Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 03:16 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,507,074 times

Advertisements

If you are born in a Christian neighborhood with Christian parents, you'll probably grow up programmed as a Christian.

If you are born in a Hindu neighborhood with Hindu parents, you'll probably grow up programmed a Hindu.

If you are born in a Buddist neighborhood with Buddist parents, you'll probably grow programmed a Buddist.

If you weren't born into any religion, or you are later deprogrammed, you will probably grow up an agnostic or an atheist, simply by the lack of programming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2011, 03:29 PM

5,298 posts, read 4,594,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
If you are born in a Christian neighborhood with Christian parents, you'll probably grow up programmed as a Christian.

If you are born in a Hindu neighborhood with Hindu parents, you'll probably grow up programmed a Hindu.

If you are born in a Buddist neighborhood with Buddist parents, you'll probably grow programmed a Buddist.

If you weren't born into any religion, or you are later deprogrammed, you will probably grow up an agnostic or an atheist, simply by the lack of programming.

Oh no, no! It goes much deeper than the above. Isaiah 45:15;" Truly thou art a God who hides himself." Prov. 16:9," The mind of man plans his way; but the Lord directs his steps." Prov. 20:24," Mans steps are ordained by the Lord, how then can man understand his way? It does not matter where you are born, or into what kind of situation, your life will be ordained to go as God so wills it to.

Old 09-12-2011, 03:31 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,071,729 times
Thanks for Hitler, God! *sarcasm*

Truely, I tell you, there must be an extra-marvoulous ending to off-set all the horrible current design.

Old 09-12-2011, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickiel View Post
Oh no, no! It goes much deeper than the above. Isaiah 45:15;" Truly thou art a God who hides himself." Prov. 16:9," The mind of man plans his way; but the Lord directs his steps." Prov. 20:24," Mans steps are ordained by the Lord, how then can man understand his way? It does not matter where you are born, or into what kind of situation, your life will be ordained to go as God so wills it to.

So you think God plans for all those people in Thailand to be Buddist? The people in Saudi Arabia to be Muslim? The people in India to be Hindu?

I don't think it works that way.

I'll bet you didn't sit down one day, carefully research each of the worlds religions, and choose the one that seems most likely to be true.

Because religion is best studies as an epidemilogist studies disease. It's spread from parent to child and neighbor to neighbor. Your neighbors and family happen to be Christians, and so you became a Christian- but if your neighbors had been Hindu, you'd be saying the same things about Hinduism.

In some respect, you didn't decide to be a Christian, you decided to be religious. Christianity was the religion chosen for you by your family and neighbors.

Old 09-12-2011, 03:44 PM

Quote:
So you think God plans for all those people in Thailand to be Buddist? The people in Saudi Arabia to be Muslim? The people in India to be Hindu?

I don't think it works that way.

I'll bet you didn't sit down one day, carefully research each of the worlds religions, and choose the one that seems most likely to be true.

Because religion is best studies as an epidemilogist studies disease. It's spread from parent to child and neighbor to neighbor. Your neighbors and family happen to be Christians, and so you became a Christian- but if your neighbors had been Hindu, you'd be saying the same things about Hinduism.

In some respect, you didn't decide to be a Christian, you decided to be religious. Christianity was the religion chosen for you by your family and neighbors.

Oh no, no, no! Our place was chosen for us by God himself. He carefully placed within our consciousness, the place he feels we would do best. Your an Atheist, or whatever you are, because God thought it was the place best suited for you and him. We are what we are, soley because God preordained it. Thats WHY we all are garenteed Salvation, because none of us asked to be born, none of us are as responsible for ourselves, as God is for ourselves. None of us have the power to manipulate our lives, as God does.

Old 09-12-2011, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Oh no, no, no! Our place was chosen for us by God himself. He carefully placed within our consciousness, the place he feels we would do best. Your an Atheist, or whatever you are, because God thought it was the place best suited for you and him. We are what we are, soley because God preordained it. Thats WHY we all are garenteed Salvation, because none of us asked to be born, none of us are as responsible for ourselves, as God is for ourselves. None of us have the power to manipulate our lives, as God does.

Well then God works in ways that are indistingioushable from there being no God at all - because we would get the same result whether or not a God existed.

Odd that.

Old 09-12-2011, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Well then God works in ways that are indistingioushable from there being no God at all - because we would get the same result whether or not a God existed.

Odd that.

I disagree. Jeremiah 10:23;" I know, O Lord, that a mans way is NOT " In himself", nor is it in a man who walks to direct his steps." This means we were not born with instant direction, nor do we have control " Over God." God is the " All Parent", all wisdom is invested in him. As is all power. God , before the world was made, looked into this present time, at each one of our births, and decided THEN, how he wanted us to live; we simply filled his quota and took the spot he wanted us to take. He wanted so many believers, so many unbelievers, so many in this religion, and so many here and there.

For HIS purpose!

Peace.

Old 09-12-2011, 04:11 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,071,729 times
And I'm supposed to believe the writers, editors, translaters, and your interpretation of Jeremiah... why?

They didn't have political motives? I doubt it.

Old 09-12-2011, 05:17 PM

31,084 posts, read 22,107,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
And I'm supposed to believe the writers, editors, translaters, and your interpretation of Jeremiah... why?

They didn't have political motives? I doubt it.
You might add to that Mohammad, Joseph Smith, Jim Jones, David Koresh, and 1000's of others. There is nothing I see that would make one more believable than the other...It's all faith and which is the best salesman.

Like said above, when you are indoctrinated into religion or into believing in a deity from birth how could you make a logical decision?

Old 09-13-2011, 06:18 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,750,770 times
Quote:
I disagree. Jeremiah 10:23;" I know, O Lord, that a mans way is NOT " In himself", nor is it in a man who walks to direct his steps." This means we were not born with instant direction, nor do we have control " Over God." God is the " All Parent", all wisdom is invested in him. As is all power. God , before the world was made, looked into this present time, at each one of our births, and decided THEN, how he wanted us to live; we simply filled his quota and took the spot he wanted us to take. He wanted so many believers, so many unbelievers, so many in this religion, and so many here and there.

For HIS purpose!

Peace.
I suppose this is a waste of posting time but, Mickiel, mate, posting plonking personal opinions supported by selected Bible quotes is evidence of precisely nothing other than your inability to see anything other than through the thick - lensed pink - tinted spectacles of religious Faith.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy