Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2023, 07:44 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,260,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Not sure id consider McKnight road “the city”…
Not sure how many shootings there’s been on McKnight Rd, but shootings and murders have skyrocketed in the city…and the loser responsible for the shooting on McKnight Rd is also responsible for shooting a Pittsburgh postal worker in Pittsburgh.

Old 01-18-2023, 11:43 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 26,023,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
13 year old murders another 13 year old while they were playing video games together.

https://www.wtae.com/article/clairto...ation/42527071
Well at least they are letting the 13 year old out of jail. He has been in there long enough.

Old 01-19-2023, 07:42 AM

1,913 posts, read 744,526 times
Quote:
Well at least they are letting the 13 year old out of jail. He has been in there long enough.
The world needs more psychopaths running around. That's what Leftists advocate and implement. The question is, why do they want to destroy their beloved cities? I think their hate of humanity trumps their love of old buildings.

Old 01-19-2023, 07:43 AM

32,621 posts, read 77,701,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggiezz View Post
The question is, why do they want to destroy their beloved cities?
They want to keep rent cheap. That's the reason why the "misunderstood" people who live in my neighborhood chuck piles of litter everywhere on the roadsides to the point where they look like war-torn Rwanda again days after I spent hours cleaning them while the East End progressive apologists on this sub-forum tell me I'm the problem because they never leave the East End and have no idea how bad the rest of the city is becoming under Gainey's watch.

Old 01-19-2023, 07:57 AM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggiezz View Post
The world needs more psychopaths running around. That's what Leftists advocate and implement. The question is, why do they want to destroy their beloved cities? I think their hate of humanity trumps their love of old buildings.
I do find it interesting how the left side seems to hate humans more and also hate their country more. It does seem to be a trend. The party changed a lot since my decades with them. I never hated humanity or my country. Disappointed in us going to wars and other things, but hate? No. The left seems more down and out and sometimes it does have a feel of them wanting to take us all down with them and destroy things. It is odd, but scary at the same time. Could it be that simple that our downtown is just a byproduct of this New Democratic Party? I don't think it can be that simple, but it probably plays a role in all of this. SCR, you are closer to the age of this new group, do you have any thoughts? I enjoy your perspective on these matters. I embrace diverse opinions and hate echo-chambers. UGH!!!!

Old 01-19-2023, 08:19 AM

32,621 posts, read 77,701,807 times
Quote:
I do find it interesting how the left side seems to hate humans more and also hate their country more. It does seem to be a trend. The party changed a lot since my decades with them. I never hated humanity or my country. Disappointed in us going to wars and other things, but hate? No. The left seems more down and out and sometimes it does have a feel of them wanting to take us all down with them and destroy things. It is odd, but scary at the same time. Could it be that simple that our downtown is just a byproduct of this New Democratic Party? I don't think it can be that simple, but it probably plays a role in all of this. SCR, you are closer to the age of this new group, do you have any thoughts? I enjoy your perspective on these matters. I embrace diverse opinions and hate echo-chambers. UGH!!!!
Please bear in mind that "All Democrats" =/= "The Left". I'm a registered Democrat because years ago when I became politically active (I turned 18 on Election Day 2004 and voted for John Kerry) the Democratic Party was the only party that wanted to treat gay people (moi) as equal human beings to straight people. Nowadays MOST people---Democrats or Republicans---support same-sex marriage to the point where even conservative Republicans aren't seriously mounting a challenge to it because they know they'll have less support for overturning same-sex marriage than they did for overturning Roe v. Wade (abortion).

I'm a moderate Democrat.

I'm pro-law enforcement. I'm also pro-law enforcement accountability as well (i.e. if 50 out of Pittsburgh's 800 cops are breaching code of conduct and/or treating people of color disparately, then they SHOULD be terminated and/or held civilly- or criminally-liable for their actions). It's only the progressive "left" wing of the Democratic Party that is for radically defunding the police---moderate Democrats like me recognize that if we continue to lose officers under Gainey, then the city is in big trouble as monied "Sex and the City" types who moved to the city because it was trendy flee to the suburbs for safety as violent crime rises, and then the city's wage tax budget will take a huge hit as all those high-earning professionals move back out to the 'burbs.

I believe climate change is real. I'm not convinced it is only occurring BECAUSE of humans; however, I do think human activities have accelerated it. I also think it is worth further research, funding, and action to find ways to slow down climate change for future generations. My concern over climate change is the primary reason I now spend 10-15 hours per week around my work schedule picking up litter. The less garbage ending up in the rivers the better.

I think we need to find a solution for the current labor shortage/skills mismatch in this country. Eschaton is in favor of increased automation to eliminate "excess" jobs and expanding universal basic income to support/sustain those who can't work or who don't want to work. I'm sort of in the middle on that. Someone like erieguy will say things like "minimum skills = minimum wage" for low wage jobs but then complain when everyone in those jobs finds better-paying jobs, and, consequently, he receives terrible and slow customer service from the only two folks remaining at the fast food place he frequents or the retail store he shops at. You can't tell low-wage people to get better jobs but then complain when they DO get better jobs. When I secured better employment the place I used to work at went under not long after---partially because they couldn't find replacement staff. I specifically go out of my way to use self-checkouts in stores specifically because stores I patronize that are a mess should be shifting more cashiers OFF registers and into the aisles to front/face and to replenish stock. People like you and erieguy and Reggiezz will say how "horrible" the economy is right now, yet the unemployment rate is 3.5% (lower in many areas), and anyone who WANTS a job (and who isn't a moron or an addict who refuses to help themselves) CAN get a job---normally paying $15/hr.-$20/hr. Most people I know don't have 401(k)'s or significant investments, so I couldn't care less about day-traders or Bitcoin/Crypto sharks losing their shirts as the stock market jumps 1,000 points one day and crashes 1,000 points the next as it has been doing instead of just buying stocks and then holding onto them for decades and earning good returns over the years on those stocks.

Also, interesting that people say they hate "echo chambers", yet this sub-forum is now generally just a right-wing echo chamber where moderates are drowned out by shouting and anger. 80% of the country is moderate and leans left or leans right on certain issues. The media just gives the most attention to the 10% of lefties who are in the "ACAB! Burn it down!" crowd or the 10% of righties who are in the "Biden stole the election! MAGMA 2020!" crowd. MOST Americans aren't morons.

Old 01-19-2023, 09:23 AM

1,913 posts, read 744,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
They want to keep rent cheap. That's the reason why the "misunderstood" people who live in my neighborhood chuck piles of litter everywhere on the roadsides to the point where they look like war-torn Rwanda again days after I spent hours cleaning them while the East End progressive apologists on this sub-forum tell me I'm the problem because they never leave the East End and have no idea how bad the rest of the city is becoming under Gainey's watch.
It's possible they do it in response to your actions.

Old 01-19-2023, 09:34 AM
gg

... voted for John Kerry) the Democratic Party was the only party that wanted to treat gay people (moi) as equal human beings to straight people. Nowadays MOST people---Democrats or Republicans---support same-sex marriage to the point where even conservative Republicans aren't seriously mounting a challenge to it because they know they'll have less support for overturning same-sex marriage than they did for overturning Roe v. Wade (abortion).

I also voted for Kerry, but wasn't excited about it, although Bush/Cheney!!!

I'm pro-law enforcement. I'm also pro-law enforcement accountability as well (i.e. if 50 out of Pittsburgh's 800 cops are breaching code of conduct and/or treating people of color disparately, then they SHOULD be terminated and/or held civilly- or criminally-liable for their actions). It's only the progressive "left" wing of the Democratic Party that is for radically defunding the police---moderate Democrats like me recognize that if we continue to lose officers under Gainey, then the city is in big trouble as monied "Sex and the City" types who moved to the city because it was trendy flee to the suburbs for safety as violent crime rises, and then the city's wage tax budget will take a huge hit as all those high-earning professionals move back out to the 'burbs.

We agree here, but there are plenty of poorer whites that don't get treated very well by certain types of police with their high and tights and aggressive style. Heck, drunk police attacked a bunch of old Pegans that were just hanging at some bar keeping to themselves. I'll bet that cost the city of Pittsburgh one heck of a lot of money when they just picked a fight for no reason and ganged up on the old biker guys. Not some Pagan fan, but everyone should have rights and their rights were violated. It isn't just some black thing.

I believe climate change is real. I'm not convinced it is only occurring BECAUSE of humans; however, I do think human activities have accelerated it. I also think it is worth further research, funding, and action to find ways to slow down climate change for future generations. My concern over climate change is the primary reason I now spend 10-15 hours per week around my work schedule picking up litter. The less garbage ending up in the rivers the better.

I think climate change is also real. Mostly a natural occurrence, but partly man-made and we certainly can do better with our wasteful living. A lot more research is needed, but you can't go to war with cheap energy sources when you are trying to recover from a pandemic. That is moronic. Thanks for picking up litter. Pittsburgh is filled with it and a lot of that style comes from the hood. It is what it is.

I think we need to find a solution for the current labor shortage/skills mismatch in this country. Eschaton is in favor of increased automation to eliminate "excess" jobs and expanding universal basic income to support/sustain those who can't work or who don't want to work. I'm sort of in the middle on that. Someone like erieguy will say things like "minimum skills = minimum wage" for low wage jobs but then complain when everyone in those jobs finds better-paying jobs, and, consequently, he receives terrible and slow customer service from the only two folks remaining at the fast food place he frequents or the retail store he shops at. You can't tell low-wage people to get better jobs but then complain when they DO get better jobs. When I secured better employment the place I used to work at went under not long after---partially because they couldn't find replacement staff. I specifically go out of my way to use self-checkouts in stores specifically because stores I patronize that are a mess should be shifting more cashiers OFF registers and into the aisles to front/face and to replenish stock. People like you and erieguy and Reggiezz will say how "horrible" the economy is right now, yet the unemployment rate is 3.5% (lower in many areas), and anyone who WANTS a job (and who isn't a moron or an addict who refuses to help themselves) CAN get a job---normally paying $15/hr.-$20/hr. Most people I know don't have 401(k)'s or significant investments, so I couldn't care less about day-traders or Bitcoin/Crypto sharks losing their shirts as the stock market jumps 1,000 points one day and crashes 1,000 points the next as it has been doing instead of just buying stocks and then holding onto them for decades and earning good returns over the years on those stocks.

I'm all for better pay, but know that the small local places will dry up and all we will have left are big box and chain restaurants. It is what it is. I think the economy is flat lining for the most part, so don't lump me in with others. I think it is a fake economy however and pretty scary at that with our government just piling up debt that will someday lead us into slavery or war. I wish we would take care of our own more and focus on places like Ukraine a lot less as they weren't exactly some wonderful country in the first place, of course we make them out to be great or something now.

Also, interesting that people say they hate "echo chambers", yet this sub-forum is now generally just a right-wing echo chamber where moderates are drowned out by shouting and anger. 80% of the country is moderate and leans left or leans right on certain issues. The media just gives the most attention to the 10% of lefties who are in the "ACAB! Burn it down!" crowd or the 10% of righties who are in the "Biden stole the election! MAGMA 2020!" crowd. MOST Americans aren't morons.

This forum is the least echo-chamber that I know that is Pittsburgh related. Have you been to the R place? You get banned immediately if you offer a slightly different opinion on matters. I think this place is quite diverse in style. I have a few crazy posters on ignore. Erie, isn't my style at all, but we agree sometimes. This is an open forum and the only place that you CAN have an opinion. There is no stopping the far left from coming on here and trying to post something, regardless of how illogical it is. Echo-chambers are places you CAN'T have different opinions. The R forum is a forbidden place for a right leaning moderate like myself. A laugh at "right leaning" as I have NEVER considered myself one, but in a city I am right leaning. In the country, I am left leaning. ha, ha. This is no echo-chamber unless opposing views leave and they do for some reason. Weak?

I have a right to be PO'ed at my old party and what they allowed to happen to our city. They shut down everything, and let protesting with MASSIVE groups go nuts for 4 1/2 years during a pandemic. I have every right to not only be in disbelief at what people were doing, but the long term effects of what they did and how we were treated like dogs or less with how Wolf dictated everything, which was in sharp contrast of a freedom to choose style of Florida. I went there often during the pandemic and small businesses didn't suffer like they did here. Clueless temper tantruming morons destroyed our city. Just because I am angry at them, doesn't mean I don't have a lot in common with my old party. I love that our new governor removed the college degree requirement on most all state jobs. It is about time we move in that direction and stop making young people in massive debt for some. stupid piece of paper. Work your way up through jobs and get your experience that way. Much better than what is going on in college today and their indoctrination of our poor young minds.

Old 01-19-2023, 01:02 PM
gg

Couple shootings today so far.

Shooting Downtown Pittsburgh happening now.

https://www.wpxi.com/news/local/larg...M6CFLQLM2Y4WM/

Woman shot in Garfield at 9:30 AM

https://www.wpxi.com/news/local/woma...BDQYFWV2LJ22M/

Old 01-19-2023, 04:30 PM

6,358 posts, read 5,066,204 times
Quote:
I do find it interesting how the left side seems to hate humans more and also hate their country more. It does seem to be a trend. The party changed a lot since my decades with them...

no, there is a distinction between trash culture and true liberals/leftists. many of the leftists are extremely naive, not realizing that some people are just sh*, act like sh*, and do nothing to better themselves, while feigning victims of a 'racist society', or one so corrupted by a few uber-wealthy that everyone else is screwed. (really?)

these left people are the thin ones with the face jewelry and who speak in that ivy league/valley girl hybrid way, who love to feel superior by calling out, say, UPMC as come evil monopoly, or saying people have been 'under represented' (meanwhile, we all have a vote and freedom to voice opinion...so, how so under-represented?).

their hearts are in the right place, but the problem is their views are never challenged in public forum locally, hence their messages thrive like a cancer.

they are not the same ilk as someone firing seven shots in daylight across Liberty Avenue, with absolutely no regard to anyone third person's safety, let alone for regard for their own future behind bars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh