Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2017, 04:04 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,706,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Your last question is what I continue to ask. Who is going to do the political heavy lifting, say, in just the coming decade? Millennial liberals don't seem to find it odd that substantial numbers of them supported a guy for POTUS who is over 70 years old. Obviously lots of older people are still very capable. You are. I am. But, new blood, would be very energizing.
I used to bristle when my sister would tell about the everybody gets a trophy for showing up phenomenon. We had a heated discussion one day & it hit her that l had a point. She sat her kids down & told them that getting a trophy for showing up doesn't extend to adults. Her kids bust their butts & realize that it might not be acknowledged, but they keep doing it. They are irritated no end by coworkers who don't think that they have to work to keep their jobs. They aren't surprised when those people are let go.

The same extends to the political world. Eventually, our generation will fade away, like every generation before us. Then who's going to run the city? I agree with you for posing the challenge.

Honestly, I get sick of young people lobbing blame for everything that's wrong on our generation. They have no clue how much we changed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2017, 04:18 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,767,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
Yeah there is.

Northbroad – The North Broad Renaissance

Currently, the organization provides weekly street cleanings. A clean and safe North Broad is step one.
Oh, man, I didn't know anything about this and its pretty much my neighborhood.

Old 07-21-2017, 07:04 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,879,166 times
Quote:
Your last question is what I continue to ask. Who is going to do the political heavy lifting, say, in just the coming decade? Millennial liberals don't seem to find it odd that substantial numbers of them supported a guy for POTUS who is over 70 years old. Obviously lots of older people are still very capable. You are. I am. But, new blood, would be very energizing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I used to bristle when my sister would tell about the everybody gets a trophy for showing up phenomenon. We had a heated discussion one day & it hit her that l had a point. She sat her kids down & told them that getting a trophy for showing up doesn't extend to adults. Her kids bust their butts & realize that it might not be acknowledged, but they keep doing it. They are irritated no end by coworkers who don't think that they have to work to keep their jobs. They aren't surprised when those people are let go.

The same extends to the political world. Eventually, our generation will fade away, like every generation before us. Then who's going to run the city? I agree with you for posing the challenge.

Honestly, I get sick of young people lobbing blame for everything that's wrong on our generation. They have no clue how much we changed.
It's kind of hard not to blame Boomers for the way things are in Philly, given that Boomers are still largely in office and involved. However, there are good things that are often overlooked.

I agree people should be involved and keep making things better, but the two of you keep complaining about Millenials and I'm just stating WHY the younger generations are not as involved. And for the third time, 1960 was VERY different. Just this fact alone explains why:

1960: 180M people
2016: 326M people (probably more due to illegal immigration)

Old 07-21-2017, 08:38 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,767,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
It's kind of hard not to blame Boomers for the way things are in Philly, given that Boomers are still largely in office and involved. However, there are good things that are often overlooked.

I agree people should be involved and keep making things better, but the two of you keep complaining about Millenials and I'm just stating WHY the younger generations are not as involved. And for the third time, 1960 was VERY different. Just this fact alone explains why:

Too OT of course and our mod might delete this before you see it. Are you saying that because the US population has almost doubled in 50 years, with all of the complexities that involves, is a reason to avoid public service? I did notice today that a young person wants to run for governor of Illinois. So that's encouraging.

Old 07-21-2017, 08:39 AM

Quote:

Yes, it's pretty easy to blame Boomers for what's wrong in Philadelphia, especially because we were in grade school, high school, & college when the mills were closing down. Obviously, in your generation's opinion, that part of the equation is our fault.

You think that citing 1960 covers "the 60s". 1970 is more appropriate if you want to cite one year. A lot went on during the 60s. However, kyb & I are female & in the 70s, after we finished college, want ads in the newspapers were still segregated into help wanted male, help wanted female, & help wanted male or female. The help wanted male jobs usually paid well & the help wanted female jobs usually did not pay a decent, liveable wage. There were a lot of things that needed to be addressed on the national level & the local level. They were frequently intertwined.

Again, talk to Boomers in real life. Few, if any, think we fixed everything. Some went about it quietly, others made more noise, & some got into politics. When you continue to lay blame for corruption on Boomers, you should be ashamed of yourself. Yes, there is still some. No Boomers didn't invent it.

This thread is supposed to be about Philadelphia in the future, but your generation doesn't want to be involved. Nice.

Old 07-21-2017, 08:52 AM

9,381 posts, read 9,349,798 times
Quote:

As a Millenial, I think a lot (of course not all) of young people are indifferent about getting involved because of distractions: social media, detachement from human interaction, student debt, etc. I think there are more distractions today then in the past. Our generation has also never experienced a large scale war/ movement that affected everyone (World War 1, 2, Vietnam, Civil Rights, Womens Rights, etc) I would say LGBT rights have been the biggest recent movement which have garnered a lot of support from young people, so we have the power to get involved, we just pick and choose. And I think Millenials have had the fluffiest, most sheltered upbringing compared to any past generation.

Old 07-21-2017, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Too OT of course and our mod might delete this before you see it. Are you saying that because the US population has almost doubled in 50 years, with all of the complexities that involves, is a reason to avoid public service? I did notice today that a young person wants to run for governor of Illinois. So that's encouraging.
Not a reason as far as advocating people to avoid service, but one reason for the complexities and people's avoidance in reality. Philly alone has 7M people in its CSA. That's a lot of BS to deal with, especially since our population is so divided.

Old 07-21-2017, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Yes, it's pretty easy to blame Boomers for what's wrong in Philadelphia, especially because we were in grade school, high school, & college when the mills were closing down. Obviously, in your generation's opinion, that part of the equation is our fault.

You think that citing 1960 covers "the 60s". 1970 is more appropriate if you want to cite one year. A lot went on during the 60s. However, kyb & I are female & in the 70s, after we finished college, want ads in the newspapers were still segregated into help wanted male, help wanted female, & help wanted male or female. The help wanted male jobs usually paid well & the help wanted female jobs usually did not pay a decent, liveable wage. There were a lot of things that needed to be addressed on the national level & the local level. They were frequently intertwined.

Again, talk to Boomers in real life. Few, if any, think we fixed everything. Some went about it quietly, others made more noise, & some got into politics. When you continue to lay blame for corruption on Boomers, you should be ashamed of yourself. Yes, there is still some. No Boomers didn't invent it.

This thread is supposed to be about Philadelphia in the future, but your generation doesn't want to be involved. Nice.
Seriously, you are missing what I'm saying. I'm not blaming Boomers myself, and I'm not advocating that people avoid service. I'm stating facts. It is hard to avoid blame when Boomers are still actively in office and controlling elections in Philly.

I talk to Boomers all the time and I have a few Boomer relatives that have served in public office; I get it. You being mad at me changes nothing about what the average person thinks about the impacts of Boomers in our society (especially when people like Kenney are sucking in office TODAY). And what people did in the 60s has no impact on what people are (or are not) doing today.

Old 07-21-2017, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
As a Millenial, I think a lot (of course not all) of young people are indifferent about getting involved because of distractions: social media, detachement from human interaction, student debt, etc. I think there are more distractions today then in the past. Our generation has also never experienced a large scale war/ movement that affected everyone (World War 1, 2, Vietnam, Civil Rights, Womens Rights, etc) I would say LGBT rights have been the biggest recent movement which have garnered a lot of support from young people, so we have the power to get involved, we just pick and choose. And I think Millenials have had the fluffiest, most sheltered upbringing compared to any past generation.
I think this is a HUGE reason too.

Old 07-21-2017, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Seriously, you are missing what I'm saying. I'm not blaming Boomers myself, and I'm not advocating that people avoid service. I'm stating facts. It is hard to avoid blame when Boomers are still actively in office and controlling elections in Philly.

I talk to Boomers all the time and I have a few Boomer relatives that have served in public office; I get it. You being mad at me changes nothing about what the average person thinks about the impacts of Boomers in our society (especially when people like Kenney are sucking in office TODAY). And what people did in the 60s has no impact on what people are (or are not) doing today.
Keep in mind that there is a tiny generation that is still out there that never had a label. They are not Boomers & not our parents' generation. I have a cousin & an uncle in that generation. John McCain is the best known example in this country.

I'm not mad at you or any specific Millennial. It does aggravate me that so many blame us for everything.

As a group, Boomers were change agents. Part of that change was reacting to our rearing. Many of us were brought up in a "Depression-Lite" family atmosphere. the reaction was to not do that to the kids. That's where everybody gets a trophy comes from. It was involved with good intentions, but wasn't the best idea ever.

As far as Kenney, identify a worthy opponent. Get behind that person. Kenney isn't the first plain vanilla mayor. He won't be the last. Bill Green filled the slot for 4 years. I doubt that anyone can remember anything that his administration contributed to the city.

Light a fire under your councilperson. Lidl is looking for locations from Philadelphia/South Jersey to Augusta, Georgia. They will have 21 locations open by the end of this month. Look at their website. If you can identify a site that would work near you, contact your representative. Have your friends contact their representative on council. Get something going. If you & your friends get some interest going with Lidl, it could bring in some extra Aldi stores.

Last edited by southbound_295; 07-21-2017 at 10:55 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia