Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2018, 11:35 AM

288 posts, read 245,156 times

Advertisements

ANOTHER Wawa proposed along Delaware Ave:

https://philly.curbed.com/2018/5/3/17316000/residents-proposal-wawa-northern-liberties-waterfront-spring-front-pier-delaware

Seriously, this developer is another idiot out of touch with the surrounding area. The Spring Garden station is right there!! This parcel is ripe for density. Plus, there is another gas station just a block away (unfortunately). And that decrepit strip (literally) mall across the street that needs to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2018, 12:34 PM

9,381 posts, read 9,349,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BK_PHL_DEL View Post
ANOTHER Wawa proposed along Delaware Ave:

https://philly.curbed.com/2018/5/3/17316000/residents-proposal-wawa-northern-liberties-waterfront-spring-front-pier-delaware

Seriously, this developer is another idiot out of touch with the surrounding area. The Spring Garden station is right there!! This parcel is ripe for density. Plus, there is another gas station just a block away (unfortunately). And that decrepit strip (literally) mall across the street that needs to go.
Perfect for mid-rise mixed use, however I see this gas station parking garage going thru. Really sad that a city like Philadelphia still lets this happen in 2018.

Old 05-08-2018, 06:01 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,767,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
https://philly.curbed.com/2018/5/4/1...latinum-market

Hopefully a 2018 groundbreaking... I was also near Drexel last week and noticed that the former Fire Stone is in early stages of demolition. That will be another excellent development for U City.
And, at 42nd and Market, that's barely where the traditional UC has been defined. Building this there is exceptional although there is a new office bldg about a block away on Powelton Ave.

Old 05-08-2018, 04:26 PM

https://www.phillymag.com/news/2018/...-chair-sit-in/

Was society this ridiculous when some of you were younger? I just can't with this lol.

Also, didn't the public have a lot of say in the Love Park redesign, yet now they don't like it?!

Old 05-08-2018, 10:37 PM

14,194 posts, read 9,089,745 times
Quote:

Was society this ridiculous when some of you were younger? I just can't with this lol.

Also, didn't the public have a lot of say in the Love Park redesign, yet now they don't like it?!
I seriously doubt that the park would look like it does now had the public had a significant say in its redesign.

Actually, I suspect that many would have wanted the ledges the skateboarders used to propel the park to international fame back. (That was a non-starter because the last thing the city wanted was to have the skateboarders back.)

Old 05-09-2018, 06:26 AM

7,529 posts, read 10,266,897 times
Quote:

The lesson should be that we don’t let the public vote on park designs or presidents.

Old 05-09-2018, 08:13 AM

Quote:

No. People were too busy mid-day for this nonsense. They were WORKING. Young people were IN SCHOOL.

They are missing the point: bums will come back if you put more seating there. And it will take some time to figure out what a better mix is.

And, it's not done. Can't they see that? The fountain? Who knows when it will be turned on? The saucer building? It's under construction. And here's the other thing. Not a lot of people were totally pleased with Dilworth Park when it first opened. Look at it now.

Old 05-09-2018, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
I seriously doubt that the park would look like it does now had the public had a significant say in its redesign.

Actually, I suspect that many would have wanted the ledges the skateboarders used to propel the park to international fame back. (That was a non-starter because the last thing the city wanted was to have the skateboarders back.)
Correct. A park was built specifically for them. They need to use it.

Did you ever spend any time in the old Love Park? It was an eyesore before the Pope's visit and barely "functioning" afterward. A complete disgrace to be in the heart of the city.

Old 05-09-2018, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post

I am pretty sure they did though... Just like how the city and Brandywine have been super inclusive in the planning of Schuylkill Yards, and not one Mantua resident attended the meetings that I used to go to, and then when final plans are released they will b**** and moan about how the plan will alter their neighborhood (or lack there of). Classic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
No. People were too busy mid-day for this nonsense. They were WORKING. Young people were IN SCHOOL.

They are missing the point: bums will come back if you put more seating there. And it will take some time to figure out what a better mix is.

And, it's not done. Can't they see that? The fountain? Who knows when it will be turned on? The saucer building? It's under construction. And here's the other thing. Not a lot of people were totally pleased with Dilworth Park when it first opened. Look at it now.
Agreed. I actually walked thru it last week, its not Central Park, but its hardly a travesty. However, designing a park that will limit skateboarders and bums will work in any other city, yet in Philadelphia its considered a charity to the elite, why is everything in Philadelphia so politically/racially and classist driven lately? I really do not see this happening in other major American cities, at least not to the extent it is happening in Philadelphia.

That is also a good point, Dilworth opened to mixed reviews and now it is becoming a coveted public space.

I remember the old Love Park, it was ugly, dated, and rather creepy, not something that should be in the middle of Center City, I just am so over people complaining about everything these days. Nothing will ever be good enough for some people.

Old 05-09-2018, 11:04 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,879,166 times
Quote:

Don't these people have jobs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia