, I have saved a copy and will re-post every few days until I get bored.
I couldn’t agree more. 1 2 and 3 are Very strange folks indeed.

Old 04-21-2022, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Independentthinking83 View Post
Our feelings just aren’t so easily hurt and we don’t live in fear.

Old 04-21-2022, 08:44 AM

2,860 posts, read 1,905,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Independentthinking83 View Post
LOL, as is someone who lives in a different state yet posts here - and complains about political posts while making a plethora of their own political posts.

Old 04-21-2022, 08:45 AM

Quote:
LOL, as is someone who lives in a different state yet posts here - and complains about political posts while making a plethora of their own political posts.
Bingo

Old 04-21-2022, 08:46 AM

2,860 posts, read 1,905,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
Actually, it's solving economic inequality.
Brandon is doing his best to exacerbate that problem - inflation hits the poor the hardest.

Old 04-21-2022, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Brandon is doing his best to exacerbate that problem - inflation hits the poor the hardest.
Bingo…but the free stuff folks think printing and borrowing money is the answer.

Old 04-21-2022, 10:32 AM

3,829 posts, read 1,690,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Our feelings just aren’t so easily hurt and we don’t live in fear.
Quote:
Bizarre indeed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh