Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2023, 10:14 AM

1,412 posts, read 568,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
What a disgrace it is that we let anyone who wants a gun, to have one.
Riigghhhtt, because I'm sure the latest downtown shooter acquired his gun through normal, legal means.
Yep, those darn guns just decided to open fire all on their own, not the scum whose hand they were in.
Blaming the actions of these creatures on everything but themselves is so typical of those of your ilk.

Old 01-21-2023, 10:56 AM

4,179 posts, read 2,969,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
Why are you telling him? He obviously doesn't like gun violence. Tell it to the people who get mad when you even mention shootings. According to them, there's no issue. Also, why can't both of these things be a disgrace? They seem pretty closely related to me.
I have yet to meet one person that is in denial about the escalating violence. Not one. There is definitely an issue here and has been for decades. There are segments of society that live in the trenches…ground zero. A ten or twenty percent spike is not really felt in a community suffering from social ills. The issue is that this violence is spilling over into the normal functioning neighborhoods that are not accustomed to everyday craziness. In the 90s these incidents were concentrated in a few areas. Now it’s pretty much anywhere and anytime.

Old 01-21-2023, 11:00 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,268,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
I have yet to meet one person that is in denial about the escalating violence. Not one. There is definitely an issue here and has been for decades. There are segments of society that live in the trenches…ground zero. A ten or twenty percent spike is not really felt in a community suffering from social ills. The issue is that this violence is spilling over into the normal functioning neighborhoods that are not accustomed to everyday craziness. In the 90s these incidents were concentrated in a few areas. Now it’s pretty much anywhere and anytime.
It’s actually a 39% increase

2022 was one of Pittsburgh’s deadliest years. Behind every homicide statistic is someone's story.

“The 71 homicides citywide in 2022 amounted to a grim 39% increase from the previous year, when 51 people were killed.”

https://www.post-gazette.com/news/cr...s/202301080015

Old 01-21-2023, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
It’s actually a 39% increase

2022 was one of Pittsburgh’s deadliest years. Behind every homicide statistic is someone's story.

“The 71 homicides citywide in 2022 amounted to a grim 39% increase from the previous year, when 51 people were killed.”

https://www.post-gazette.com/news/cr...s/202301080015
Yeah and?

Old 01-21-2023, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Yeah and?
It’s a huge spike, not 10-20%, and it’s continuing to happen…and going on for decades and happening anytime and anywhere as you’ve claimed doesn’t say much for the powers that be doing something about it, especially now.

Old 01-21-2023, 11:35 AM

Quote:
It’s a huge spike, not 10-20%, and it’s continuing to happen…and going on for decades and happening anytime and anywhere as you’ve claimed doesn’t say much for the powers that be doing something about it, especially now.
A person living in the trenches would not feel the difference as it is so common and has been for many years. Never mind politicians. I’m referring to everyday people impacted by crime. What has the federal government done in the past? Why especially now? There has always been spikes. Were you this concerned in 2014 and 15? Or is this selective outrage based on your political views? Are you really concerned?

Old 01-21-2023, 11:46 AM

Quote:
A person living in the trenches would not feel the difference as it is so common and has been for many years. Never mind politicians. I’m referring to everyday people impacted by crime. What has the federal government done in the past? Why especially now? There has always been spikes. Were you this concerned in 2014 and 15? Or is this selective outrage based on your political views? Are you really concerned?
Obviously a 39% increase has everyone feeling the difference including people living in the trenches. Going on for many years certainly doesn’t say much for the mayors of the city, and especially Big Ed, who has clamored about his plan for peace that obviously isn’t doing much if anything.

Funny how you’re deflecting to the federal government and 2014 and 2015 versus the mayors who are in charge of the city…and I’m sure I was and did, however, this is a huge spike. Of course I’m concerned. I have friends and family in the city and visit it regularly 5-7 months/year, and it’s getting worse.

You’ve told us that the criminals are coming from the same area, an Allegheny Commons building, and that children are getting new in the box guns. Have you told the powers that be this? What’s Big Ed and the community leaders doing about it to stop it from spiking?

Old 01-21-2023, 12:36 PM

3,595 posts, read 3,405,017 times
Quote:
Obviously a 39% increase has everyone feeling the difference including people living in the trenches. Going on for many years certainly doesn’t say much for the mayors of the city, and especially Big Ed, who has clamored about his plan for peace that obviously isn’t doing much if anything.

Funny how you’re deflecting to the federal government and 2014 and 2015 versus the mayors who are in charge of the city…and I’m sure I was and did, however, this is a huge spike. Of course I’m concerned. I have friends and family in the city and visit it regularly 5-7 months/year, and it’s getting worse.

You’ve told us that the criminals are coming from the same area, an Allegheny Commons building, and that children are getting new in the box guns. Have you told the powers that be this? What’s Big Ed and the community leaders doing about it to stop it from spiking?

The only way to get big ed to listen is through the ballot box. When the community votes for soft on crime this is what they get.

Old 01-21-2023, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy2073 View Post
The only way to get big ed to listen is through the ballot box. When the community votes for soft on crime this is what they get.
Bingo…though I’m sure bakery goods would at least get him to listen, but still not do anything about it…though it’s unlikely folks are going to quit voting for soft on crime political figures in the city anyway.

Old 01-21-2023, 01:47 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 26,030,173 times
Quote:
What a disgrace these charges got dropped

Homicide charges dropped against two suspects in Cedar Avenue shooting

https://www.wtae.com/amp/article/ced...opped/42598411

Fatal downtown Pittsburgh shooting convinces dental practice to leave area

https://www.wtae.com/amp/article/dow...oting/42597767
Wonder how long it will take for them to murder someone?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh