Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 02:28 PM

5,298 posts, read 4,596,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSoul View Post

There is safety in familiarity - even if it's making our lives like hell.
Also, it takes enormous effort to change deeply entrenched habits... We have to have such a passionate drive, to be able to override the well-worn, familiar path.

I've loved a guy many told me not to love... & others did things to keep me from him. They knew he wasn't good for me - & he proved to be incapable of being loyal in each of his marriages. Deep down, I knew he wasn't good for me, yet, I still loved him - not really love, but was infatuated with the good parts of him, & loved how he seemed to make me feel. Now, I realize nobody makes us feel anything. They may water the seed within us, but that seed has to be there first. It's within - our interpretation, & related feelings.

Mickiel, you ask some good questions, that I'm still wondering. What is it that gives me a strong desire to change... to fight against the status quo opposition? It's different for each person.
Today I ran my 1st 5k... & I was thinking of what would motivate me, when I felt like giving up... & I thought of my friend who's parapalegic, but in excellent shape - he makes the most of what he has. I should do that too!
So, people can be inspiring, so can dreams... ambitions - keep dreaming & keep striving for them!

The " Well-worn familuar path", oh how I understand that. Trying to withdraw from something, can be like stepping off of what you think is pleasure, onto what seems like pain; so it will be hard at first. Romance and being in Love with the wrong person for you is a horrible handicap and reality to have to withdraw from. Most of us want to love and be loved, and once you get there, to have to face that you finally got there, and need to now get away, is simply draining and disappointing.

But, as you mentioned, if you have people in your life, or your thoughts, who can be an example of inspiration, it can defintely be a source of help in reprograming.

Peace toward you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2011, 02:33 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,558,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickiel View Post
Are you suggesting that science does not use cirular logic?
Remember when you learned subtraction? How did you prove your work? By addition.

Circular logic can be used to prove or disprove something because there are challanges and questions involved.

Unlike the blind leading the blind in a circle ...........
For here nothing is questioned, just follow along like mindless minions.......

Old 09-10-2011, 04:05 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,779,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
As to your first question, I have a question: 'Unnecessary' to what? Understanding the nature of existence? Being a good person?? As to the second, I don't think I understand it. When we speak of 'scientifically measureable' phenomena we must remain aware that we measure things with tools of our own making and hence are fallible. When you use the word 'design' it seems to me that you're implying a designer. That strikes me as circular logic.
I was inquiring as to the other Posters belief in agnosticism and if it also entailed that a personal Creator was unecessary..in other words...that everything including the many physics constants, mathematical laws, laws of chemistry, etc... that our cosmos is inherently made up of, could be produced by Natural (non intelligent) Causes which accomplishes the specific purpose of Earth existing , being sustained, so we can have it as our home .

Old 09-10-2011, 10:31 PM

In deprograming, the battle for your consciousness is indeed a battle, because its always going to be at the least; two conflicting sides. One thing I believe helps in deprograming yourself, is to make a plan. We plan for everythingelse, we then need to plan to help ourselves. Make a list; an " Elimination list." A list of things you need to do and not do anylonger; and work on it everyday. Pressure yourself to stay on that track and don't let a day go pass that you don't work on it.

This then will become " Habitual." Habitual ways need habitual efforts to overcome them. If you maintain any effort for at least " 30 days", you are on your way to overcomming whatever it is you wish to break free from.

Old 09-10-2011, 11:28 PM

33,571 posts, read 37,188,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickiel View Post
In deprograming, the battle for your consciousness is indeed a battle, because its always going to be at the least; two conflicting sides. One thing I believe helps in deprograming yourself, is to make a plan. We plan for everythingelse, we then need to plan to help ourselves. Make a list; an " Elimination list." A list of things you need to do and not do anylonger; and work on it everyday. Pressure yourself to stay on that track and don't let a day go pass that you don't work on it.

This then will become " Habitual." Habitual ways need habitual efforts to overcome them. If you maintain any effort for at least " 30 days", you are on your way to overcomming whatever it is you wish to break free from.
Me thinks you have lost the battle Mickiel....You posts show evidence of severe programming, and I have seen no improvement since you began posting here on City Data.

Old 09-11-2011, 04:07 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,778,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
I was inquiring as to the other Posters belief in agnosticism and if it also entailed that a personal Creator was unnecessary..in other words...that everything including the many physics constants, mathematical laws, laws of chemistry, etc... that our cosmos is inherently made up of, could be produced by Natural (non intelligent) Causes which accomplishes the specific purpose of Earth existing , being sustained, so we can have it as our home .
This seems again and again to be the underpinning of all religious argument - some 'mind' had to have started it off. Ok. I suggested in another post that I should not block this idea but see where it went. Since this as all about religious programming or indoctrination or 'Truth' as it is called, it is surely on - topic.

Let me say that I concede that it is hard to imagine a material universe coming to be in such complexity without 'something' starting it off. Let's say that I agree that some 'creator' (pre-existing intelligence) is a feasible possibility. What then?

Old 09-11-2011, 04:20 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,238,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Me thinks you have lost the battle Mickiel....You posts show evidence of severe programming, and I have seen no improvement since you began posting here on City Data.
Another thing that helps is to stay positive that you can do it.
Having people around that do nothing but be negative and pessimistic about your efforts don't help......unless you're the type of person that gets more determined to prove those people wrong.
So far, you've appeared not to be much influenced by what anybody else says so it may not be a problem at all.

Old 09-11-2011, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Another thing that helps is to stay positive that you can do it.
Having people around that do nothing but be negative and pessimistic about your efforts don't help......unless you're the type of person that gets more determined to prove those people wrong.
So far, you've appeared not to be much influenced by what anybody else says so it may not be a problem at all.

Well writen, I agree so much. This certainly is a help in withdrawal. Some people are negative and pessimistic, because its all they have to offer, its how they really are. These type of people are posion to reprograming, and they need to be avoided, espically if you are in the " Heat of your withdrawal."

Just block them out and keep moving!

Old 09-11-2011, 07:32 AM

2,994 posts, read 5,779,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
This seems again and again to be the underpinning of all religious argument - some 'mind' had to have started it off. Ok. I suggested in another post that I should not block this idea but see where it went. Since this as all about religious programming or indoctrination or 'Truth' as it is called, it is surely on - topic.

Let me say that I concede that it is hard to imagine a material universe coming to be in such complexity without 'something' starting it off. Let's say that I agree that some 'creator' (pre-existing intelligence) is a feasible possibility. What then?
Yes...it is common and its called the Anthropic Principle and its scientific ...not religious. If you concede that a personal theistic Creator/Designer exists...then can you list any implications it would have toward mankind and ones personal life ?

Old 09-11-2011, 08:56 AM

Just as the captive can fall in love with the captor, the human consciousness can fall in love with an idea, a way of life; we can become obsessed with doctrines and beliefs and unbeliefs. They become our captors and we fall for them. Then some of us actually go out and help our captor, capture other people. Now your captor could be " An understanding which you have fallen for." It could be a traditional understanding passed down to you through your family." In that there is a great " Obligation to continue the tradition."

That tradition could be Atheism, Christianity, Islam, it could be a tradition of dominant abuse of the females in the family; it could be predujice. It could be political or educational. It could be your parents wanting you to be a policeman. It could be sexual preference or a tradition of stealing and cheating. It could be anything that is passed down to you that appears as normal family behavior and beliefs. And you will feel obligated to it.

Family tradition is a tough thing to withdraw from, its reprograming could actually hurt members of your family who wish to remain captive and bound. But if you no longer want to be bound, then you may have to seperate yourself from your family " For a while", until your withdrawal is complette.

Once you have reprogramed yourself and got something out of your system, then being exposed to it again, should not phase you that much, IF you are determined to no longer be bound.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy