Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2017, 06:47 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,767,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
That is a good question. PMC is building both the Aramark HQ and the River Walk. They get more stuff built in this city than basically everyone else combined, so they are probably just waiting to finish one project before the next. It was on the Center City Districts schedule in May to start this year. Also supposedly CHOP's master plans on the center city side has gone from two additional towers to possibly three!
Let's hope CHOP finally pushes Boston Childrens out of first place once and for all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2017, 09:34 AM

7,271 posts, read 10,607,615 times
Here's nice write-up on Philly's media sector potential from "The Philadelphia Citizen." A couple interesting excerpts:

Quote:
To put it crassly, we’re the closest Rust Belt city to New York. Want to better understand why Donald Trump got elected? You merely need to go to the Northeast which voted deep red last November. Want to see the opioid problem? Take a quick subway ride to Kensington. I know this sounds smug, but I also know firsthand how moving from New York to Philly offers a new perspective on the problems of no-growth communities around the country; I moved from New York to run a media organization in Philly, and the experience profoundly changed my understanding of American society and made me ashamed of the provincial and superficial perspective of most media in New York.

It’s here that I’ve lived in a neighborhood strewn with vacant houses and lots, seen dozens of my elected officials charged with corruption, worried about lead in my water and backyard, and had a police officer point a gun at me. I also was able to live like a queen on a five-figure salary for most of my professional life, reveled in (until recently) undervalued real estate, got to eat better than my friends in Brooklyn while bringing my own wine to restaurants and could run or bike in the country’s largest municipal park. The narrative of cities like Philly—both struggling and astoundingly vibrant—is far more common than the media has us believe and it would do our whole country good if more storytellers came to their articles and podcasts from this vantage.

I recently spoke with Trevor Kaufman, CEO of Piano, a company that helps publishers build and monetize their audiences. He has opened an office in Philadelphia and is in the process of moving with his family from New York. Given the work that Piano does, Kaufman needed an office somewhere on the East Coast (many of Piano’s clients are in Europe, plus they have two offices across the pond), but didn’t feel the pros of New York outweighed its cons, particularly from the standpoint of hiring talent and competition.

He notes that companies like Google, Facebook, Conde Nast and others could outspend him on recruiting talent, and growing his company didn’t make it any easier. “I was orders of magnitude away from being able to compete. It didn’t get any better when I had 25 or 40 people,” Kauffman says. Meanwhile, after searching for a good location on the East Coast, Kaufman found Philly to have numerous assets: “so many colleges and universities”, “millennials”, “fifth-largest city,” “very low cost of living”, “beautiful suburbs,” a “light industrial” aesthetic. More importantly, others in the Philly tech scene welcomed Piano as a newcomer, whereas in New York he was met with sharp elbows.

“New York is so miserable and Philly is so close. More people are figuring this out,” he says.
The Once and Future Publishing Capitol? - The Philadelphia Citizen

Old 07-19-2017, 12:09 PM

7,740 posts, read 5,524,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandudeyo View Post
I can't wait!
Do we hear any more news about the River Walk towers?
According to another internet stranger the office building that uses the parking lots where these buildings are going sent out a note to everyone yesterday stating the lots would be closed in September for construction of two towers.

In other news:
Sixers trying to shake things up in Camden: https://www.cnet.com/news/nbas-sixer...t-the-process/

New Market going up on Frankford Ave.:
Suraya: Market, restaurant, and garden on way to Fishtown
Quote:
It’s a market/restaurant/outdoor garden called Suraya (say it “sir-AY-ah”), and it’s going into a former machine shop at 1526-30 Frankford Ave., between Jefferson and Oxford Streets. And it’s enormous – stretching from Frankford Avenue all the way back to Front Street.
Theme is the Levant – the eastern Mediterranean area encompassed by Lebanon, Turkey, Syria, Iraq, Israel, Palestine, and Egypt. It’s an area that Beirut-bred co-owner Nathalie Richan (of Café La Maude in Northern Liberties) knows well.
I thought it was nice to see a million dollars has been raised to rebuild and maintain the Waterloo facility in Kensington.
Kensington Rec Center Expected To Receive Some Much Needed City Funds « CBS Philly

GoPuff opened their new HQ in Callowhill last week:
https://technical.ly/philly/2017/07/...-mayor-kenney/

The upgraded North Broad lights have won an award LOL.
https://philly.curbed.com/2017/7/17/...s-philadelphia

Old 07-19-2017, 12:39 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,879,166 times
Quote:
I love how $13M doesn't give you light with the light poles, but an extra $57k does. Sounds like the original scope left out bulbs. Bulbs were phase 2.

Old 07-19-2017, 12:54 PM

9,381 posts, read 9,349,798 times
Quote:
Everything else was great news (especially GoPuff) but these light poles are such a disaster and an example of the corruption and incompetence of the Philadelphia government. At this point I think the city should remove them, cut their losses and start over. Either get rid of the median entirely or invest in some sort of Park Avenue replica with attractive light fixtures and a landscaped median. Such a waste of money and a wasted opportunity.

Old 07-19-2017, 01:03 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,879,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Everything else was great news (especially GoPuff) but these light poles are such a disaster and an example of the corruption and incompetence of the Philadelphia government. At this point I think the city should remove them, cut their losses and start over. Either get rid of the median entirely or invest in some sort of Park Avenue replica with attractive light fixtures and a landscaped median. Such a waste of money and a wasted opportunity.
And they're winning "awards". What a bunch of dopes. Can you imagine what Broad Street would look like if a real government took over here?

- Nonsense street parking removed (except some loading lanes/spots)
- Trees down the median
- Protected bike lanes down the sides or down the median next to the trees with bike lights
- Cross-walk bump-outs and quality sidewalks, islands in appropriate spots

It could be a truly gorgeous "avenue" or "boulevard". Something worthy to stroll on with quality shopping. Instead, we get these flaming turds down the median, which don't provide lighting and are 100% out of place.

Old 07-19-2017, 01:08 PM

7,740 posts, read 5,524,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
I love how $13M doesn't give you light with the light poles, but an extra $57k does. Sounds like the original scope left out bulbs. Bulbs were phase 2.
Lol

Quote:
Well in my opinion, it's too late now but if the middle medians were redesigned with some more flower beds and whatnot, I think you could make it attractive. North Broad is going to take time. They planted trees a couple years ago and they are still pretty small. Will look better when fully grown.

Old 07-19-2017, 01:27 PM

9,381 posts, read 9,349,798 times
PHOTOS: Inside Vanguard

Good news. CC office now open.

Old 07-19-2017, 04:31 PM

Quote:
According to another internet stranger the office building that uses the parking lots where these buildings are going sent out a note to everyone yesterday stating the lots would be closed in September for construction of two towers.

In other news:
Sixers trying to shake things up in Camden: https://www.cnet.com/news/nbas-sixer...t-the-process/

New Market going up on Frankford Ave.:
Suraya: Market, restaurant, and garden on way to Fishtown

I thought it was nice to see a million dollars has been raised to rebuild and maintain the Waterloo facility in Kensington.
Kensington Rec Center Expected To Receive Some Much Needed City Funds « CBS Philly

GoPuff opened their new HQ in Callowhill last week:
https://technical.ly/philly/2017/07/...-mayor-kenney/

A archtecture firm just moved into the EastMarket complex. Also I'm trying to figure out where GoPuff actually is. Is it west or east of Broad?

Old 07-19-2017, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Imagine what's it's like seeing them every single day. Guess who's councilman's district they're in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia