Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2023, 10:48 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,260,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
A lot.
How much is a lot, and please be specific, as we’ve been told by the poster it’s staggering?

Old 01-23-2023, 11:20 AM

408 posts, read 233,508 times
I keep hearing people state “this individual is soft on crime” yet they don’t provide any direct evidence of said individual, point to any policies, or even talking points from said individual. If you think any of our mayors are soft on crime, then their budget’s would not be increasing, they would not be getting extra classes, nor would the current administration start to setup a dedicated committees to directly address these problems. I wonder how much of the posters here actually read the legislation that is passed in the city, or do you simply read what the “news” people grab and twist or leave out context? Stop being ignorant or directly accuse individuals without any form of backing and hard evidence of such. Let alone the alarmist signals here, “Skyrocketing crime” yet on average it’s now that much higher (still higher than past) but when individuals see this, they become alarmist and make everything seem more worse than what it is.

Old 01-23-2023, 11:21 AM

5,097 posts, read 2,321,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcider View Post
No, you're confused. I lament the thread being a circle jerk for all of the people who do not live in the city, but thumb their nose at those who do. Insinuating we are somehow responsible for the gun violence. Also, that we are somehow OK with it? This isn't unique to Pittsburgh, it's happening all over the US, blue and red states as well. I do have a problem with how easy it is for people to get guns illegally, while acknowledging there really aren't any solutions to the issue. At the same time, I also do not pretend the vast numbers of guns in US households do not have a part in this. If there were less firearms, then there would be less shootings. The reports of guns stolen from vehicles is staggering. People, do not leave your guns in your cars!
You're not really making a distinction here. The basic point is that you don't like it when people talk about shooting that happen in this area. If people think that local officials are doing a bad job handling crime and violence, why not criticize them, and the people who vote for them? Also, you're the one who has this city line obsession. If you live in Dormont instead of Brookline, in Millvale as opposed Lawrenceville, aside from public schools, what's the difference? Most people don't obsess over whether their house is within the limits of the city of Pittsburgh or not.

Old 01-23-2023, 11:22 AM

This behavior is no different when in 1992 to 1995 crime spiked. Same alarmist, same concerns or issues or pointing the figure at politics yet again.

Old 01-23-2023, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higherho View Post
I keep hearing people state “this individual is soft on crime” yet they don’t provide any direct evidence of said individual, point to any policies, or even talking points from said individual. If you think any of our mayors are soft on crime, then their budget’s would not be increasing, they would not be getting extra classes, nor would the current administration start to setup a dedicated committees to directly address these problems. I wonder how much of the posters here actually read the legislation that is passed in the city, or do you simply read what the “news” people grab and twist or leave out context? Stop being ignorant or directly accuse individuals without any form of backing and hard evidence of such. Let alone the alarmist signals here, “Skyrocketing crime” yet on average it’s now that much higher (still higher than past) but when individuals see this, they become alarmist and make everything seem more worse than what it is.
What have Fetterman, Summer Lee, Big Ed, Peduto, etc…, done to be hard on criminals, and please be specific?

Why is there a police shortage and the next class of officers not being ready for 2 years?

Murders are up 39% since last year and passed 2014 numbers. Why is that and what’s being done to change it?

So you don’t consider a 39% increase of murders from a year ago skyrocketing?

Last edited by erieguy; 01-23-2023 at 11:38 AM..

Old 01-23-2023, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
What have Fetterman, Summer Lee, Big Ed, Peduto, etc…, done to be hard on criminals, and please be specific?
You’re making the claim they are doing nothing. The individual who makes the claim, should show evidence backing that up. Since you and others cannot, then you’re talking out of thin air or guessing.

Quote:

So you don’t consider a 39% increase of murders from a year ago skyrocketing?

The stats and numbers don’t lie. They’re simply unpopular with some.

39% sounds like a lot but when you actually look at the raw numbers and the average, 39% is only an increase of 20 to 30. Again, people using percentages as an alarmist mechanism. What If we went from 1 murder to 2? thats a 100% increase! OMG! I’m not saying the current issues are not important or concerning (They are) but I’m also a bit more realistic and not spouting off alarmist wording.

Old 01-23-2023, 11:36 AM

Quote:
You’re making the claim they are doing nothing. The individual who makes the claim, should show evidence backing that up. Since you and others cannot, then you’re talking out of thin air or guessing.

39% sounds like a lot but when you actually look at the raw numbers and the average, 39% is only an increase of 20 to 30. Again, people using percentages as an alarmist mechanism. What If we went from 1 murder to 2? thats a 100% increase! OMG! I’m not saying the current issues are not important or concerning (They are) but I’m also a bit more realistic and not spouting off alarmist wording.
The numbers and stats prove these powers that be are doing most nothing. Why is there a police shortage and the next class of officers not being ready for 2 years?

39% is a lot, and it’s not slowing down, but love the rationalization to try to fit the narrative.

Pittsburgh and Philly are both on it. https://worldpopulationreview.com/us...h-most-murders

A list no city wants to be on but Pittsburgh and Philly are both on it. The twenty cities in the United States with the highest murder rates (murders per 100,000 people) are:

St. Louis, MO (69.4)
Baltimore, MD (51.1)
New Orleans, LA (40.6)
Detroit, MI (39.7)
Cleveland, OH (33.7)
Las Vegas, NV (31.4)
Kansas City, MO (31.2)
Memphis, TN (27.1)
Newark, NJ (25.6)
Chicago, IL (24)
Cincinnati, OH (23.8)
Philadelphia, PA (20.2)
Milwaukee, WI (20.0)
Tulsa, OK (18.6)
Pittsburgh, PA (18.4)
Indianapolis, IN (17.7)
Louisville, KY (17.5)
Oakland, CA (17.1)
Washington D.C. (17.0)

Old 01-23-2023, 11:39 AM

Quote:
The numbers and stats prove these powers that be are doing most nothing.
Um, no it doesn’t. I have no idea how or what logic you’re using to come to that conclusion. Again, over simplifying crime, you’re not looking into what your local government is actually doing, nor is anyone here attending council meetings and reading legislation. Reading through this thread is just a bunch of alarmist and hyperbole.

Old 01-23-2023, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Um, no it doesn’t. I have no idea how or what logic you’re using to come to that conclusion. Again, over simplifying crime, you’re not looking into what your local government is actually doing, nor is anyone here attending council meetings and reading legislation. Reading through this thread is just a bunch of alarmist and hyperbole.
Funny how you edited my post and ignore the numbers, Pittsburgh being on the top 20 list of homicides, and won’t answer the question of why the next police class is 2 years away.

We keep hearing Big Ed say he has a “plan for peace”, and he and the community “leaders” clamoring for folks to help with information on criminals, folks complaining how bad the crime is and demanding something needs done, store owners complaining and moving their business, etc…, but sure it’s just muh alarmist and hyperbole. Not everyone has such low standards to shrug it off.

How do you explain this list?

The twenty cities in the United States with the highest murder rates (murders per 100,000 people) are:

St. Louis, MO (69.4)
Baltimore, MD (51.1)
New Orleans, LA (40.6)
Detroit, MI (39.7)
Cleveland, OH (33.7)
Las Vegas, NV (31.4)
Kansas City, MO (31.2)
Memphis, TN (27.1)
Newark, NJ (25.6)
Chicago, IL (24)
Cincinnati, OH (23.8)
Philadelphia, PA (20.2)
Milwaukee, WI (20.0)
Tulsa, OK (18.6)
Pittsburgh, PA (18.4)
Indianapolis, IN (17.7)
Louisville, KY (17.5)
Oakland, CA (17.1)
Washington D.C. (17.0)

Old 01-23-2023, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Funny how you edited my post and ignore the numbers, Pittsburgh being on the top 20 list of homicides, and won’t answer the question of why the next police class is 2 years away.

We keep hearing Big Ed say he has a “plan for peace”, and he and the community “leaders” clamoring for folks to help with information on criminals, folks complaining how bad the crime is and demanding something needs done, store owners complaining and moving their business, etc…, but sure it’s just muh alarmist and hyperbole. Not everyone has such low standards to shrug it off.

How do you explain this list?

The twenty cities in the United States with the highest murder rates (murders per 100,000 people) are:
Look, I know you take pride in deflecting, not answering questions when people point out your flaws, and then try to ask them questions without answering theirs and turn around and try to point them as “the issue”. Please Erie, you need to stop. I don’t know if you understand how to debate but you don’t avoid and try to remove yourself from the issue by demanding answers from others when you provided nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh