Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2021, 04:42 PM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 26,018,225 times

Advertisements

https://www.wtae.com/article/port-au...dents/37434550

Seems people lost interest in working. With our new government handing out checks left and right, why work?

Hope we get new leadership soon. Geez.

Old 08-30-2021, 05:08 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,253,481 times
Tough to get folks to work when Sleepy Joe pays them to stay home. I wonder if there’s a point where the folks defending all of the free stuff become so inconvenienced that they no longer defend it.

Old 08-30-2021, 05:52 PM

3,829 posts, read 1,690,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Tough to get folks to work when Sleepy Joe pays them to stay home. I wonder if there’s a point where the folks defending all of the free stuff become so inconvenienced that they no longer defend it.
???????

Old 08-30-2021, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Independentthinking83 View Post
???????
Lol. On the bright side and long overdue. https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news...vania/2942695/

Old 08-30-2021, 07:32 PM

1,653 posts, read 1,587,983 times
Funny thing. I read a similar article and was going to post it here, since people say the middle class in Pittsburgh is dying, and I thought it might be useful to folks without a degree or specialized skills.
Other folks read the exact same article and use it to sneer at people who “don’t want to work” and drag politics into it. Again.
Same news story. Very different responses.

I guess there are just some people who love to be miserable and negative. I used to attribute my achievements to my degree or ability to visualize complex systems, but I’m starting to believe that opportunity is, up to a point, where you make it. Top scale, not counting overtime, for a PAT driver is around 66k, you can get that in five years. Or you can fling poo on the internet, I guess.

Old 08-30-2021, 07:36 PM

Politics and taxpayers $$$ is what’s enabling folks to not have to work, hence why there’s so many jobs available, and the shortage of drivers which is what the article is about, shows that.

On the bright side, the free stuff is running out, so if folks want to be able to pay their bills, many of these jobs will be filled in the near future, and taxpayers won’t be carrying their load.

Old 08-30-2021, 07:48 PM

3,829 posts, read 1,690,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sealie View Post
Funny thing. I read a similar article and was going to post it here, since people say the middle class in Pittsburgh is dying, and I thought it might be useful to folks without a degree or specialized skills.
Other folks read the exact same article and use it to sneer at people who “don’t want to work” and drag politics into it. Again.
Same news story. Very different responses.

I guess there are just some people who love to be miserable and negative. I used to attribute my achievements to my degree or ability to visualize complex systems, but I’m starting to believe that opportunity is, up to a point, where you make it. Top scale, not counting overtime, for a PAT driver is around 66k, you can get that in five years. Or you can fling poo on the internet, I guess.
I couldn’t agree more. There is also a risk adverse and being comfortable element. That is certainly separate from the politics garbage as a few posters continue to try and spin.

A friend of mine in Pittsburgh had the opportunity at a 6 figure a year job with regional / local travel. He turned it down and stayed in his 45K a year job because he didn’t have to travel. He chose a new modular home instead of making money to buy a new single family home in a development.

There are many people that do this and the reasons have nothing to do with government or getting freebies. PAT bus drivers may have to work odd shifts or bad routes.

I think the new generation of folks coming up are taking into account overall happiness and work life balance. The work to death and take all the overtime culture is fading in this country. And that has nothing to do with freebies. People don’t want the hassle or to interact with others. As evidenced by 16 percent of the office space in downtown Pittsburgh being used. Business is saving money and people aren’t chomping at the bit to be part of office gossip.

A lot of people don’t want to work with or have a boss like drearyguy or Wendy Hell. They would rather take less money and less responsibility than interact with them where you depend on a paycheck.

Old 08-30-2021, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Independentthinking83 View Post
I couldn’t agree more. There is also a risk adverse and being comfortable element. That is certainly separate from the politics garbage as a few posters continue to try and spin.

A friend of mine in Pittsburgh had the opportunity at a 6 figure a year job with regional / local travel. He turned it down and stayed in his 45K a year job because he didn’t have to travel. He chose a new modular home instead of making money to buy a new single family home in a development.

There are many people that do this and the reasons have nothing to do with government or getting freebies. PAT bus drivers may have to work odd shifts or bad routes.

I think the new generation of folks coming up are taking into account overall happiness and work life balance. The work to death and take all the overtime culture is fading in this country. And that has nothing to do with freebies. People don’t want the hassle or to interact with others. As evidenced by 16 percent of the office space in downtown Pittsburgh being used. Business is saving money and people aren’t chomping at the bit to be part of office gossip.

A lot of people don’t want to work with or have a boss like drearyguy or Wendy Hell. They would rather take less money and less responsibility than interact with them where you depend on a paycheck.
Links to this happening?

Most everyone I know, and have always known, work to make as much money as possible. They relax later on if they’ve made their money, but certainly wouldn’t choose to work for such little money. $45k/year and a trailer/modular isn’t appealing to many, and is going to put one in an undesirable area, especially since many zoning laws won’t even allow it.

Last edited by erieguy; 08-30-2021 at 08:06 PM..

Old 08-30-2021, 08:20 PM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 26,018,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Lol. On the bright side and long overdue. https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news...vania/2942695/
I wish it was millions upon millions. Every time I am behind a food stamp person they are buying shrimp and steak. It is nuts. Get to work! Be productive. Have some self pride. Goodness.

Old 08-30-2021, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
I wish it was millions upon millions. Every time I am behind a food stamp person they are buying shrimp and steak. It is nuts. Get to work! Be productive. Have some self pride. Goodness.
It’s coming to an end across the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh