Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2017, 12:16 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,879,166 times

Advertisements

If it seems like dogs are everywhere in Philly's gentrifying neighborhoods, they are

I grew up with dogs and love them. But the number of people getting dogs in this city is incredible. To some extent, I think it's good because it makes a non-social generation more social (neighbors meeting neighbors). But between the logistics to own a dog (dog crap) and the number of inept dog owners I see out and about, it's a problem.

My question is around how people can afford so many dogs when this generation is overwhelmed with student loan debt and high rent. I talked to a barista the other day who was complaining about student loan debt and walking two huskies. Dog food, vet bills, incidents, etc. are super expensive. What is going on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2017, 12:40 PM

9,381 posts, read 9,349,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
If it seems like dogs are everywhere in Philly's gentrifying neighborhoods, they are

I grew up with dogs and love them. But the number of people getting dogs in this city is incredible. To some extent, I think it's good because it makes a non-social generation more social (neighbors meeting neighbors). But between the logistics to own a dog (dog crap) and the number of inept dog owners I see out and about, it's a problem.

My question is around how people can afford so many dogs when this generation is overwhelmed with student loan debt and high rent. I talked to a barista the other day who was complaining about student loan debt and walking two huskies. Dog food, vet bills, incidents, etc. are super expensive. What is going on?
Totally going off topic, but I think my generation has a constant need of gratification, and companionship, and people seem to think a dog is the answer. I have friends who can barely afford rent and then spend thousands on a dumb "designer" dog, because they want a dog. Not to mention how silly it is to spend that on a dog when there are thousands of wonderful cats and dogs in shelters that need a home. Don't even get me started on the licensed support dogs. I don't think dogs should be allowed in certain places, I also speak up if I see someone not pick up after their dog.

My kitty is a rescue, and I chose a cat because they are cheaper and self sufficient.

Back on topi... dog parks are also a sure sign of gentrification, just like Starbucks and Whole Foods.

Old 07-26-2017, 02:30 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,767,494 times
Quote:

Indirectly related. There seems to be a baby boom going on in Fairmount and Spring Garden. And, yes, lots and lots of dogs. How do millennials afford either of them plus whatever they are paying for housing?

Old 07-26-2017, 10:19 PM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,769,524 times
Quote:
Great, but WTF is the realtime info on subway platforms? Outside the restrooms at RTM is hardly the most important place for this information to be posted. Subway and trolley platforms is where I'd start. Then maybe bus stops?
LOL!
You get a point!

Maybe so that non-locals know how to allocate their time appropriately while perusing the restrooms before they miss their train/ bus?

Old 07-26-2017, 10:24 PM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,769,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Indirectly related. There seems to be a baby boom going on in Fairmount and Spring Garden. And, yes, lots and lots of dogs. How do millennials afford either of them plus whatever they are paying for housing?
A very good question.
I had a same question when I lived in Miami.
People out of college or in their early 20s driving Aston Martin or Ferrari. They also live in swanky condos in Brickell, Miami Beach or Midtown.
It turns out that they have nothing in their apartments but bare mattress. $0 in saving account and maxed credit cards which balance they transfer from one card to the next.
I bet some of these people in Fairmount / Spring Garden areas have similar situations.
It is all about priority.

Old 07-27-2017, 07:05 AM

7,529 posts, read 10,266,897 times
Quote:
Great, but WTF is the realtime info on subway platforms? Outside the restrooms at RTM is hardly the most important place for this information to be posted. Subway and trolley platforms is where I'd start. Then maybe bus stops?
The article says countdown timers will be installed at all subway stops by next year.

Old 07-27-2017, 07:10 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,879,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
The article says countdown timers will be installed at all subway stops by next year.
Yeah, they've been saying that for two years now. This is super easy stuff, and it's a high value proposition for riders. Seems like low-hanging fruit that is about to fall off the tree rotting.

Old 07-27-2017, 07:37 AM

7,529 posts, read 10,266,897 times
Quote:
Yeah, they've been saying that for two years now. This is super easy stuff, and it's a high value proposition for riders. Seems like low-hanging fruit that is about to fall off the tree rotting.
We'll see. SEPTA is not particularly well-funded by Harrisburg. I'm not sure it's particularly "low hanging fruit" to install functional countdown timers at every subway station. I think they have their priorities straight by getting the key cards working as well as focusing on the City Hall station, the busiest of the system (though admittedly, that effort is proceeding at a glacial pace). I find myself less frustrated when I set my bar for SEPTA lower than their announced intentions.

Old 07-27-2017, 08:26 AM

288 posts, read 245,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandudeyo View Post
A very good question.
I had a same question when I lived in Miami.
People out of college or in their early 20s driving Aston Martin or Ferrari. They also live in swanky condos in Brickell, Miami Beach or Midtown.
It turns out that they have nothing in their apartments but bare mattress. $0 in saving account and maxed credit cards which balance they transfer from one card to the next.
I bet some of these people in Fairmount / Spring Garden areas have similar situations.
It is all about priority.
That is a stupid, sad, short-sighted way to live. I think financial literacy is very lacking in our generation as well. All these materialistic-centered lifestyles projected (or more like bombarded) to the minds of our generation via social media sets unrealistic expectations of "success" and how they should live. There seems to be less and less common sense and planning, more of living it up "now", and I put "now" in quotes because how long is that gonna last?

Old 07-27-2017, 08:49 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,767,494 times
Quote:
The MTA system isn't all that accurate, btw. I've stopped looking at it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia