Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2022, 10:58 AM

987 posts, read 281,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by copanut View Post
i'm not as active as much, at least not in the pgh sub-forum. There used to be a lot threads about the area, restaurants, places of interest, and so on. Too much politics. No matter what the subject, by 4-5 posts it's either a dem or repub caused the problem. Take the pirates, it's being run into the ground by a money grubbing republican.
bingo!

Old 04-20-2022, 11:04 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,264,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
I'm not as active as much, at least not in the Pgh sub-forum. There used to be a lot threads about the area, restaurants, places of interest, and so on. Too much politics. No matter what the subject, by 4-5 posts it's either a Dem or Repub caused the problem. Take the Pirates, it's being run into the ground by a money grubbing Republican.
I’m still laughing at the press conference for the signing of Hayes. First appearance by Nutting in a long time. Really trying get that PR out there.

Old 04-20-2022, 11:19 AM

3,829 posts, read 1,691,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Nope. Look how dead this place is.

It’s because the place has descended into identity politics and a very small number of busybodies with nothing going on in their lives make it a mission to devolve every conversation into some weird political thing. The cult members run the place here and has turned it into a ****show.

If you think I’m wrong, pay attention to who replies to this, who is afraid to not have “the last word”.
Yep. They have trashed this forum.

It used to be good back and forth on jobs, housing, and local culture.

Old 04-20-2022, 11:29 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,264,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Independentthinking83 View Post
Yep. They have trashed this forum.

It used to be good back and forth on jobs, housing, and local culture.
Nobody’s stopping you from posting on jobs, housing, and local culture…, however, you criticize the jobs in the area and don’t want to post any when you supposedly knew of one. I’m sure many would be interested.

Old 04-20-2022, 01:36 PM

6,360 posts, read 5,067,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
.... Take the Pirates, it's being run into the ground by a money grubbing Republican.
'it IS.."????? as is, present tense?

did the pirates make a pennant run that i missed, some time in the last decade???

Old 04-20-2022, 06:14 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,572,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
'it IS.."????? as is, present tense?

did the pirates make a pennant run that i missed, some time in the last decade???
You missed the joke.

Old 04-21-2022, 06:51 AM

987 posts, read 281,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by April_Doowlle's_3 View Post
I dunno, I disagree with this. My sense was that, up until about 2019/2020, other than GG or his previous incarnation, there wasn't much political discussion on this board. Then, between the coarsening of public discourse that was part and parcel of the Trump administration, along with the societal paroxysms of Covid and the Black Lives Matter protests, certain issues became more highly contentious. Further, I do think the fact that things go so out-of-hand on the Pittsburgh forum has to do with lax moderation, as I gather (from a few PMs) that this sort of thing doesn't necessarily happen on, for example, the Philadelphia forum. In addition, I don't necessarily think that the "rightward turn" is due to the fact that one side necessarily has "better arguments" -- for example, if I'm arguing with a dedicated, "Holocaust denier" or Sandy Hook Truther, no amount of reason is going to convince this sort of individual to my point of few. For my part, this was (and for the most part) continues to be the only online forum where I engage, and so I was quite surprised to see this turn in the discourse. I attempted to draw a line on some issues:

1. Tyovan making threats against the Governor.

2. Erieguy's repeated lying about January 6th.

3. RetireInPA spouting Russian propaganda about the fact that the US was funding biological research in China, in contravention of certain weapons treaties with USSR/Russia, and this meant that the US was acting dishonorably.

Ultimately, I chose to "flame" Erieguy after one of his repeated attempts to post lies and misinformation about January 6th, and I am permanently "banned," such as that is.

A final point is that I think a lot of moderate and/or left-leaning forum members (to the extent they still check this board) simply choose not to get involved in these discussions, and I probably should have stuck to that strategy, as I did before 2019.

I guess another final point is that, folks here like to criticize reddit as a "liberal" bastion, although that is not what I have found. Sure, if a hot button issue is discussed on the Pittsburgh subreddit, it tends to trend liberal. However, if a non-political topic is discussed, e.g., restaurants, neighborhood recommendations, the up/down voting system tends to ensure that the discussion cannot be derailed by folks like Erieguy, who is intent on repeatedly posting talking points, rather than engaging in discussion/debate.

Read this quickly, as it will be deleted quickly. Never fear, I have saved a copy and will re-post every few days until I get bored.

bingo

Old 04-21-2022, 07:08 AM

6,360 posts, read 5,067,439 times
Quote:
I dunno, I disagree with this. My sense was that, up until about 2019/2020, other than GG or his previous incarnation, there wasn't much political discussion on this board. Then, between the coarsening of public discourse that was part and parcel of the Trump administration, along with the societal paroxysms of Covid and the Black Lives Matter protests, certain issues became more highly contentious. Further, I do think the fact that things go so out-of-hand on the Pittsburgh forum has to do with lax moderation.......
Read this quickly, as it will be deleted quickly. Never fear, I have saved a copy and will re-post every few days until I get bored.

Nicely put, without the vitriol or juvenile jabs that we find anywhere and everywhere in American society anymore.

why will it be 'deleted quickly'? you were 'banned' - from the entire board, or from one thread? does being banned require moderate action? i thought it would be programmed into the software/html/website or whatever.

Old 04-21-2022, 07:09 AM

2,860 posts, read 1,906,272 times
Quote:
Ultimately, I chose to "flame" Erieguy after one of his repeated attempts to post lies and misinformation about January 6th, and I am permanently "banned," such as that is.

You seem to have a serious mental illness as youve appointed yourself to be the moral police to dictate what is acceptable discourse and what is in accordance with the terms of service of the site, yet you violate those very same terms of service scores of times yourself.

Old 04-21-2022, 07:25 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,613,306 times
Quote:
Thanks again for the diagnosis. I suspect that, of you, Erieguy and myself, I'm the only one who has discussed my city data posting habits with an actual mental health professional. In general, the viewpoint of my therapist is that, to the extent the behavior does not interview with other major life activities (e.g., work, family), he doesn't see an issue with my current posting "hobby."

That said, I'd be interested in hearing any feedback you and/or Erieguy would get from a mental health professional.

Erieguy: So, yea, I post every incident of violent crime in the city on an online forum.
Therapist: hmmm.
Erieguy: And if anyone disagrees with my "orthodoxy" on these events, I will continue to post responses to them until they give up or the thread is deleted.
Therapist: hmmm.

Tyovan: Yea, so last year during the the pandemic, I repeatedly used "Nazi" terminology to refer to the Governor and I ultimately suggested that he might get shot and/or that he may need the "Mussolini treatment."
Therapist: Ok. Can you wait there just one moment, I need to make a call.
Tyovan: Is this about me?
Therapist: Uh. [long pause] No.

Heh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh