Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2022, 08:20 AM

6,363 posts, read 5,106,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUILD PENN SQUARE View Post
had a very chatty driver on the 64 yesterday who was not wearing a mask, told me he got the J&J shot and said he thinks port authority is using the mandate situation to downsize and ultimately provide fewer services

also said PAT is a terrible company to work for but admitted it does provide good service

i wonder why he would say that. how bad can it be - you know when you get out of bed what your function will be. it must not be obvious things that would have him say that.

Old 03-25-2022, 04:15 AM

2,860 posts, read 1,924,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
i wonder why he would say that. how bad can it be - you know when you get out of bed what your function will be. it must not be obvious things that would have him say that.
Dealing with Pittsburgh traffic and drivers on a daily basis while being held to a timetable.
Dealing with people who dont want to wear a mask, who are using drugs (Ive seen an overdose while riding the bus), who are arguing with you/begging you because they cant pay their fare...
And dealing with unpleasant neighborhoods because more senior drivers dont want to work in the Mon Valley or Homewood or the Hill District everyday...

The job seems like it should be straight-forward and stress-free... but I can see a lot of unpredictable hiccups causing daily stress.

Old 03-25-2022, 06:39 AM

40,998 posts, read 18,431,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
Dealing with Pittsburgh traffic and drivers on a daily basis while being held to a timetable.
Dealing with people who dont want to wear a mask, who are using drugs (Ive seen an overdose while riding the bus), who are arguing with you/begging you because they cant pay their fare...
And dealing with unpleasant neighborhoods because more senior drivers dont want to work in the Mon Valley or Homewood or the Hill District everyday...

The job seems like it should be straight-forward and stress-free... but I can see a lot of unpredictable hiccups causing daily stress.
Bingo…sounds like a terrible job.

Old 03-25-2022, 07:43 AM

6,363 posts, read 5,106,823 times
Quote:

sure, but is that the Authority's fault? everything you said is to be expected and not surprising. but if any driver is surprised by that, then that just proves what i've said all along - we are all in our own box and hardly aware of other neighborhoods/lifestyles that are vastly different than our own!

There is no freakin' way I'd want to drive the Frankstown bus, for example - and i LIVE in this immediate area!

now, will the union get some of these fired drivers returned to their jobs? and if they do, will they regain the time they have in, and their seniority? if so, F this.

Old 03-25-2022, 10:59 AM

987 posts, read 289,643 times
Quote:

It's pretty much stress free, even more so for the T drivers.

They're given latitude to not have to collect fares from people, so if they're arguing about it, that's on the individual driver. Nothing is forcing them to force people to pay. They get pretty much as much OT as they want, and they get paid very well. The union makes it so that there are often times that they get paid just for sitting around.

And most buses are more often early than late...that's why you'll see them sitting on the side of the road sometimes....they have to burn off the time that they've built up so they don't get to the stop too early.

Old 03-26-2022, 11:51 AM

1,171 posts, read 548,753 times
Union head rips Port Authority over suspensions, firings

https://www.post-gazette.com/news/tr...s/202203250096

"Mr. Nicotero said it is “just laughable” that for nearly two years his workers were called “heroes” for reporting to work during the pandemic. Now, “we’re zeros” and members are facing termination if they don’t receive the vaccine, he said."

you were always zeros and the way you know that is, when push came to shove your bosses (who answer to bigger bosses like the governor) told you to get vaccinated or GTFO

Old 03-26-2022, 12:13 PM

40,998 posts, read 18,431,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUILD PENN SQUARE View Post
Union head rips Port Authority over suspensions, firings

https://www.post-gazette.com/news/tr...s/202203250096

"Mr. Nicotero said it is “just laughable” that for nearly two years his workers were called “heroes” for reporting to work during the pandemic. Now, “we’re zeros” and members are facing termination if they don’t receive the vaccine, he said."

you were always zeros and the way you know that is, when push came to shove your bosses (who answer to bigger bosses like the governor) told you to get vaccinated or GTFO
Bingo…let folks reap the consequences of shortages due to ridiculous mandates. Be a shame if it got even worse.

Old 03-26-2022, 11:11 PM

1,171 posts, read 548,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Bingo…let folks reap the consequences of shortages due to ridiculous mandates. Be a shame if it got even worse.
in a way it is getting worse, or better, in that i've recently had a number of bus drivers on the 64 who do not have a mask anywhere near their face

so they're vaccinated and in compliance with the mandate obviously, but they're sort of staging their own protest because maybe they don't like what's happening to their coworkers who in many cases are probably also their friends (or family)

a lot of people are fine with the fact that they've taken the vaccine and people they know and work with and are friends with or related to didn't take it

they feel safe around them or in large public gatherings because their shot is 100% safe and effective

like if someone says, you can't come to my wedding unless you're vaccinated for covid, then you say thanks i will not be attending

and if they say, i want you to be at my wedding and i respect that you chose not to take the shot, then you say, great, where are you registered?

much love and respect to the maskless vaccinated drivers who appear to staging a sort of protest

Old 03-27-2022, 06:14 AM

1,918 posts, read 764,169 times
All of our public transportation and infrastructure point downtown. Yet only a small percentage of pre covid commuters are still commuting there. Busses will be cut.

Old 03-27-2022, 07:56 AM

2,860 posts, read 1,924,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
They're given latitude to not have to collect fares from people, so if they're arguing about it, that's on the individual driver. Nothing is forcing them to force people to pay.
So all one needs to have is a selfish enough attitude to refuse to pay, and they can basically ride for free indefinitely?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh