Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2017, 11:27 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,879,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
I literally laughed outloud reading this even though I generally agree and it makes sense. Getting any of it though is about as likely as stopping parking in the middle of Broad in S. Philly. Not gonna happen.
Probably right, but we'll see if a lawsuit can do it:

Parking on Broad Street and the Lawsuit to End It | Passyunk Post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2017, 12:06 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,898,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
One of the most backwards BS problems with urban planning in Philly. People just can't seem to understand the idea that by providing parking, you are encouraging MORE drivers to live there AND families that drive typically like additional vehicles.

The number of cars in this city is WAY too high. And it's because of the ridiculously low number of required permits and the cost of a permit. The central neighborhoods should require EVERY car owner to have a permit at the following structure:

Vehicles by household:
1st vehicle: $150
2nd vehicle: $500
3rd vehicle: $1,000 (requires justification)
4th vehicle: CAP - NONE

Force-feed street cleaning and take one parking lane back every four blocks to run BRT down every core neighborhood in the city and you have much improved transit and less traffic congestion. Right now, a quarter of this city's makeup is for private vehicle storage sponsored and paid for by City Hall.

And btw, neighborhood associations should have ZERO input on number of parking spaces for a development. That is something that should be tightly governed by the zoning code, not a bargaining chip for developers to satisfy provincial residents who own four vehicles living in a rowhouse in South Philly.

You're kidding right?

Old 07-31-2017, 12:59 PM

7,529 posts, read 10,266,897 times
Quote:
One of the most backwards BS problems with urban planning in Philly. People just can't seem to understand the idea that by providing parking, you are encouraging MORE drivers to live there AND families that drive typically like additional vehicles.

The number of cars in this city is WAY too high. And it's because of the ridiculously low number of required permits and the cost of a permit. The central neighborhoods should require EVERY car owner to have a permit at the following structure:

Vehicles by household:

Force-feed street cleaning and take one parking lane back every four blocks to run BRT down every core neighborhood in the city and you have much improved transit and less traffic congestion. Right now, a quarter of this city's makeup is for private vehicle storage sponsored and paid for by City Hall.

And btw, neighborhood associations should have ZERO input on number of parking spaces for a development. That is something that should be tightly governed by the zoning code, not a bargaining chip for developers to satisfy provincial residents who own four vehicles living in a rowhouse in South Philly.
Bravo! I wish you were my council rep.

By the way, the practice of parking on the S Broad central turn lane is indeed odd, to say the least. When I ask life long residents about it, many get a somewhat baffled look before responding along the lines of "Gosh, it's always been that way."

This type of response is not unique to lifelong Philadelphia. Natives of communities everywhere don't notice the unusual norms, as they are analogous to fish in water. Life long Houstonians, for example, accept the fact that large flying cockroaches (along with other critters) occasionally come into your house. Many even have a regular visit by an exterminator, just as they might with lawn care (though not as frequent).

As I'm typing this, I'm realize that I'm glad to exchange cockroaches in my house for odd parking behavior in South Philly.

Old 07-31-2017, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Bravo! I wish you were my council rep.

By the way, the practice of parking on the S Broad central turn lane is indeed odd, to say the least. When I ask life long residents about it, many get a somewhat baffled look before responding along the lines of "Gosh, it's always been that way."

This type of response is not unique to lifelong Philadelphia. Natives of communities everywhere don't notice the unusual norms, as they are analogous to fish in water. Life long Houstonians, for example, accept the fact that large flying cockroaches (along with other critters) occasionally come into your house. Many even have a regular visit by an exterminator, just as they might with lawn care (though not as frequent).

As I'm typing this, I'm realize that I'm glad to exchange cockroaches in my house for odd parking behavior in South Philly.
haha, yeah, you're right. It is a fact of life that the norms stack up on us unknowingly. Although if you live in South Philly, you can get cockroaches AND odd parking behavior (not many cockroaches tbh). Hard to believe you can have it all.

Old 07-31-2017, 03:40 PM

Quote:
haha, yeah, you're right. It is a fact of life that the norms stack up on us unknowingly. Although if you live in South Philly, you can get cockroaches AND odd parking behavior (not many cockroaches tbh). Hard to believe you can have it all.
Lol.

Something is in the air. Here's an extremely well-crafted op-ed in today's Inky calling for an end to median parking on S Broad: Median parking on South Broad Street is dangerous and must end | Opinion

Old 07-31-2017, 05:34 PM

Here's an list of 15 ambitious projects in various stages of concetion along the Delaware: https://philly.curbed.com/maps/delaw...t-philadelphia

Old 07-31-2017, 10:36 PM

14,194 posts, read 9,089,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandudeyo View Post
AJNEOA:
I see what you are saying about the parking lot.
But when I looked at the proposal, it seems that there will be retail in the ground floor as well.

cpomp:
Why is it out of the character?

I just want to learn people's objection.
I am kinda neutral on this project - if it is ever realized.
People are also hating the Lincoln Sq. development across the street apparently.
Lincoln Square is put together better than Blatstein's proposal is. The parking garage is partly buried and tucked behind the building, the old railroad freight depot will house a supermarket (needed in the neighborhood), and the building has a lower profile.

That last is not necessarily good, nor a high-rise tower necessarily bad. If there's any street in Philadelphia that can support tall residential towers, it's South Broad.

I think the main objections to Lincoln Square concern its exceedingly unexciting architecture. BLTa (nee Bower Lewis Thrower) is one of the firms that formed the influential "Philadelphia School" of the 1970s, but today it's the Skidmore, Owings and Merrill of Philadelphia architects: they design a slew of buildings, but few of them are truly inspired or striking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
Personally I like both. I think Lincoln Square did a nice thing by reusing the rail shed. The other is cool if it can get tenants and what not, but it may be a bit unrealistic. I don't mind the parking. Until a higher percentage of jobs are in CC, we can't go about making a ton of units without a ton of parking. It's just not feasible on streets where there is no parking. I always thought Washington Ave deserved so much better since it's so wide.
The problem is not so much the parking (although the neighbors are indeed nuts in whining that (a) there isn't more of it (b) "you need two cars to go about your life here" (actual words uttered by a Hawthorne resident at that HEC meeting I mentioned upthread)) as it is how it's handled: it occupies most of the building'a podium, thus precluding any street-level activity that might enliven and activate the huge parcel.

Quote:

Vehicles by household:

"Ridiculously low" number of permits required or "ridiculously low" permit fees? I think the problem is the latter, and your suggested remedy deals with the fees.

But to run BRT, you need a dedicated lane the length of the route, not a lane every four blocks. I can think of some streets in outlying neighborhoods where removing the parking would not be a great hardship.

Quote:
Lol.

Something is in the air. Here's an extremely well-crafted op-ed in today's Inky calling for an end to median parking on S Broad: Median parking on South Broad Street is dangerous and must end | Opinion
That Op-Ed is written by the head of the group that filed the lawsuit. It's an urbanist PAC whose membership is unusually heavy with millennials.

Old 08-01-2017, 06:39 AM

9,381 posts, read 9,349,798 times
Quote:
Here's an list of 15 ambitious projects in various stages of concetion along the Delaware: https://philly.curbed.com/maps/delaw...t-philadelphia
Number 2 is an absolute disgrace, 3 would be amazing, but will never happen, 8 has great potential, 9 will never happen (or at least won't look anything like that), 10 and 11 are such missed opportunities, I would prefer a Trump Tower minus his name on it.

The few projects that will actually happen are nice though, most notably the section capping of 95.

Old 08-01-2017, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
"Ridiculously low" number of permits required or "ridiculously low" permit fees? I think the problem is the latter, and your suggested remedy deals with the fees.
My post spoke to both. A parking permit for every car in the core of the city (South Philly, Fishtown, Port Richmond, Center City (of course), University City (up to 46th street?), Fairmount, Brewerytown, Callowhill, etc.) and the fees associated with those permits needs to rise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
But to run BRT, you need a dedicated lane the length of the route, not a lane every four blocks. I can think of some streets in outlying neighborhoods where removing the parking would not be a great hardship.
I meant that every four blocks there would be a BRT lane running perpendicular. For example, Front, 4th, 8th, 12th, 16th, 20th, etc. would all have BRT running back/forth for the length of the route. In fact, that would require both lanes to be BRT only with one travel lane and no parking lanes. Regardless of the details, it could be figured out and achieved. At the very least, this is needed in CC. How long does this city plan to allow buses to be trapped back-to-back at 12th and Market with traffic? Our small rail rapid transit network could be so much better if we ran true to form BRT.

Old 08-01-2017, 07:42 AM

14,194 posts, read 9,089,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Number 2 is an absolute disgrace, 3 would be amazing, but will never happen, 8 has great potential, 9 will never happen (or at least won't look anything like that), 10 and 11 are such missed opportunities, I would prefer a Trump Tower minus his name on it.

The few projects that will actually happen are nice though, most notably the section capping of 95.
#2: Bart Blatstein going back to his roots. His earliest projects were strip malls, including the one just a little ways up Columbus Boulevard on the opposite side. It seems to me that Blatstein's Moment has passed - the man who discovered urbanism with the Piazza at Schmidt's ("the college dorm I wish I lived in" and a mixed-use project that has never fully lived up to its potential, partly because its central feature isn't on the way to anywhere - a piazza needs to be on a well-trod path in order to function properly) has given up on the concept, 1000 or so apartments at Broad and Washington notwithstanding. I hope Carl Dranoff has something interesting up his sleeve after SLS.

#9: I'd put this one in the "never say never" pile, given that the DRWC wants it. Maybe it won't get Cecil Baker, but I'll wager it will get something there - eventually. (Consider how many iterations the replacement for the Great Plaza went through before finally becoming a Gonna Happen At Last. I remember writing a Metro Commentary Page essay in the Inquirer in 2005, remarking on yet another effort to cram way too much into that small space at Penn's Landing, arguing that the best thing the city could do with the site is leave it alone. At least the cap as designed includes an ampitheater space.)

And speaking of Cecil Baker, note that Shovel Ready Projects turned to him for its turnkey townhouse projects at sites 10 and 11. I think I've remarked elsewhere that he is one of the few starchitects in this city who work predominantly on residential projects. (Which was why I chose him to interview for my second essay in the revamped print edition of Phillymag, available online here.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia