Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 01:11 PM

5,298 posts, read 4,596,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Aha, so it was from your mother that you learned of god, not from god himself, as you told me....Thanks for clearing that up.

In your errfort to find fault or to find something that discredits, it subtracts from really getting to know and understand someone " Outside of the box you think they exist in." My Mom, is like me in one area, or better said, I am like her. She does not place her beliefs on her children, she lets them think and believe for themselves. I am just like that, I don't try and convince others as to what they should believe.

But in your prejudgement of me, you can only picture me as being influenced to believe in God by my Mother, when the oppisite is what occured. She has lived her life in belief, and has never interfered with my beliefs. ( Our beliefs are totally different, she is Baptist.) I learned about God, from God, not from a religion. I have always disagreed with every religion I have been exposed to, which is why I walk alone.

But I understand your need to fit me into your boxed interpitation of me and other believers, and how we came to believe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2011, 01:17 PM

52 posts, read 54,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickiel View Post
Well whats even more tramatic is that I was visiting her at the time she was killed. She told me she was going across the street to get a drink, would be right back. Soon later I heard a knock at the door. A neighbor of hers screamed at me that something is wrong with my sister, she thinks she was shot. I ran outside, saw her lying on the sidewalk accross the street; ran to her and kneeled down to pick her up. I searched for a bullet wound and saw it behind her neck. I laied her back down and just looked at her, she was smileling, with her eyes closed. Next thing I know the police snatched her from me and threw her in their back seat and flew off.

I was seriously stunned, as the other police went into the house of the man who shot her and took him away. Then I had to make a most frigthening phone call, and try and tell my Mom what just happened.
What was the motive for the shooting?

Old 09-15-2011, 01:17 PM

33,571 posts, read 37,188,083 times
Quote:
In your errfort to find fault or to find something that discredits, it subtracts from really getting to know and understand someone " Outside of the box you think they exist in." My Mom, is like me in one area, or better said, I am like her. She does not place her beliefs on her children, she lets them think and believe for themselves. I am just like that, I don't try and convince others as to what they should believe.

But in your prejudgement of me, you can only picture me as being influenced to believe in God by my Mother, when the oppisite is what occured. She has lived her life in belief, and has never interfered with my beliefs. ( Our beliefs are totally different, she is Baptist.) I learned about God, from God, not from a religion. I have always disagreed with every religion I have been exposed to, which is why I walk alone.

But I understand your need to fit me into your boxed interpitation of me and other believers, and how we came to believe.

You came to believe in the same way all believers do, from the people in the society you were born in. Had you been born in India your beliefs would be entirely different.

Old 09-15-2011, 01:24 PM

Quote:
You came to believe in the same way all believers do, from the people in the society you were born in. Had you been born in India your beliefs would be entirely different.

That's what cool about the internet. You can be them all in one place.

Old 09-15-2011, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chakraman View Post
What was the motive for the shooting?

Well she went across the street to one of her drinking companions, a man in his 60's. He was sending her to the corner store to buy drinks for them. He wanted vodka and she wanted beer. They then argued. They tell me as she walked off the porch, he came outside and shot her.

And the guy was a preacher, of all things. The neighborhood burned his house down that day.

Old 09-15-2011, 01:33 PM

Quote:

Your just locked into that way of seeing it. I came to believe by walking away from the way the others around me believed. I knew something was wrong with their belief system.

You just can't comprehend that. Your not able to understand that there are those who came to believe outside of your accepted understanding of how belief comes.

Old 09-15-2011, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Well she went across the street to one of her drinking companions, a man in his 60's. He was sending her to the corner store to buy drinks for them. He wanted vodka and she wanted beer. They then argued. They tell me as she walked off the porch, he came outside and shot her.

And the guy was a preacher, of all things. The neighborhood burned his house down that day.

I had an incedent right accross my when a young, very drunk woman was brutally beat in the face by her, very drunk jealous boyfriend. Alcohol and youngster do not mix. I am a living testamony, I have been 15 years dry. I was never violent, but I was defenately a drunk. May your sis rest in peace, bro.

Old 09-15-2011, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chakraman View Post
I had an incedent right accross my when a young, very drunk woman was brutally beat in the face by her, very drunk jealous boyfriend. Alcohol and youngster do not mix. I am a living testamony, I have been 15 years dry. I was never violent, but I was defenately a drunk. May your sis rest in peace, bro.

Well thank you. My belief is that all humans are destined to be with their creator in peace. We will see our dead familys again.

Old 09-15-2011, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Well thank you. My belief is that all humans are destined to be with their creator in peace. We will see our dead familys again.

You tore me apart Mick. I just had a good cry. Thanks for that. I think I needed it.

Old 09-15-2011, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OStater View Post
It really is as if you're trying to do some (unsuccessful) "Art of War" thing and use the atheistic arguments against the atheists themselves....not realizing that, in doing so, you look ridiculous.

"Locked into that way of seeing it" aptly describes religious people, because they believe something purely out of faith which, by defintiion, disregards lack of evidence and logic in favor of believing for the sake of believing.

Atheists are not "locked" into anything. We go where the evidence goes, and over the years it has frequently changed.

I certainly disagree with you, Atheist are not " Immune to being close minded." People get " Locked into evidence and facts", and Atheist and Theist have many human charactheristics in common, Atheist are not some kind of " Different human", they worship themselves and their way of belief just as Theist do. Both can be closed minded and egotistic about their own movement.

I understand I look rediculous, I understand also that I am getting a lot of " Looks", so as these views continue, I will make a conscious effort to provide things which may further intrest you. Atheist and Theist have a lot to offer each other, we don't have to die in oppisition to each other. We can elevate these boards to a new level, and learn to glean off each other.

I had to admit to an Atheist here not long ago that he was right about his views on taxes of churches, I mean the man was just right. And I may have to swallow my views on Alfred Russell Wallace soon, but that is still ongoing research; yet that Atheist may be right in his views.

Listen the opportunity here is far greater than we know, and we will loose out it if we continue in this senseless interpitation of there being a " War between the two camps." Its purely a situation of Iron sharpening Iron", a most unique biblical principle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy